Tomislavjukic

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
No Boundaries Oman, April 2016
May 17, 2016, 05:50:00 PM
I met a guy named Philipp from Switzerland a few years ago, we were both on holidays in Croatia, fishing for Sea bass from a dock. Instant connection with now a very good friend of mine. I made my first trip to Oman chasing enormous GTs in 2014 and when he saw my photos of monsters I landed he bagged me to take him there one day. After a few fishing trips I had, I called him and asked you wanna do it?
Few months later, we met in Doha, waiting a plane to Salalah, all geared and ready to go.
Arrived to lodges in small village Shuwaymiyah in Southern Oman. Final fishing destination were Hallaniyat islands, one of the best fishing places on earth for chasing monster GTs.

First thing we did at arrival was unpacking all fishing gear, put it all together, make all knots, rig lures, double check all the knots, leaders, sharpen hooks.
Gear we used: Ripple Fisher Ultimo 710, Ripple Fisher gt78 flex, Ripple Fisher 82 long cast, Carpenter MH extreme, Hanta 82, Carpenter Black Current 79lr, Yamaga Blanks Blue Sniper 79/3, Ripple Fisher Aquila 722/2, Shimano Stella, Daiwa Saltiga Expedition 8000, Varivas braided lines, TUF line, Galis and Fisherman leader (60-200lb), Craft Bait gt3, MB custom lures, Hanta stick baits, Orion lures, Amegari, Carpenter gamma…

Samosa time and meeting other two groups that were fishing same dates. Amazing guys from Australia, Germany and France.

As Khareef was approaching, monsoon with strong winds, weather was perfect for fishing. Big waves, strong wind and strong currents.

First day, Phillip hooked and landed his first 35kg GT on MB custom lure Twitch 217-160 in white/pink color. Never ending happiness and instant addiction.

Second day was my day, I had monster attack on MB custom lure now famous Omani black twitch, but at the end I lost it right under the boat. I knew the GTs are there, quick leader change, and few casts later I was on, hard fight in big waves, at the end scale stopped at 50-52kg. Tag, picture, kiss and releasing the beast. Again, many missed attacks, and a lot of queenies attacking our poppers and sticks.

Third day, wind was still on, conditions were perfect, Phillip had attack of a monster on Hanta lures stick bait, smashing the lure and turn in the air, GT broke leader with its tail and fish was lost. We changed the spot, went fishing near rocks in 15m of water, I hooked up a GT, again on MB custom lures Twitch in Omani black color. I went at the back of the boat in position for towing the fish out in deep water, but we were unable to stop this fish. I had full drag on my SOM 18000 spool, and I put my hand on the spool to make it even tighter, but this fish took 150m of PE10 in about 10seconds. Than we heard the sound of broken drag, and my reel blocked. Fish stopped, and shake head, spitting lure out of his mouth. At that moment I was sad, but at the same time happy I got a chance to hook up a monster GT and felt the power of beast, that is one level higher of all 50’s I landed. That must have been a true monster, and in Oman they are called Ghosts. And after all, I got my lucky lure back.

This is lure, that I was given from skipper Mo one year ago, and on that trip I caught 45 and double 47 kg monsters with it. I had this lure hanging of my wall as a memory and I told I will never fish with it again. So before I left for Oman to make this trip, I took it down and put it back in the water. Again hooking three fish with it. Well, now its 110% retired.

In the evening, Philipp wanted to choose one stick bait for fishing next day, as he didn’t believe in any he had. So after consulting with Bertrand he finally chose one and very confidently said, this lure will catch a GT tomorrow.
Next morning, fourth day of fishing, wind stopped, flat water. Philipp made his first cast, lure went straight into the rocks, broke in half, and Philipp was devastated. Of course I couldn’t stop laughing.
We didn’t gave up, casting all day, did some light tackle, had missed attack of a GT.

Last three days we mixed fishing, GTs, jigging and light tackle. I got monster Dorado on PE3, carpenter black current 79lr. 15min fight, with many jumps. Amazing fight.
We got some AJs, we got busted by Blue Spangled Emperors, reefed eight times in one hour, but manage to land quite a few of them. This species is so fun to catch. Inshore fishing for Bream was slow, I lost one, but Queenies on bait balls were on.

I was popping, Hanta rod (amazing rod 8.2, very similar to ripple fisher long cast), and I suddenly felt very bad, stomach problems, so went in the water to take a s***t, and I told Mo: man I can’t do it any more, please take the rod and pop till I get better. Sure, four casts later Mo gets hooked up. Take the rod, take the rod he was shouting, but I wouldn’t take the rod for any money. If you hook you land is my theory (unless special conditions). So fish was landed by our legendary skipper, 43kg. When we released this beast, fish turned on belly, and without second thought I went in to help this fish to survive. Phillip went right after me (even he was talking to me, man you are crazy if you go in, so many sharks, and I just said, man you don’t understand). So, after all, GT survived, slowly swam away.

We ended our trip last day with celebrating Bertrand Picarda 50th birthday, went swimming in oasis and had a nice evening fire on the beach, fishing for stingrays, sharing fishing stories and having a great fun.

I would like to thank the Ed Nicholas for all organization, skippers Mo, Yassir and Chad, cook Saiful and Marmun, and special thanks to Boy.
Thank you also all that were fishing the same dates, Paul Coyne, Cameron Dempsey, Ruben Frank and big thanks to Bertrand Picarda, for all shared knowledge.

Thanks also to Tomaž Kucler, for all the help with my physical preparations, which is very important part of heavy popping game and fighting big GTs.

Thank you Barracuda fishing team for all support that I get from you for all my crazy fishing adventures.

Thank you Philipp Ziersch for a great time we had, and looking forward for our next trip to Oman. You are getting better and better, first GT trip, casting with all this heavy gear, not giving up is a way to go. I like you bro very much! See u soon

You either win, or you learn, you never loose.

Enjoy the photos, you can see all photos of this trip on my Facebook profile Tomislav Jukic
(if you want to use them, please contact me)

Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:55:57 PM by Tomislavjukic

Alex Gomez

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: No Boundaries Oman, April 2016
May 18, 2016, 12:08:44 AM
Sounds like a fantastic trip mate, great pics too.

Thanks for sharing.
Next time you must take the Monster Slayer!

AG

Courtland Babcock

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 18, 2016, 07:43:22 AM
Very Nice!!!

I just booked similar dates for next year.

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 18, 2016, 08:19:44 AM
Very nice pics indeed there....with some bruiser catches.....beautiful colours on that Mahi Mahi & Sweetlip.

Well done  :)

Bryan Dietz

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 18, 2016, 09:08:44 AM
Awesome read. Can't wait!!