Tyler Bryant

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
oman no bounderies trip 2017
November 25, 2015, 09:48:39 PM
hey all looking into booking a trip in 2017 with no bounderies

just after some general info on what to expect / take with us

after a fair bit of reading still have a lot of questions regarding tackle from hooks ( size and brands ) to rods to how many luers to take line and leader ect ect as there are so many options just really after a solid starting point rather buy all the right gear once then umm and arrr over if I should have just brought it .

will be buying all gear needed over the next year before we head over there

so far I'm looking a the saltiga dogfight x2 one on a popping rod and the other on a stick bait rod so less down time swapping and changing luers
and a salting 5000 on a daiwa demon blood

this will be our first big fishing trip away so any info will be great and thanks for your help

cheers tyler

Hubert Viljoen

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Re: oman no bounderies trip 2017
December 02, 2015, 07:59:01 AM
Hi Tyler,

Just a general heads up from a novice popper addict ......

Taking on Oman for a first trip would probably leave you guys dumbfounded to this awesome sport/hobby that we love so much.

There is awesome playing fields that you can explore to get yourself "into" the game. (On a side note..... you dont really ever get to understand everything from what i understand)

I would suggest you ease yourself into something less taxing for virgin trip.

Im not gonna make suggestions. There is tons and tons of info on this site on very nice locations to go to as a "Intro" trip that would probably be the bees knees for you.

But hey........ its only my opinion and if your set on hitting Oman.....

Greets

H

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 02, 2015, 08:22:15 AM
Interesting.... Follow.

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 03, 2015, 10:30:17 PM
Tyler,

I haven't fished with Ed but have fished near there .

My Preference is heavy popping tackle I don't really fish lower than PE 8.

My Selection to you would be determined by your physical attributes weight do you exercise regularly.

What you are embarking on could be a hell trip where you connect up to Four Five GT in an afternoon up and beyond 50Kg example watch the "The Perfect Day" if not one of the wildest action packed movies going please remember the guys fishing are some of the best in the business.

Personally For me I like the following this is all PE 10 and up some others could probably help with your lighter gear selection.

Rods:

Fisherman 7'4 GT Monster.
Fisherman 7'4 BG Jack.
Patriot Design Black Mafia 7'8.
Ripple Fisher Final Spirit 7'8.

Connection To Lure:

NT Power Swivel.

Uni Knot to Swivel for up to 200 lb, then I crimp from there on up in leader size.

Leader:

Shogun Big Game Leader 330 lb.
Shogun Big Game Leader 270 lb.
Varivas Shock Leader 200 lb.

Leader to Braid Connection:

PR knot.

Braid:

Jerry Brown 130 lb Hollow.

Reel:

Shimano SW 1800 Stella.
Daiwa Saltiga 6500 H.

Poppers:

Craft Bait GT 3 190 / GT 3 170.
Glide 180.
Reefs Edge Roey 160
Fullscale Kong & King Kong 160 - 210
Reefs Edge Roey 160
Fisherman Paro Paro (Game Changer)

Stick Baits.

ASWB F1-170
Glide 270
FCL Labo CSP 260
ASWB SS-130 Scad (Squid Color).

Hooks: (I fish Singles and de barbed Bakers Rig size of lure determines size of hooks).

Tail:

Shogun Assasin/Viper 10/0 - 12/0.

Belly:

Fisherman Spinoza 12/0 - 8/0.

Split Rigs:

Owner 11/11H

GT fishing involves a great deal of luck as so much pressure is put back on to the fisherman alleviate some of this by the following.

Knots need to be a 110% Tied learn now before 2017 and master it PR Knot/FG Knot etc.
Make sure your spools when getting them loaded in the store have excessive torque applied so that under load your braid doesn't bind in causing breakage.
Remember you want to optimize your fishing time practice casting and popping before the trip it all helps.

Good luck and there are plenty of people out there that have nailed big GT on there first trip just go prepared and enjoy the best Game Fish out there.

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 04, 2015, 06:16:45 PM
Hi Tyler,
I suggest you to get in touch with the operator to put you in track on what kind of equipment is suitable for the task,
that is your best bet as they fish the area more than anybody else and they are on the water on a daily basis.
good luck Oman is a beautiful destination!

Tight lines
    Sami

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
December 04, 2015, 11:11:58 PM
As was previously stated I would highly recommend you go on a practice trip or two before hitting SO, The fish there are very big but its not a location that offers non stop action and there is a lot of hard work to be done before you get your hits, you have to be able to make every opportunity count. Its not a place to go learn how to catch GT's as you'll more than likely receive a beatdown or drop the fish that makes the trip, try and get out beforehand with some guys who can show you the ropes, teach you how to work the various lures you are going to blow a fortune on and get your casting up to an acceptable level.

