Ryan Hore

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Trip Planning
January 11, 2016, 09:21:10 PM
Hi Guys,

Extremely new to GT fishing but want to go on a designated trip next year, BUT my partner has to come.. so somewhere with things to do a haha.
Seeing as i am new and have little knowledge about this type of fishing wouldn't mind a daily charter with a guide. I am based in Australia and wouldn't be against fishing in Australia, would also be open to some overseas options..

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

Mark Richie

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Trip Planning
January 12, 2016, 08:27:22 AM
Hi Ryan,

Does your missus intend to fish? If not, probably the best option out there is Ocean Active in Vanuatu. Their Trees and Fishes resort is catered for your intended trip with a quality resort to pamper your partner while your out chasing GT's, doggies, wahoo's etc.

I haven't been but it's on the cards for next year for me for the exact reason as yourself. My partner isn't as keen for a fish as myself.

Alternatively, places like Airlie Beach where I live are great for this kind of thing too. There's a bunch of charter mobs around here that will take you out for a day trip/overnighter while your partner hangs out at a spa or something. There's some good high speed boats around that leave early in the morning, flat stick it out to the reef in 1.5/2 hours where you can spend a further 6-8 hours fishing and then come home. But then again, you don't need to head out to the reef to find big GT's around here. Just lob a popper at any point, bommie or reef edge around the islands and you're a decent chance of getting a follow.

Cheers,
Rich

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 12, 2016, 09:37:12 AM
Check out Fiji, plenty of options for both you and your partner for fishing and other activities.

Cheers,

Ian

Ryan Hore

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 12, 2016, 08:20:29 PM
Cheers Mark,

I doubt she will be fishing... but checked out the ocean blue web page and it looks perfect! only problem is it gets pricey when there is only one couple.

Any guide suggestions in Fiji Ian? Similar to the layout of the ocean blue charter, as in 4 days fishng or similar.

thanks.

Matt Jones

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 19, 2016, 09:10:00 AM
Hi Ryan,
I fished out of trees and fishes with ocean blue in April last year. They run a pretty good operation and you get the 5 star treatment from the moment you step off the plane. If you're looking to target GTs while over there, then this trip isn't for you. I went on a trip that was advertised as a GT and dogtooth fishing adventure, but in reality all you do is jig for doggies for most of the time. Don't get me wrong I love jigging for doggies ect., and they fight like no other fish, But they are very misleading with their advertising of their charters. We spent maybe 4 hours in total casting for GTs over the 5 days with the remaining time was spent slowly trolling for yellowfin around the FADs. Even the guides and deckies admitted that they don't see many GTs, don't get me wrong they get a few, most of them by catch, but where you fish with them is not well known for catching GTs.

If you're looking for a place to catch plenty of GTs and somewhere nice to take the family, I don't reckon you can go past Cairns or Port Douglas in Far North Queensland . You'll catch plenty of GTs upto 20kgs while fishing out at the GBR. It's lot harder to catch the larger models of 30kg and above, but you'll have plenty of fun in the smaller models.
I hope that helps.

Cheers, Matt

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 01, 2016, 09:33:57 PM
2 places to take a look at Exmouth WA and Aitutaki cook island awesome place your misses would love it take a trip out with Mike of Black Pearl Charters see his website you can fish for GT's and go snorkeling later in the day he's a great guy and Aitutaki is not far from oz plenty of accommodation to suit all tastes from cheap to down right expensive.