Khai Huang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Moving to Darwin
December 18, 2014, 11:51:47 PM
Hi All,

New to this forum and also fairly new to jigging and popping, but fairly keen to get into it.
As the subject mentions, about to make the move to Darwin and wondering what opportunities there might be in that part of the world. From a quick search it looks like the GT popping is fairly limited with a smaller class of fish and generally not being a common target.

Wondering if anyone has tried jigging out there? I am aware that Arafura charters does extended trips on which they sometimes do target fish like ruby snapper (I think ?). I was lucky enough to a little jigging on a recent trip in Tanzania where we targeted ruby's on jigs.

Open to any advice or any information,
If not will just have to settle for the barra :P

Cheers

Thomas Maxted

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Moving to Darwin
December 21, 2014, 07:31:50 PM
Darwin has a chance potential to hold some GT's up to 30kg
After having a family member go on a Barra/Bluewater charter he got some footage of GT's he caught them on trolling lures for Spanish Mackerel and were only up to 20lb
but around the area there should be larger fish and don't quit Barra fishing! Just whilst GT popping expect plenty of toothy by catch and PE 6 should stop most fish in their tracks.
Thomas   

Ryan Keith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
December 22, 2014, 04:44:08 PM
Hi Khai, I can only corroborate your findings. GTs over 15kg are uncommon around Darwin, especially inshore. Rarely do you hear of "big" GTs being caught in the region - the only report I've encountered of late was from Jed Dupe (who is also Darwin-based):
https://www.facebook.com/gtpoppingcom/photos/a.145041555510931.28248.145008992180854/988223751192703/

I've been out on a couple of extended (5-day) charters with Arafura Bluewater, and from my experience, GTs out at the wide shoals will only occasionally take a popper or jig - they're more often encountered as bycatch on trolled minnows. If you want to see what Arafura can offer in terms of jigging, check out the Lyndock Shoal and Evan Shoal albums on their Facebook page - both were compiled from annual staff trips (where jigging is preferred).
If it ain't topwater... quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Khai Huang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 24, 2014, 12:51:43 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I think I will definitely have to suss out an extended charter with Arafura and bring the jigs along. Some nice fish there.