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 14, 2015, 05:44:35 AM
I can attest to getting a beat down, if you are not prepared well. Tackle and casting wise, I was fine, but not in terms of strength and fighting technique when hooked up to a big GT. I was a bit sick before the trip and couldn't put in enough gym time due to this and work, but would still consider myself half way fit...which wasn't enough. Also in terms of fighting technique I learned my lesson there...straight arms, straight back, bend knees, etc.. Not a problem when you're on some 10kg fish, but when you hook a big GT instinct kicks in and suddenly it's all forgotten hehe.

If you are new to GT fishing my advice would be to prepare yourself physically as much as possible and also practise technique as much as you can, because casting a PE10 outfit and then fighting a big GT will push your limits. Knots and tackle have to be 100% as you would kick yourself messing up the part that you can control...

I put a fair bit of research into it, before going and asked a few of the experienced guys on this and other forums, so I can give you a run down on tackle. It's not a complete list, only a few examples of the stuff that is up to task.

As for terminal tackle:

- Trebles Gamakatsu GT Recorders in 7/0 and 6/0
- Singles Shout Kudako in 9/0 and 8/0, Decoy JS2 Cutlass in 10/0. Any hooks have to be DEBARBED
- Owner Hyper Wire 11H and Carpenter 350lb good pair of split ring pliers
- Swivel NT Power swivel in 2/0

Leaders: about 200lb in good brands, like Fisherman Stealth, YGK gallis absorber, Varivas, KNOT TENSIONERS are a must if you are going to use friction knots like FG's or PR's

Line: quality PE10, like Tasline 100lb, YGK WX8 ultra cast man, Varivas Aviani GT Max

Lures: Good mix of poppers, floating and and sinking stickbaits and a pencil or two. Main concern is the lures wiring being up to scratch and swimming well with the big hooks. I would just buy a few well proven ones that handle the big terminals and that's it, no experiments. This includes Orion Big Foot 180 sinking stick, strategic angler walker, MB Lures 217 stickbaits and the larger Moses Poppers, FCL Labo large CSP stickbaits, Orion Flapper skipping lure, Full Scale Long Kong and Kong 200, Adhek Big Buffalo, Craftbait GT3 170, Heru Cubera 180 and 150g, if you are good with stickbaits Carpenter Gamma 160

Reels: Stella 18k, Saltiga 6500-8000 in high gear

Rods: Whatever can fish PE10 and cast lures 140-200g that carry big terminals. I brought Anallrounder for the smaller poppers and stickbaits + a dedicated popper rod for the big stuff + a backup stickbait rod that I had anyway for big local kings. Rods and lures are a very personal thing and I don't have the experience, so best do more research and make up your own mind. But a popping rod and a stickbait rod are a good plan. Maybe also bring a cheapish/second hand allrounder as your backup. And generally you can pick up top end rods for ok money second hand.
I would also not make the mistake of buying one of those mean PE10-12 fast action broomsticks when you are just starting this game...I have made this mistake too :D Rod made it pretty comfortable to pop big poppers, but was also a killer once hooked up. Also I would not buy too many of those 200g poppers, as they are very hard work, pretty much impossible to use all day unless your technique is top notch and you are very very fit. Better go with 150-180g lures mostly with maybe a couple monsters mixed in.

You also want to bring PE2-3 stuff around 20-50g lures for light tackle fishing and a PE4 (+\- a line class) jigging outfit with 100-250g jigs.
Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:54:19 AM by Felix Lux

Graham Carver

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
December 15, 2015, 08:26:17 AM
Prepping for a trip like this took 16 months of asking[and importantly listening] to previous visitors and then watching as much footage is invaluable. I found it all challenging, which along with the banter from locals here who totally expected us to get wiped out, just ramped it up
My own honest observations [esp if you are not used to the heat]

turn up a day early if poss, the trip down is tiring,so don't expect to go out and fish efficently if you are tired day one.
Train, train and probably train again. I have a reasonably physical job, and I am glad I did some work, my young un has a proper  physical job, but the heat eventually beat him
Be realistic, lot more fish down there than just GTs, use them to give yourself a rest.

To put things in perspective, the week we were there, I think there were 7 gts caught in total  by 3 groups, Were we  fortunate? or just plain pigheaded stubborn and wouldn't give up? I had my first on the last cast of the  2nd day  but at 44k it was a fairly small one in SO, and will  be honest and be grateful it wasn't a fish of which SO is rightly famous
If you do buy a rod, Felix hit on it, I had 2 fish , first  on a powerful rod, 2nd one on a slightly more forgiving tool, the  2nd scrap was by far more fun. The first was like been beaten by a baseball bat.

place to go for a first timer? for us it was a special event and as such we knew it would be difficult to fish to the areas potential, but hey..... if you don't try?

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
December 16, 2015, 10:21:51 PM
SO for your first trip  :o 8) good luck man, you will love it if it's on and get belted or as Cam said get a little frustrated as a hot bite is not the norm, BUT a chance at a frikkin monster very real.  I am lining up for my 4th visit and love it there.  Gear wise - I have written a bit on the subject, it's not a completely unique place, there are other spots globally that produce Geets this size, BUT a big consideration are lures that can produce from water deeper than you might think.
ebbtidetackle.com