Jason D'Angelo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nomad - Bligh Reef
July 15, 2015, 11:38:34 PM
Looking at doing a Trip to Bligh reef for a few days with nomad, just wondering if any one has done this trip and

their thoughs and experiences

what to expect etc

cheers heaps
Pain is Temporary, Glory is forever.

Jason D'Angelo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Nomad - Bligh Reef
August 03, 2015, 05:40:39 PM
Planned a trip in November Very keen

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 03, 2015, 08:32:40 PM
I've been there. What would you like to know?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jason D'Angelo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 03, 2015, 09:38:08 PM
Cheers for your help Brandon,

on the boats their is a max of 3 angler so 2 others plus myself,
Nomad said i can as man set ups as i like,
im thinking of running 2 6500 saltiga setups with 100lb Jerry Brown one for stickbaits and one for poppers would this be the easiest way instead of using one setup and changing over lures from poppers to stick baits?

also have 2 saltiga 4500 setups which im going to be running 65lb jerry brown on, same one with stick bait and popper for the smaller reef work. Would it be convenient to run two 4500 set ups, did you use 2 setups for this lighter reef casting work or would i get away with one combo to do this work?

and the would i be required to bring and lighter set ups or is 65lb the lightest you would run, i heard there are some big reef fish when fishing the reefs with the lighter gear and would hate to get dusted even though you would still get dusted on some fish with the 65lb. but be safer to fish heavier then lighter?

or should i bring ligther set ups which i do have, i just dont want to get there and then be limited to the combos i can bring on the boat, ie to many combos and not enough rod storage on the boat for my own gear as well as the others gear.
Thanks again

Jason D'Angelo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 21, 2015, 07:10:28 PM
any one going on this trip?
booked one in november.

Amr Kehila

• Foundation Moderator
  • Fusilier
  • [FORUM IT SUPPORT]
  • Liked:
August 21, 2015, 10:15:53 PM
LOL Brandon never replied here? Send him a PM Jason :)

Dan Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 09, 2015, 03:45:52 AM
I have been on this trip.  It was awesome.  My lighter setups were probably too light (2500 size with 50lb braid) and I lost a lot of lures in the reef but still landed some nice fish.  For the heavy popping I used a Smith Komodo Dragon with Saltiga Dogfight and 100lb Izorline Braid and for heavy stickbaits I used a Carpenter Coral Viper with the same reel model and braid.  100lb leader for stickbaits and 200lb for poppers tied with a Pena knot to the braid; nothing fancy.  I had no issues at all with my heavy setups and only lost one or two lures during the week.  On the lighter stuff I lost about 20+ lures.