Jose Guedes

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jerry Brown line one solid 65lb
January 06, 2015, 10:41:46 PM
HI,yesterday i was playing with Jerry Brown line one solid 65lb and realized i can splice a loop or conect it  with the 60 hollow core like it was a hollow braid.A little more complicated but doable.Do you think that it weakens the line?

Any comments apreciated.

Thanks

Jose

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Jerry Brown line one solid 65lb
January 07, 2015, 01:00:49 PM
I used to do it quite often in Diawa Boat Braid to get the benefits of solid line but the ease of spliced end loops. No problems as far as strength.

I would usually just add 10' or so for the loop. Inevitably, i would get reefed and lose 30'. Then have to go through the process again. I use all hollow now. I can swap topshots instead of spools. Just got my reels ready for Sri Lanka yesterday by removing 100 yards off each spool and bumping up the line #. Sorry....off topic.

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 08, 2015, 02:29:20 PM
Isn't JB solid 65lb 6 strands (hollow 12-16)? Not sure if the low number of strands would weaken a splice, no idea. Quite surprised it can be spliced!
Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:31:02 PM by Felix Lux

Jose Guedes

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 08, 2015, 07:38:21 PM
Yes it can.Not quite as easy as the hollow but you can open it with a small needle and use it as a hollow spectra.I was surprise too but
the final splice is just the same.Also to connect it to hollow you can work the solid as a hollow and connect line to line as both were hollow

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 09, 2015, 05:30:06 AM
Pretty cool, you never stop learning, no matter how much of a tackle rat you are  :o