Sammy Hitzke

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hook configuration on floating stickbaits
June 13, 2015, 10:00:17 AM
Hey guys,

On a recent GT trip I was having a discussion with our guide, he was singing the praises of having a few good floating stickbaits in your lure wrap. He was saying that some days the sticks would completely out fish a popper or sinking stick. So not needing any more encouragement to buy some gear I got a couple.
My question goes out the the more experienced guys in regards to rigging. I've heard hook configuration can make or break the floating sticks action so I was hoping someone could share some wisdom on rigging these bad boys!
I generally prefer to run trebles but am open to singles if they are a lot better.

Here is the list of what I need to hang hooks off. If anyone has used or rigged these successfully feel free to chime in what you used!

-PD baby pat 220- 90gram
-PD Fat pat 260 - 150gram
-craft bait dartbait- 130gram
-temple reef slither 150gram

Cheers,
Sam

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hey mate,

There's some guys on here much more qualified to comment than myself.

You might have to do a bit of old school test and adjust. Start with the smallest hook size you think applicable and then work up from there. Last thing you want is to be doing your trial and error on day 1 of a trip while those around you are getting bent. This provides a good opportunity to work out how they swim and the best rod actions to use etc.

Hope someone can give you a bit more info otherwise get those split ring pliers ready to rumble and get out for a cast.

Cheers.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Sam,

I'm not terribly familiar with any of the lures you've chosen but the best advice (which Lucas also gave) is to just try different combinations. In my experience most floating stickbaits, particularly Japanese ones, were designed to be used with a treble on both the belly and the tail and that would always be my preference.

However, some operators insist on their clients using singles when fishing with them and it will have paid dividends if you have worked out which of your lures tolerate singles and which do not. Generally, I use the biggest hook that the lure will accommodate comfortably, either single or treble.

Regards,

Trev   

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Although I cannot speak directly to your chosen lures, I can give some general observations as I build a few lures and absolutely test all my lures at the dock before I am on the boat.

For stickbaits I have found that a single rear hook increases action dramatically. The rear treble acts like a parachute.

The issue with swapping this out is primarily casting aerodynamics and sitting attitude. For an "ass" heavy stickbait that should be fished with long sweeps, making the treble to single hook change can change the lure into a more horizontal "walking" stickbait. A good size treble is pushing 20 grams while a good size single is 7-9 grams. Going lighter on the belly treble when using a single on the rear can let the lure sit properly many times as you are just evening out the ballast.

I personally have not found a good belly hook single combo whether it is 2 hooks ziptied or whatever, I like a treble on the belly. Some guys like the single on a short assist off the nose, not me. Although I will do that on shorter poppers that like to get fouled on the belly treble. Different discussion there though.

Without hooks I like my baits to sit slightly ass down, just slightly. Like this:

Then with hooks, I like it to sit like this:

You can of course do this in your sink quite easily and quickly, getting close to the right combinations, then run down to your local watering hole to test. This is my personal preference and allows for the long sweep technique, head bob, sweep again. It is all about keeping the ballast correct. Change 1 hook and you likely have to change the other. I write the hook configuration on the back of the lure with a Sharpie Pen since I store them without hooks. 

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
"I write the hook configuration on the back of the lure with a Sharpie Pen since I store them without hooks"

Thats a really good idea! Thanks

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I am not overly familiar with all of those lures you have mentioned.

There is no one stop solution with rigging though and as others have said, you need to test each one individually.

For some floating stickbaits, a single on the tail will improve the action. For others, it is not a good idea at all.  Critical is not to over-hook them and deaden the action.

As for the efficacy of floating stick baits, I could not agree more with the guide you told you that they are very effective lures for GT fishing. Indeed, this is possibly the most effective lure type of all.  It is very important to learn to use them properly. Working floating stick baits is something of an art and needs to practiced and practiced. Rod skills really come to the fore with this type of lure.

Sammy Hitzke

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:

As for the efficacy of floating stick baits, I could not agree more with the guide you told you that they are very effective lures for GT fishing. Indeed, this is possibly the most effective lure type of all.  It is very important to learn to use them properly. Working floating stick baits is something of an art and needs to practiced and practiced. Rod skills really come to the fore with this type of lure.

Cheers Mark,

Could you give an example of some effective retrieves? Or how you like to fish them?

Alex Gomez

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Plenty of video's on you tube Sammy.  Type in the name of any popular stick baits like say Gamma 120 and there should be some footage. This one from Hitter Lures is pretty good.

With regard to testing the lures in the sink I'm not sure if it would work that accurately as saltwater is more buoyant than fresh water??  I suppose it also depends on the kind of lure you are using as some will be more finely tuned & sensitive to weight than others.

As The guys said it really is all about practice, I practice in Sydney harbour in sheltered bays just to create the muscle memory needed for working each lure. I can achieve some nice bubble trails now but consistency is the key!

Good luck with it, there nothing better than getting your first hit when working a lure effectively!

Cheers AG