• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ROCK EXPEDITIONS "FRONTIER REEFS"
Wild Reef Camps January 2015 Trip Report

Louisiade Archipelago, Papua New Guinea
Facebook Report & Photo Highlights: http://tinyurl.com/q4xbdhv
INFORMATION PACK: [email protected]

The Return

The long awaited return to the "Frontier Reefs" at the Louisiade Archipelago, PNG saw us joined by a small contingent of international anglers eager to see what the beautiful area and it's people have to offer. This time a deeper push east to explore the revered Sunken Barrier reef and Sea Monster reef of Sudest Island was the ultimate goal.

The group consisted of Chris from Indonesia, Jimmy from Guam and Mick from Australia. This proved to be the perfect group size for us to resume exploration and pick up where we left our last reef camp boundaries.

It was going to be touch and go if we could make it out to the camps on time; some lingering and menacing low pressure systems threatened to form in to cyclones. Luckily, one low pushed east of the Solomon Islands and the other low, east of Cape York, abated just in time. Our flights from Port Moresby to Misima went off without a hitch and we prepared for the ocean passage crossing to Mwanewa.

The "old man", custodian of Mwanewa, greeted us with the trademark PNG lipstick (Betel Nut) and a huge smile. He was pleased to have us back! He barked and all the boys came coming enthusiastically to greet us and help us offload. Ice cold South Pacific Export beers were promptly thrown the way of the excited anglers and we settled in for an amazing smoked fish meal under the stars. The remaining winds from the low pressure systems, although abating, were pushing the Palm trees around with force. The boys unpacked, switched on headlamps and proceeded to rig their artillery for sunrise fishing. The next day we would be fishing the northern Sudest barrier reefs and Redlick Islet reefs.

Day One

Chris and Mick made for the Redlick Islets. The southern point has treated us very well in the past and with the right current we can see anything from giant Dogtooth, Wahoo, GT and Marlin. The action came fast and furious with the foaming water waking up a school of 50kg class Dogtooth Tuna. The fish were stirred but not quite ready to eat, turning away at the very last moment whilst shadowing lures. Nonetheless, this managed to put quite a smile on the boys. With some persistence and further drifts along the atoll, they managed to deck a healthy GT, numerous Bluefin and loads of Red Bass.

Jimmy and I decided to remain on the eastern side of the great passage and proceed in a NE direction along the northern islands and barrier. Our first drop of the jig had us instantly connected to a double hook up of Dogtooth. Both fish were brought to deck, however, Jimmy had to pay a tax to the sharks. Our next hook ups were promptly run into the reef, further down the drift on another point the fish were substantially bigger than the smaller ones we initially hooked up to. We would not see another Dog on the deck that day, however our excess baggage costs went down significantly due to lost Jigs!

Fisherman Andaman 240g in Blue Pilchard did the damage. By-catch included a perfect eating size Gold Band Snapper caught by Jimmy. Proceeding along the barrier there was no shortage of Bluefin Trevally harassing lures. The GT activity was greatly affected by the current weather and pressure situation.

Day Two

With the wind abating to less than 5 knots and mercury rocketing up to 32 degrees, the plan was to fish the outgoing tide in the morning and make a move during the slack to the next reef camp. This would give the boys a break from the heat and chance to enjoy a beer? or three!

After heading back to Mabui Island, Chris's first drop of the jig in 90m of water hit a freight train at 50m the mark. No doubt this was a giant Dogtooth tuna, managing to pull 15kg plus of drag off like a thread of cotton and reaching the reef another 40m deeper. Chris was speechless. Jig of choice was the Pelagic Warrior 300g in Squid Lumo. Brought to his knees during the fight, Chris still couldn't be happier to have had such a humbling encounter.

When the jigging bite slowed we headed to the fringing reef to find GT. It wasn't long until a Napoleon Wrasse bubbled onto my lure but wouldn't commit to a meal. Very frustrating as you could feel that the fish were here in extraordinary numbers but not quite ready to bite.

Persisting with a Hammerhead I-Cup in Watermelon, a slab of GT appeared magically from behind a bommie. The barbless trebles found their mark on the tentative hit and the fight was on in a huge current. The fish wore amazing brown tinged striations and with the help of Chris and "Tetris", the beautiful fish came on board for a few quick snaps before a spirited release. Combo of choice was the Fisherman GT Game TRSH 76 paired with Shimano Stella 2013 SW spooled with Shimano Power Pro in 100lb hollow.

With the current slowing to a trickle, we headed back to camp for the slack tide and to make a move to the new reef camp. Upon return we shared a beer and stories from the morning session. Jimmy and Mick found plenty of top water Dogtooth to 20kg and GT to 25kg.

