Matt Bews

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
JM Ocean Devil GT Special
January 31, 2015, 03:28:01 PM
Hi all, have done some searching to no avail... I'm interested to see if anyone has some first hand feedback on this rod - in particular the GT-78.  I notice fish head has them for sale so I'm hoping that someone can chime in here?

It will be used as an all round rod casting both stickballs and poppers up to ~180g but more likely 150 not rigged. Can it fish pe 8-10 as rated?

I'm new to the sport and it seems like too good a deal not to consider and the blank tests look good for the lighter model.

Appreciate any feedback guys, thanks.

David Lumanauw

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: JM Ocean Devil GT Special
February 01, 2015, 09:04:06 PM
A friend of mine use this rod during fight the butt broke just after the blank border. JM monster GT78 are more reliable

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 01, 2015, 10:21:57 PM
Matt, what's your budget mate?

Matt Bews

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 02, 2015, 01:02:11 PM
Tough question Luke as I'm needing an 18000 too considering I don't fish pe8-10 down here.  Was initially thinking ~500 for the rod but that's more likely to be 800 if I can find a second had '08 stella for a couple hundred $ off new.

Trying to play the game of have my cake and eat it too i.e. best rod for least cash.

Appreciate any alternatives I should be considering - am keeping an eye on second hand market also but keen to pull the trigger now, getting impatient!

Matt Bews

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 02, 2015, 04:36:51 PM
What about the N.S Black Hole Black Jack 'Big Pop 76' - anyone loaded one of these up and have any feedback?

Amr Kehila

• Foundation Moderator
  • Fusilier
  • [FORUM IT SUPPORT]
  • Liked:
February 03, 2015, 12:39:41 AM
If your budget is ~$800 you can certainly get the FCL Labo UCB-81 Extreme M or into the selection of Zenaq PE8-10 rods that have a discounted replacement warranty; Fishhead have them too.

Otherwise you could choose the correct rod from the Saltywater Tackle Race Point range (hopefully Sami or someone helps you out here... I've only used the RP250); available from the forum sponsor Saltywater Tackle with pretty good shipping rates.

I've never used a JM but i'm sure someone with tons more experience will be able to share with you.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 03, 2015, 03:39:21 PM
NS Black Hole Big Bop 76 is way too soft.
IMHO its a PE5 rod at best.
Had one. It basically is good for fish up to 15kg if you want any sort of lifting power at all.
Sold mine as the Stella 10k I had it on was too much reel for it.

Matt Bews

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 03, 2015, 10:59:46 PM
Thanks Amr and Sachin, will steer clear of the NS Black Hole.  Unfortunately Amr with the AUD weakening against the USD it's pushing prices up for me to get anything from Sami - have considered that option but would prefer to buy local and actually hold the weapon before parting with my hard earned, have heard plenty of great reports on the race points though.

Any other feedback on the Jigging Master before I concede defeat and start looking in the next price bracket?  Still hoping there may be some optionality....

Jay Kim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 04, 2015, 10:57:37 PM
I had a play with NS Black Hole Big Pop in Korea recently and yes i have to agree felt like a max PE6 rod, although I am told you can put considerable hurt on a PE6 rod, I myself haven't had enough experience with the lighter sticks to confidently tell you.

I have the JM Monster GT 78 and the only issues i've had is working smaller stickbaits, not tippy enough for it - feels like a great PE8 rod though plenty of grunt too.

Chris Toops

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 06, 2015, 03:56:18 AM
I have no experience with the JM rod either mate but I'm sure it will be fine.

I only use a saltiga GT76 on a stella 10000sw. Rod cost me $400 and it works fine for the 120gm poppers and stickbaits I use.  Caught plenty of GTs with it.

Sure you can spend a fortune on boutique Japanese rods but if you're on a budget then the cheaper alternatives also work well.

As for the reel in my opinion it would be wise to stay well away from any current swb model Stella. 

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
February 06, 2015, 02:44:28 PM

I only use a saltiga GT76 on a stella 10000sw. Rod cost me $400 and it works fine for the 120gm poppers and stickbaits I use.  Caught plenty of GTs with it.

Sure you can spend a fortune on boutique Japanese rods but if you're on a budget then the cheaper alternatives also work well.

As for the reel in my opinion it would be wise to stay well away from any current swb model Stella.

Chris I am very interested and I am sure many others would also be, as to why you advise to stay well away from the current SWB model Stella?

Cheers
Craig

Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 07, 2015, 08:45:53 AM
I'm wondering as well. Lots of failures??

Chris Toops

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 07, 2015, 10:05:39 PM

Chris I am very interested and I am sure many others would also be, as to why you advise to stay well away from the current SWB model Stella?

Cheers
Craig

Shimano cut a lot of corners with the swb to save costs.

Obviously most people have seen the Alan hawk review but the four people I know who have the SWB model for jigging have all had them sent back to Shimano multiple times for repairs.....mainly bearings.

sure they fish the hard but that's why the bought such expensive reels.

I have two stella sw's and think they're fantastic.

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
February 08, 2015, 02:03:02 AM
Thanks for clarifying.
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Matt Bews

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 08, 2015, 07:40:55 AM
Thanks Jay, am also wondering whether to run pe8 or pe10, looks as though if I run pe10 I should be considering a different rod? The reel debate plays into my hands as most of the 10000 to 18000 on the second hand market are the 08 SW range.  I know the topic has been raised multiple times here previously but do you think a 10000 SW with a JM 16000 spool will work / be balanced as a pe8 setup with that rod? Cheers guys

I had a play with the saltiga gt76 but felt really light in the tip so more of a stickball rod than an allrounder - was a good looking stick for 400 though.