December 31, 2014, 09:39:55 PM

Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:46:47 PM by Jason Haack

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dampier Spring and early Summer
January 01, 2015, 01:08:44 AM
I'm sure it would get old having that fishery on your doorstep....but I'd like to give it a try. :D

Well done.

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 01, 2015, 01:23:52 PM
Great fish....  suprised we don't hear more about GTs and the tropical reef fish captures from WA.  How far offshore do you need to go?

And what happened to the rod?
Focus on the pop

Jason Haack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
January 01, 2015, 02:49:35 PM
Hi Andrew,

The GT action in the west can be fickle and not too many locals are into it, there is only a handful in my local town that would chase them on a regular basis.
The better action is on the outer island reef systems from 10-50km out from the boat ramps.
Dampier doesn't have any guides or charters and the coast line is sparse and not heavily populated, the fishing has been a well kept secret.

The rod was a Ripple Fisher GT78 Power Fight. A solid GT hit boatside and headed straight under the boat, I couldn't back the drag off in time and put too much angle and pressure on the rod. A guide popped out from it's bindings and the rod went off with a bang, still managed to land the fish with half a rod.

Regards,

Jason.

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 02, 2015, 12:06:31 AM
No doubt about it Jas you guys have paradise at your door step mate loved it and cheers again.

I still think about the alleged pod of dolphins that swam directly under the boat under closer visual inspection, they where identified as 5 to 6 Gs in the heavy weight division

Next time will down size my popper size even in QLD the big 190 + Gm poppers seem to noisey and disturbing causing fish to spook.

Ryan Keith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
February 03, 2015, 10:02:34 AM
Awesome stuff, Jason. We're lucky to have such great 'domestic' GT fisheries. Keep us posted with future catches.
If it ain't topwater... quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Jason Haack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 03, 2015, 08:15:35 PM
Awesome stuff, Jason. We're lucky to have such great 'domestic' GT fisheries. Keep us posted with future catches.
That we are Ryan and will keep the posts coming.

No doubt about it Jas you guys have paradise at your door step mate loved it and cheers again.

I still think about the alleged pod of dolphins that swam directly under the boat under closer visual inspection, they where identified as 5 to 6 Gs in the heavy weight division

Next time will down size my popper size even in QLD the big 190 + Gm poppers seem to noisey and disturbing causing fish to spook.

Tony, we found fish at the end of 'that' reef holding all the Fusies behind the breakers, raised 3 landed 2. Will let you know if those monsters come out to play.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 10, 2015, 10:19:47 AM
Solid report well done! Good to see more reports coming out of the NW  :)

Jason Haack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 12, 2015, 10:11:02 PM
Thanks Luke,
May have to join one of your exipeditions one day, amazing fishing in a remote location is on my to do list.

Damien Rynja

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 15, 2015, 11:16:44 PM
There have been many times in my life I have contemplated packing up my life and moving to that part of the world. 10% because of the industry I work in, 90% because of the fishing.
My PB GT came of an ASWB stick, possibly the same as the one in the first photo NW of Lizard Island in QLD.

Can't wait to visit out west...

Jed Dupe

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 16, 2015, 01:20:00 PM
Some Really good fish in there Jas.

Looks like you have them dialled 

awesome stuff