Brett Methven

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ROCKHAMPTON area expedition - Peak Island??
July 30, 2015, 07:13:03 PM
Hey guys I am putting together a bit of an expedition to Rockhampton area and am after any and all helpful info on the area for finding the brute GT's.

I have done the usual google earth and google search on the are but its pretty tame as to actual GT locations.  We are a bit restricted in having only a 4.3m with a 50hp four stroke but being from Hervey Bay we travel up to 60kms up the island most trips no worries (obviously weather providing)

I have picked out 3 main locations as a starting point:
> Peak Island
>Flat Island (or flat rock)
>Double Rock

Has anyone had any experience around this area? Good all bad I'll take it all.  We are looking around October November for the trip so plenty of time to adjust the plan of attack given the responses...

Thanks all :-)
Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:15:48 PM by Amr Kehila

Damien Rynja

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Are you suggesting launching from Hervey Bay to hit this doot?
I'd be taking a closer look at the map mate.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I think it is an excessive risk in such a small boat
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Brett Methven

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
hahahahaha no guys we are staying in a caravan park and launching in a creek close by to the islands... Ill be driving up past Rocky and basing ourselves close by for the week so we can play the weather and dip in the creeks if it get too bad.

As for an excessive risk... well... no risk no gain! cant catch a fish sitting in front of the computer lol Plus we have a few of the Fishing Apparel crew do this on a pretty regular basis out of a 4.5 with a 30hp but they pick the weather.

Damien Rynja

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
You can fish the GT grounds in a small tinny. The islands east of 5 rocks are eeasily accessable if you pick the weather.

Leigh Turner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I can't answer your question but its good to see another hervey bay person on here.
A few rocky locals, I have worked, with have mentioned the area of 5 rocks. Good luck with the trip. Leigh

Leigh Turner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: ROCKHAMPTON area expedition - Peak Island??
November 08, 2015, 07:26:40 AM
Brett, how did you go? Leigh

Brett Methven

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 09, 2015, 08:45:12 AM
no good mate...

Split the hull on my 6m centre cab 1m and pierced the fuel tank on the way to shoalwater bay.  Almost exploded and sank the boat :-( we did however get saved by a very generous lad Graham Scott... He took us out for a spin in his boat and then leant it to us for the remainder of the trip so at least we could get a couple of days in :-)

Unfortunately the weather was not the best either so we only go two short sessions in.  managed to raise 7 odd fish for the trip and hooked in to one but pulled hooks trying to lock up when it dove over a ledge.

Bit of an emotional rollercoaster of a trip but definitely fish around and we'll definitely be back to give it another crack!

Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 08:47:08 AM by Brett Methven

Leigh Turner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 09, 2015, 08:12:50 PM
Bugger about the boat. Nice of him to lend you his. I was wondering if the weather would stuff it up. Always next time. Atleast you raised some fish.

Brett Methven

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 10, 2015, 08:48:20 AM
Yea mate its always a gamble... took a bit to suss out the area too but we know what to do for next time now.  I was actually surprised of the size of fish as well.  3 of the fish we saw would have been between the 25 - 30 kg mark and a fair few black GT's as well.

James Yerbury

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 10, 2015, 09:30:03 PM
man sucks to hear about the boat you will have to explain a bit more..

good to hear reports on the fish as well i am keen to get up there in the next couple of months

Damien Rynja

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 12, 2015, 10:58:15 AM
Too bad about the boat mate!
But keep at it I'd love to read more local area reports...

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 11, 2016, 07:58:06 AM
Man thats some bad luck hey.
Would be interested to hear what happened to the boat.