Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A couple of days in Cairns.......
September 30, 2008, 08:52:58 PM
I spent a couple of days in Cairns on the few days just past out with Kerry Bailey, the operator of Blackout Sportsfishing. I was with Steven Ng and Tak Otsuka. Unfortunately, we really only had one day of decent conditions so we could get outside. Whhen we got out there, there wasn't much current which is an essential for GTs. We still had a lot of fun with a mix bag of fish including a variety of trevallys so it made for a fun day. There certainly are GTs out there - we raised a few of them especially where the fusiliers could be found but the fish were not that turned on as a result of the lack of current.

Kerry is a great operator. He runs the business himself and know the area around and outside Cairns backwards. He offers reasonable rates and always gives you a really honest day. If you want to book with Kerry, book well ahead - he is booked well in advance. www.blackoutsportsfishing.com/

If it swims; I want to catch it!

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: A couple of days in Cairns.......
September 30, 2008, 10:18:25 PM
Hey Brandon,

Great series of photos, jeez it's nice to see some nice turquoise blue water..  The cold green soupy stuff off Sydney at the moment is all a bit grim.  Looks like you guys made the most of it..

Cheers Dave

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 01, 2008, 08:24:02 AM
Brandon,

when do you find time time to work?

when is your next trip? Jewel?

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
October 01, 2008, 06:22:14 PM
Brock... I sincerely think Brandon would forego sleep for weeks on end for a chance of going fishing  ;)

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 01, 2008, 08:15:31 PM
Good to see someone getting out in Cairns at least.  The wind only seems to drop when I have to work lately.

Did you catch any around Fitzroy Island Brandon?  I've never done much good there, though I know they are around.

I'm surprised you couldn't find any current or fish.  Being just before the new moon I would have expected the right spots to be going off

cheers,

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 01, 2008, 08:47:53 PM
Hi Steven, that's what we thought. I took your advice after last year and planned it for the new moon but amazingly, there was no run at all. I couldn't believe it.

We were out at the reef a little further out than Fitzroy. Apparently, a few days before that, there were some absolute monsters hanging around little Fitzroy Island.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 02, 2008, 02:12:41 PM
Bummer mate,

Another "should have been here last week story".  Oh well, such is life.

cheers,

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 03, 2008, 11:17:17 PM
look like this place is a great start to warm up  ;D

see how i go when i head up north in nov.