Bent Inge Bentsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Where to go next?
October 10, 2016, 02:28:38 AM
I had a great trip to the Andaman Islands in January with Gamefishing Asia. This was my first popping-/jiggingtrip and I was very pleased with it. I'm going on a new trip in 2018. The goal is to fish for both GT and dogtooth tuna with jigging- and poppingequipment. Since I had a great time this year I also consider going back to the Andaman Islands. Hope you can give me advice about the destinations and feel free to suggest other places. Here are the destinations I have considered so far:

- Andaman Islands
- Maldives
- Laccadives
- Papua New Guinea
- Tanzania
- Madagascar
- Sudan
- Djibouti

Here is a video I made from the trip to the Andaman Islands.

Regards
Bent Inge
Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:30:16 PM by Bent Inge Bentsen

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Where to go next?
October 12, 2016, 03:15:25 PM
Hi Bent,

You could add various locations in Australia, Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia to your list of destinations, all offer plenty of popping and jigging options as well as some very big fish too!

Cheers,

Ian

Bent Inge Bentsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 13, 2016, 02:54:43 PM
Hi,
thanks for the reply. Those destinations looks great as well. Have you fished any of those?

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 14, 2016, 08:41:39 AM
Still a pipe dream at this stage  ;D, hopefully one day when the chance comes around I'll get to one of them.

Cheers,

Ian

Bent Inge Bentsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 15, 2016, 07:41:10 PM
I hope you get your dream trip one day  :)

Mark Gonsalves

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 19, 2016, 06:44:28 AM
Terrific Video.

Bent Inge Bentsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 19, 2016, 08:02:42 AM

Martin Gundersen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 19, 2016, 11:03:10 PM
Hi Bent
I'm also considering PNG, Madagascar or maybe Djibouti for 2018.
For me, these are the places that looks most exciting.

I'm of to Sudan tomorrow  :)
Tight lines
Martin

Bent Inge Bentsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 20, 2016, 01:59:13 AM
Hi,
there are certainly a lot of interesting places. An advantage with travelling to Africa is shorter flights and less time difference compared to PNG or Australia. Hope you get a great trip to Sudan  :)
Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 02:04:12 AM by Bent Inge Bentsen

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 20, 2016, 05:47:21 PM
Where are you based Bent?

For those of us in Australia we are fortunate to have relatively short travel times to some excellent locations including the North East and North West coasts of Australia and the many islands of the South Pacific.

If it was me personally I would chip away at all the close locations first and if you don't find what you're looking for close to home then put in the travel time to hit those destinations a little further afield.

Too many amazing locations to really narrow down to just a few but for me the outer barrier reef of Northern Queensland is pretty hard to pass up. With more operators starting to head out on live aboard trips and promoting and practicing catch and release fishing more people will be able to experience what is an amazing part of the world.

Cheers and happy hunting.

Bent Inge Bentsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 20, 2016, 06:01:19 PM
I live in Norway in Europe. So it's a bit long flight to Australia, but if the fishing is great it's definitely worth it. Thanks for the advice. Have you fished Papua New Guinea or New Caledonia?

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 23, 2016, 01:38:12 PM
Hi Bent,

Haven't visited New Cal but have flown over it numerous times on route to Fiji and Vanuatu. Looks amazing and so close to home. I love both Fiji and Vanuatu and with so many islands to explore I think I will keep going back whenever I get a chance. There's some serious GT's that smashed me up last time I was in Fiji and the big Dogtooth tuna of Vanuatu will get me back for sure.

PNG is very high on my to do list but I intend on making a proper run at it for 4 weeks+ as it is an amazing place with lots of history and a lot of spots to throw a lure. Including some amazing freshwater and estuary fishing for barra, black bass etc.

Enjoy your travels and happy hunting.

Cheers.

Bent Inge Bentsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 24, 2016, 04:25:18 AM
Thanks for the info, all those destinations looks great  :)

Bent Inge Bentsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 27, 2016, 05:09:03 AM
I have booked a trip to Madagascar with Emeraude Fishing in January 2018. I'm  really looking forward to that :)

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 28, 2016, 10:15:14 AM
Phillip is a great operator and one hell of an angler.

Make sure to take plenty of Jigs big Napoleon/Grouper/GT and obviously Doggies.

Top Water I have seen captured some of the Biggest GT south of Oman skinny water but Monsters Lurk there.

January is one of the best months in Madi make sure to take some Aerogaurd or Insect repellent.

Enjoy.