Dinghies loaded with all supplies and crew, including our freezer to keep the beers cool, we made a move in glorious oily slick conditions. The conditions were so smooth that you could do handstands on the bow whilst we charged at 25 knots!

Our landing to the new reef camp was beyond expectation. A freshly constructed open air hut complimented by fresh (cold) coconuts to drink and beautiful Sudest pineapples for snacks. This truly is living! The boys took the opportunity to head into the azure waters to cool off before rigging to explore the new grounds that have never seen a top water lure or jig.

A mere 5 minutes from the camp, lies a huge rocky escapement, rather out of place in this predominately reef and atoll environment. Nonetheless, it was prime GT water with deep access to the south, a coral flat to the east and scattered rocks and bommies to the west. The current pushed from the SE and made perfect conditions for whoever could cast first!

Chris's Crusader popper in Qantas Red quickly disappeared with a huge brown shadow appearing from behind. As quick as that, it was all over. What would have been a PB for Chris was dampened by line failure, questionable Daiwa Boat Braid at the centre of our analysis. Chris's resilience was admirable and without complaint he rigged another FG knot and continued casting with passion. Unfortunately, the tally for memorable fish that won their freedom was mounting for all of us.

Jimmy and Chris pushed further east to the next reef with Gin-clear water providing paradise for the eyes. The boys put in cast after cast over amazing bommies and coral flats growing their species count.

Day Three

With a 4:30AM rise, the plan was to push 30km SE to further explore the Sunken Barrier and great Sudest hard reef. Upon first light the boys had loaded up on carbs and coffee...we were off! An impressive current line made for constant activity inside the lagoon as we passed countless tree trunks and flotsam, occasionally stopping to cast. The first Sago Palm trunk floating in the electric blue water was being patrolled by a large Blue Marlin. Not interested in eating, watching him move around the floating debris will be something I will never forget.

Flying fish would scatter as far as the eye could see and large scarlet fusiliers would quiver in fear. This is the most amazing lagoon environment I have ever seen.

Chris stopped to cast on a tree that we passed and managed to tempt out a curious triple tail! Whilst he did not bite, we got the opportunity to add to the ever growing frontier reef resident species list!

As we reached the great southern reef barrier, the boys could hardly contain their excitement. Furious current hit the shallow edge, creating enormous pressure over the shallows and pushing to the deeper edge. The predators in the deep were waiting. Acres of baitfish were being herded, helpless and afraid; conditions were looking good.

Wahoo, Sailfish, Mackerel, Red Bass, Jobfish, GT and Sharks were everywhere. Shot gunning the surface in impressive displays. I'm sad that we were not able to catch the drama on camera. If you didn't have half a dozen follows on the one retrieve, there was something wrong! We landed our fill of everything, however, the GTs simply had lock jaw. Mick managed to tempt one of the timid brutes but it was short lived after a poor lip hook up. Jimmy, continuing his epic blaze of good luck managed to deck a PB GT. A PB that he would break another 2 times! With the right current, wind and pressure - this will one day be one of the top GT fishing reefs in the South Pacific. Without hesitation, mark my words.

Needing a rest, we sped off at a rate of knots to the lagoon, finding the perfect sand cay for lunch, nap and swim. The freshly baked banana coconut bread filled the void perfectly.

The rest of the afternoon was spent fishing numerous shoals and reefs in the unsurveyed lagoon. Lots of promising points and spots that we will be sure to return to. That afternoon we would enjoy some local watermelon and SP beer as the sun took its final resting place over the western side of the barrier reef.
Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:56:01 PM by Amr Kehila

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Day Four

We planned return to the great southern barrier so the day begun early and in a flurry of activity. The islanders were busily getting supplies and rations ready for the huge day ahead which would involve lunch at Panabobiana (Big Island) and fishing along a 20km stretch of deep oceanic shoals if the weather proved cooperative.

The morning current was tough and simply not pushing in the right direction. The ever present Jobfish, Red Bass and Mackerel made up for the lack of more preferred species. However, we never heard any of the guys complain!

The sun was blazing and the wind was without breath, staying hydrated was of vital importance. Slowly, but surely, the baitfish schools returned to the surface and glistening for as far as the eye could see. Again, under those schools, the predators were waiting.

Dogtooth could be seen pushing bait around like rockets; dozens of them. Our lures adding even further excitement to the action as they shocked and split the fusilier schools. Wanting to offer something slightly different to the lumbering stick bait and aggressive popper, I tied on a Siren Bolt and retrieved with a fast steady rhythm. With fish rising all over the place, it was hard to tell exactly what was trying to eat it! I knew we were half a chance at landing this fish as I had armed the stick bait with a steel assist and Shout Kudako in 9/0. My efforts were rewarded with plump 30kg Dogtooth off the surface.

