Nathan Johns

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Owner st 76 vs shout curve point
January 14, 2015, 07:28:47 PM
Hey guys,

I am new popping and stickbaiting for GT and while I have caught a few decent GT on these Techniques in the past, I would love to start learning the finer details to the sport.

My question is, what are the benefits of a curved point treble such as the shout compared to a standard heavy duty treble such as an owner st76? I will be running the standard GT poppers in fiji in a few weeks such as cubera's, reefs edge and skipjacks.

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Owner st 76 vs shout curve point
January 14, 2015, 08:06:13 PM
The Owner ST76 is the most readily available heavy duty treble on the market they are easy to get hold off and are probably the strongest treble available. They are overkill for most GT fishing destinations if you are dealing with Monster fish, really strong currents or hostile terrain they are a good choice as the odds of them opening under pressure is pretty slim not impossible but pretty slim.

The shout Curve points are about the equivalent of Owner ST66 range and lighter than the Decoy range. They are my personal favorite for general pelagic spinning and lighter GT applications. As for the shape of the hook I can't say I've seen much of a difference between the curved trebles and the traditional ones when it comes to hook ups or keeping fish on the line, I would say it's definitely easier to set the lighter gauge hooks compared to the ST76 but that's to be expected.

Nathan Johns

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 14, 2015, 10:47:38 PM
Thanks for the reply Cameron, answered everything I needed to know and then some!
Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:17:05 PM by Nathan Johns

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
January 14, 2015, 11:41:57 PM
Happy to help bud. ;D

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 22, 2015, 07:44:26 AM
I find the Curve Points stronger (or more consistent?) than the ST66 + they don't scratch up your expensive lures as much. I use them on most lures that are best run with trebles, except gammas. Couldn't sense a difference in hookup rates or staying connected.
Did not yet manage to bend one on kings, while this has happened to me a few times with ST66's. If the reason is general strength or better quality control of the Curve Points, I don't know.

Andy Kim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 01, 2015, 05:02:57 AM
Believe it or not I have seen a friend snap off a shank on the treble off a Shout 31 curve 7/0.  He was casting and one of the shanks got hooked on the rock and he casted.  The rear treble came back with just 2 shanks on it.  I did see a spark when he casted close to the ground.  Not sure if it would have happpend with any other hook but I was amazed that it snapped off and didn't bend.