David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
38kg handline caught GT
July 31, 2008, 11:59:09 AM
A mate of mine just fished Levuka Fiji and sent me an update and photos of a 38kg GT caught on a handline!!  ::)
Good to hear the simple methods still get results  ;)
I dont know whether the handline was a Japanese made Carpenter, Smith or Shimano...  ;D

Classic

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: 38kg handline caught GT
July 31, 2008, 02:33:16 PM
Any chance of posting up the pics?  ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 31, 2008, 02:40:13 PM
it was probably one of those limited edition made in China plastic spools!!  :D

A mate of mine just fished Levuka Fiji and sent me an update and photos of a 38kg GT caught on a handline!!  ::)
Good to hear the simple methods still get results  ;)
I dont know whether the handline was a Japanese made Carpenter, Smith or Shimano...  ;D

Classic

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 31, 2008, 09:48:35 PM
That is seriously out of control, I love it.

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 01, 2008, 06:45:52 AM
The only picture I saw was of the fish back at the weight in.... :(
It would have been great to see an action shot of this style of fishing for GT's.

cheers Dave

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 01, 2008, 08:37:12 AM
I saw some shots, and heard first hand accounts, of a guy taking on an approx 20kg yellowfin on a handline recently, only to lose it at the boat following a missed gaff shot...I thought that was crazy but this is a new level...what an amazing connection to the fish!  :o

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 01, 2008, 09:54:54 AM

Hand lines are a form of fishing that I think we should all do every now and then. It is extremely rewarding and a hell of a lot of fun, if you can think of a fish species, I can assure you it has been caught on a hand line, even the whoppers - I was watching a DVD on guys catching those 5-700 kg Tuna on handlines , now thats a challenge. Our NZ mate was catching Blue Marlin as well. It amazes me the understanding of line pressure you can apply and the fighting habits of different fish with the hands on line feeling you get through handlines. Not for everyone I understand, but if you what a new thrill and have never had a good go at it, try it - I think you will have a good time.

Not to mention the ease of maintenance and cost to get involved - unless you buy those "limited edition chinese plastic ones".......

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 01, 2008, 10:02:28 AM
Pete - did you say 700kg tuna on a handline?  :o
Are you kidding?!

MikeOsborn

August 01, 2008, 10:32:19 AM
lb maybe? ;D

A friend of mine came round last week with all his footage from last years Bluefin Tuna season where he was working as a deckie. they had a few attempts at handlining big fish(300kg+) its impressive to see the raw power of the fish ragdolling 3 guys around the cockpit..
He may have put some on youtube although for some reason I cant access that at work ::)

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 01, 2008, 10:35:37 AM
Brandon,

I kid you not. These boys were pulling up next to the tuna boats, throwing out a bit of hooked bait on a handline and then it is on...... I didnt get the name of the DVD but it was for me, truley inspirational. My dream it to catch one of those giant blues, watching  6-700 kg (which is what they were quoting the weights as)Tuna launch at a tuna boats retreived nets and inhailing the catch out through the net is one thing I must witness.

I found this link to some "baby ones"  http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=imXhJvR2G3w&feature=related
and a similar technique to get some kind of understanding but believe me you can catch some serious fish on a handline.

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 01, 2008, 10:37:14 AM
I've heard one reliable report of a drowning (can't remember which Pacific island?) of a local lady, fishing in longboat, and the 300lb handline got tangled round her leg, bit fish (GT) on the other end..  Was dragged into the water and drowned.  
But that's a whole new can of worms..and stories!

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 01, 2008, 10:53:07 AM

It would have to be Lb not KG wouldnt it ?  ::)

Sorry. :-[

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 01, 2008, 12:53:12 PM
thank Pete - even at lb, that is an insane fish 

David Clumpner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 01, 2008, 03:30:17 PM
When I was in Palau the family I was living with caught two 175lb. marlin in one day off handlines.

And here in Japan, just a few weeks ago, a guy on my island caught a 200kg marlin off a handline.  He said it took him just 20 minutes.  He had some pretty mean cuts and scrapes on his left arm.