Clinton Bush

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help planning a GT popping trip in July
April 14, 2015, 07:01:40 PM
First post on this site. I am considering a trip to the Pacific/Asia this july during the Victorian school holidays (26th june-12th july).  Interested in mainly GT and Dogtooth.  I am open to suggestions to anywhere, (Christmas Island, Fiji, PNG, Palau etc etc) as this will be my first overseas poppering trip.  I don't care for the quality of food or accommodation, as I would rather keep the price down. I don't care for other activities for kids or partners, as I have neither. I am only working in a graduate position so I will be on the cheaper side of poppering trips compared to some others. 

Open to any ideas.

Scott Findlater

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Re: Help planning a GT popping trip in July
April 15, 2015, 08:07:46 AM
Hi mate,

I have stayed at the VoliVoli resort in Fiji which was quite a cheap option. I haven't fished it but there have been a few posts regarding it, check some of the archives.

What about something closer to hand? I know Johnny Mitchell runs GT popping charters out of Shoalwater bay in Central QLD. JM is a freak of a fisherman and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending him when chasing G's.

Cheers,

Scott

Clinton Bush

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 15, 2015, 08:52:30 AM
Ok thanks I will look into Fiji. Qld is always an option, but I would probably take my own boat up if i was going to do that. Fishing wouldn't be as good, but a lot more satisfying in your own boat I think ;)

Derek Mock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 21, 2015, 10:55:32 PM
Hi Clinton,

I also recommend the Voli Voli option having just been back from a trip in March. See my report and video.

I see though from another post you are thinking whitsundays. I have also fished here as well and really enjoyed the variety - GTs, trout, emperor etc.
Port Douglas is another economical trip but the miles trailing a boat is really quite far.

Have fun!

Clinton Bush

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 28, 2015, 08:36:23 AM
Thanks. How much was the boat in Voli Voli per day? Do they do share charters?

Nathan Johns

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Hi clinton,

Myself and a few mates were in the same position as you a few months ago and opted for a trip to fiji (report soon). Anyway, there are plenty of comfortable resorts around the islands for under a $100 a night. we split between 3 people making it around $40aus each and found our own spots (courtesy of google earth) and hired the locals. Most of them haven't a clue about fishing so make sure you do your research.
whole trip cost roughly $1500 each for flights, accomodation, boat/ driver hire and food.

highly recommended.

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
Great work Nathan - did you do a trip report? Really interested in your approach mate!
ebbtidetackle.com

Nathan Johns

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Not yet john, will be doing so this week. Going back later this year for round 3

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
Good luck!
ebbtidetackle.com

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 22, 2015, 07:48:12 PM
Take a look at Aitutaki ( cook islands) some great gt fishing close to Australia and a good exchange rate to the nz$.

Cameron Saron

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
September 23, 2015, 02:17:46 PM
I had a great time at Wilderness Lodge, Solomon Islands. I didn't get any monster GT but hooked plenty and its very reasonably priced IMO. I also got onto some nice YFT on stickbaits and trolled up a Sail which was fun.