The next cast was even more interesting! A 50kg class GT was disappointingly dismembered by crew of Bronze Whaler sharks. The magnificent black charged GT inhaled the Siren stick bait in an urgent hurry running for over 15m with its back reared out of the water. Oh what a sight; but such a sad ending!

The other boat didn't quite find the same action on some bait schools further east and couldn't tempt a huge Napoleon Wrasse to eat a lure.

Lunch was amazing with freshly smoked coronation trout and Bluefin Trevally while we admired one of the most beautiful ocean landscapes in the world.

Day Five

Today would involve an early morning camp pack up as the boys fished their way down to Bramble Haven, Panarairai and Long Reef. These grounds have been some of our most successful and are due west of the Sunken Barrier reef we had fished prior.

Today we would dedicate a fair amount of time to jigging some key points and pinnacles we have discovered in the past. First drop and Mick came TIGHT! It didn't have that trademark drag-smoking run. Mick breathed a sigh of relief. What breached the surface was a spectacular coloured Coral Trout, one of his biggest!

Waiting for the right current, the boats slowly putted out in the calm conditions to a bommie that sits in 100m of water and rises to just 5m! Undeniably, a top water and jigging addicts dream! We were raising Dogs and losing them. Jimmy lost four in a row and Chris lost two! With that, we had done our dash, the Dogs just wouldn't continue to bite but they were huge!

Traveling along the oceanic passages back to Panarairai, I noticed an explosion of water. Yellowfin Tuna was my first thought but an aggressive, bill waving, Black Marlin emerged again from the water as it rained down on top of petrified Flying Fish! My cast was on point, but the Marlin had disappeared. Where did he go? I sighed heavily and slowly rolled the prototype Siren neutral sinking bait in Rainbow Runner back to the boat. I was about to discover that the Marlin had doubled back under my boat only to come from nowhere and smash it no further than several feet from the rod tip. He hit it like it owed him money and proceeded to relieve the Stella 18000SWB of its line! It was a surreal feeling! We stayed connected for 15 minutes and a dozen jumps, I thought we had him. He spat the hook... What a way to finish the day and oh what could have been!

We would return back to the Sunset Reef camp and discover that the other boys had come upon a school of 40-60kg Yellowfin surface feeding but just couldn't quite get within range as the bait moved at speed in nervous feeding manoeuvres.

Day Six

The boys woke weary and bones aching; the feeling only the dedicated fisherman knows! There were some very tired eyes as the boys prepared their milo and milk, coffee and juicy smoked fish. Not a bad way to start the day.

This morning we would fish the Dog Point bommie and it would give us no breaks. A sizable GT appeared on top of the coral head and I said "sayonara" to the Siren prototype! Dogs lit up beneath the boat but didn't want to feed. Moving on, we would go investigate some new shoals that were covered in fusiliers. Several large GTs came in at once and sniffed out the lures, again exhibiting more territorial deliberate movements than intense feeding. Every time we just could not get the timid bumps to stick with deliberate strikes. It was truly frustrating!

Meanwhile, Mick decides to drop a jig down in 30m and instantly connects to a PB Dogtooth of 45kg!

Cutting across the western lagoon we made way for Panasia Island and onwards to Ral. Ral is an amazing coral reef island where all modes of fishing are possible. From wading sand and coral flats, to popping the close proximity bommies on foot and even live-baiting the giant drop off and ocean expanse. Who will be first to hook a black marlin or dogtooth whilst standing on one of these bommies?

The boys decided to settle in early and enjoy a few cold beverages, coconuts and relax under the open air bungalow. That afternoon we would be treated to an amazing thunderstorm system making its way parallel to the barrier and passage.

Day Seven

The passages would roar with the outgoing tide and current. It was definitely time to put on a 500g jig. The boats would float effortlessly down torrential rivers of water along passage barriers and bommies. The jigs were getting tapped but not hammered. The sudden relief of pressure on the jigging outfits indicated we had found mackerel. We decided to put the jigging outfits away early and concentrate on some pressure points where we had raised GT yesterday.

We chose to move on to the inside reef systems where our hooks started to find their marks. I struck with fervour and connected to a solid GT. With some boat assistance we were determined to move the fish away from some alarmingly shallow reef. What I got back was an opened Fisherman Siden 13/0!

Meanwhile Mick and Jimmy were finding GTs, with ease, working from the opposite end of the system. Coral Trout, Red Bass, Bluefin Trevally and respectable GTs made up their catch.

Day Eight

The last day greeted us and there was a sadness in the air. Although the boys had been fatigued to the max by this paradise and its many monsters they simply didn't want to go home.

Not wanting to waste any time, all the rigs were passed over quickly for a final top to tail of knots and hooks and then loaded into the boats. I think every one of us chose a brand new lure hoping to channel some kind of new lure karma!

