• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ROCK EXPEDITIONS "FRONTIER REEFS"
Wild Reef Camps April 2014 Trip Report

Louisiade Archipelago, Papua New Guinea
Facebook Report & Photo Highlights: http://tinyurl.com/no6ynu3
INFORMATION PACK: [email protected]

Introduction

April greeted us quickly after the first ever "Frontier Reefs" exploratory trip just six months prior - it was really time to test the waters with a colourful group of enthusiastic top-water anglers and jiggers from around the world. This expedition would see anglers from Australia, Japan and United Kingdom. We would also see a great cross section of anglers, from freshman right through to seasoned veterans, over a hundred years of angling experience combined. These guys were excited to be part of the first groups to pop and jig these waters with some of the latest and modern fishing tackle.

The Journey

The Port Moresby to Misima Island flights went off without a hitch. Checking the weather report prior to boarding I had a good feeling that we would have a glorious open passage crossing from the main island to the first reef camp. The boys grew with excitement and anticipation as they counted the reefs, islands and cays on the scenic flight to Misima airport. The sun was blazing and the flying fish were hauling - I think we counted at least 3 billfish during the crossing.

The old man of the first reef camp greeted us with a smile that I had long missed. We hugged, and before I knew it a can of South Pacific Export was airborne, a calculated trajectory right into my palms, it tasted oh so good and heralded our official return to the Louisiade. The team of Jesse, Kurt, Tom, Tony, Damien and Garry from Australia, Stew from UK and finally, Yoshi from Japan all settled into a cozy island hut unpacking and rigging with the last of the pacific sun.

That night we would travel to the north point of the island under the moon, setting up an enormous bonfire and enjoying the obligatory beers. The boys chatted and bantered about the days to come. This is living!

The Fishing

I could tell that we had a tight-knit group and were ready to push further into unexplored waters, further than we had ever been. The boys paired up and I jumped on to Tom and Kurt's boat - the young guns ready to learn and absorb some new fishing techniques!

The first morning was incredible, each boat having success in a slightly different way. One boat was firing on the top-water dogtooth bite, one was expanding their species count exponentially and Tony and Damo were on to the fights of their lives as they both landed GT PB's. Tony's slab being the best part of 45kg - a real horse of a fish in some of the most coral studded territory you'll lay eyes on. Damo's was pushing mid high 30's.

Stew and Yoshi made quite the formidable pair, having their fair share of highs and lows on some monsters. Although all were safely released, it would be say to safe that Stew could also be a commercial Napoleon fisherman, landing no less than 4 Napoleon Wrasse with a PB of approx. 40kg. Yoshi expanded into the Napoleon count and also had a ball landing a variety of species including his PB GT. Sadly, I'm sure he was hooked up a PB at least double of his current record - the GT can never be underestimated and promptly proceeded to shred his PE amongst the coral heads. Sorry dude!

A couple lines from the boys about their experience:

"The Frontier reefs, Louisiade Archipelago! Are a backdrop to more than just a fishing destination! It's a chance to disconnect from the fast past world! And step onto beaches untouched from that pace!! The chance for Big GT and Doggies exist. Along with a variety of other species! Top-water or jigging it all depends on how much you're willing to cast! After a long day of fishing come back to uninhabited islands crack a beer or a coconut right from the tree!! Than have a meal made by the locals with the day's catch! All in all it's an experience for a life time!!" - Yoshi

"Fishing Louisiade Archipelago, Papua New Guinea with Luke Wyrsta was an experience of a lifetime. If you want wild untamed adventure with beautiful scenery 360 degrees, this is the place to go! The fishing isn't bad either. With numerous species from shore and boat, the anticipation of the next catch was intense. My ambition to catch a Maori Wrasse was fulfilled (I got 3) and the location and fish there will never be forgotten with a top-water Dogtooth Tuna to top it all off. This expedition is not for the faint hearted, but the rewards can be outstanding. A very well organised adventure thanks to Luke and will definitely return in the future. Cheers mate!" - Stuart

Gary and Jesse were a rowdy and awesome company! They came loaded to the brim with an assortment of popping, jigging and shore casting kit - boy, I love it when anglers come ready to take advantage of every single opportunity that comes their way. The boys nailed plenty of mid-sized GT on the top-water whilst getting dusted by more than a few beasts - faithfully guided by "Kiki" and "Stafford". On the final day, jigging one of the lagoon points, Jesse got redemption after dozens of deep drop reefing failures - hooking the fight of his life - battling a 70kg Dogtooth! Sadly, the Dogtooth was taxed by a large reef shark. Regardless, the slightly less than compete Dogtooth would make an amazing island feast for the local community.

The land based fishing on the expedition was nothing short of magnificent... Waking up in the early hours, Kurt snuck off to cast poppers on the rising tide at the North point of one of our camps. After realising that Kurt had been missing for half an hour after breakfast, we quickly ran around to the point to find him - to our amazement he was nursing a 45kg Napoleon Wrasse in the surf, both beast and angler lay depleted as they each negotiated the coral bomboras to beat each other. A true cover shot worthy species...we nursed this Napoleon back to good health; swimming her for 20 minutes inside the shallow flats. The next morning, Tom would follow in similar fashion, however, he would catch his first ever GT - it was even more memorable. He would follow-up this capture with another first, a Chinaman Cod caught off the flats casting into a reef gully only a few feet deep. This spectacular marked fish was promptly dispatched and prepared into a broth. The locals boiling the oily flesh until a strong, fatty red broth was ready for consumption (no ciguatera).

There's is literally a book we could right on the expedition - with so many great anglers able to forge their own way in the Frontier Reefs - there are chapters for all. However, this location is a journey with so many more experiences ready for new anglers to come and explore for themselves. The local community is extremely welcoming and friendly and the location is about as pristine and on the edge as it comes. Did we mention that there are monster fish here?  Well that too, we've had Dogtooth roll onto stickbaits in excess of 80kg on the top and we've had several near-spoolings by Volkswagen sized GTs that are hooked on the reefs edge and travel along the drop face until only a few turns of PE are still on the spool. Yes, given the right environment, a GT can spool you on PE10! We've seen it in New Caledonia and now we've seen it in PNG. So, what are you waiting for? Come and enjoy an expedition either as an individual angler by joining bunch of likeminded explorers or get your own group together which we can also accommodate!

Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:48:16 AM by Amr Kehila

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Current vacancies are available in September, October and limited number in February (2016).

INFORMATION PACK: [email protected]

Hamad Alroumi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Solid report !!! I hope one day I'll join on of your trips !!good luck on your next trips

Tight lines !!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Solid report !!! I hope one day I'll join on of your trips !!good luck on your next trips

Tight lines !!

Thank you Hamad. Looking forward to seeing you down here!

Mark Stylianou

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:

Anthony Krav

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
PNG on cards for 2017! Awesome pics. 2016 got Three Kings NZ Feb and doing a trip from top of Cape York (Horn) down to Lizard Island on Great Barrier Reef in June for GT's and Doggies