The boys were rewarded with all manner of reef and pelagic species. It was mind blowing. Up until this point we had counted approximately 18 random Billfish sightings without even the intention of looking for them. The clusters of birds appeared like smoky clouds on the horizon with the Yellowfin Tuna pushing bait just beyond our casting range. An ending to a trip that made us all too aware that this place will never be conquered and that the monsters will be waiting next time.

Summary

What an amazing return to the frontier reefs! The only "Frontier Reefs" of PNG; a name coined by us and a key group of essential resource owners of PNG. Like many places, the external factors of lunar phase, wind and pressure have enormous effects on the fishery and we continue to be greeted by different scenarios every time. Our amazing exploratory crew made up by an amicable bunch of keen fisherman all had more than ample shots at personal bests and got to see an undisturbed paradise that many can only dream of.

We can't thank the resource owners and traditional custodians of the land enough. Whilst they probably won't read this report, we can't forget the tremendous amount of planning and effort they took from their normal fishing and farming lives to accommodate us so wonderfully. Our sincerest thanks go to the island locals, the operators, the chiefs and their children for sharing their paradise for a mere eight days.

I believe reef camping is truly the most enjoyable way to experience top water fishing in remote destinations. It immerses you in the culture and conditions of the area and what you lose in luxury, you gain in enriching new experiences and kind-hearted island friends.

We are booking the September-February season for 2015-2016 with even more frontiers to be pioneered. The dates will be released shortly but we strongly encourage everyone who is interested to contact us as soon as possible to reserve a position on a first-come first served basis.

Prepared by Luke Wyrsta | ROCK Expeditions | January 2015
Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:05:28 PM by Amr Kehila

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Breathtaking Luke - I have been looking forward to the report and it just looks like my paradise! Some of the crystal clear water shots in the link are beyoind belief - plus that Marlin encounter gets the blood pumping!

You are a true pioneer pushing the boundaries time and time again - keep doing what you are doing!

Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:04:43 PM by Amr Kehila

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Could be any postcard paradise in the world right?

An evening snack of fresh fish after an early dinner.

A little local mixing of Sudest Pineapple, Coconut and Rum  :)

POP!

Every island, every day, just beautiful...

Local, Peter, insisted on this beast meeting the end of his machete :-\

One of the islands camps on the 'Old Mans' island.

Traveling between island camps:

Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:05:36 PM by Amr Kehila

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Breathtaking Luke - I have been looking forward to the report and it just looks like my paradise! Some of the crystal clear water shots in the link are beyoind belief - plus that Marlin encounter gets the blood pumping!

You are a true pioneer pushing the boundaries time and time again - keep doing what you are doing!

Thank you brother! We will talk soon about getting you down here  8)

Appreciate the kind words!
Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:05:42 PM by Amr Kehila

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Epic trip bud  its a huge honour to be lucky enough to fish truly virgin waters i hope i can get out there with you at some stage.
Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:05:46 PM by Amr Kehila

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Pretty work Luke... looks like a hell of a place to spend some time.... Well done on the adventure!
Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:05:51 PM by Amr Kehila
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
If my wife wasn't pissed about me leaving for Sri Lanka in 2 weeks I'd call her and tell her I was going next time. I'll give her a few weeks to cool down, LOL.

At your convenience shoot me some details even if it is general timing and pricing. I would be looking at Jan/Feb of 2016. Cheers. [email protected]
Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:05:56 PM by Amr Kehila

Evan Gluck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Just my kind of report!  Excellent photos and report, which show us not just the big fish caught, but gives a taste of the experience you guys had as well!

Nice work.   ;D
Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:06:00 PM by Amr Kehila

Thomas Maxted

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Luke awesome trip!!!
Good to see big GTs been landed from all around.
The gin clear shallows must be cool to come back home over,
just another great trip from rock expeditions.
a 'Proper' fishing trip!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:06:05 PM by Amr Kehila

Leigh Turner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks for the great photo's and report. What a place, one day  ;D
Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:06:09 PM by Amr Kehila

Mark Tamim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Awesome!  Great read and fantastic pics!  This is on my bucket list!
Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:06:13 PM by Amr Kehila

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Jigging Dog's on the Shimano Blue Rose:

Jimmy with his upgraded PB GT:

Healthy GT found once we ventured toward the barrier reefs:

Another one of Jimmy's PB GT upgrades:

Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:06:17 PM by Amr Kehila

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
If my wife wasn't pissed about me leaving for Sri Lanka in 2 weeks I'd call her and tell her I was going next time. I'll give her a few weeks to cool down, LOL.

At your convenience shoot me some details even if it is general timing and pricing. I would be looking at Jan/Feb of 2016. Cheers. [email protected]

We can do that for you no problem! We will be in touch.
Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:06:21 PM by Amr Kehila

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Thank you to all the others for the kind and encouraging words 8) :)
Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:06:28 PM by Amr Kehila