Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
gimbal butts on spin rods
October 10, 2008, 10:39:35 PM
I need to shorten the butt on one of my jig rods (spin). It is fitted with a gimbal connection and I was thinking of doing away with it and putting on a standard end.  What are your opinions on running spin jig rods without gimbal connections?  And if I do go for a standard end, I'm sure they're not all created equal - what are the best fittings to get?

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: gimbal butts on spin rods
October 11, 2008, 01:12:37 AM
Wont make too much of a difference with spin rods. I prefer gimbals on the heavy gear as they stay in your gimbal belt when you do have to lower the rod to horizontal under heavy drag.

What rod is it?

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 11, 2008, 04:58:47 PM
They also help when placed in rod holders [Targas] for traveling, stops them swinging around.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 13, 2008, 04:01:14 PM
A GF760L and a GF600M Calstar. The Butts are about an inch and a half too long for my arm length on both. Good point about going past horizontal on the heavier rod (which will happen at some stage I'm sure) - can that actually happen that the butt cap flick out and hit you - might re gimbal the GF760L then!   

Rohit Saqa Lal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 14, 2008, 01:13:43 AM
Sam
If the two rods have a funky foregrip then I am intimately familiar with them. If you are in Sydney then please give me a call on 0422 315 058 and I can help you with a few options and mock-ups with and without gimbals and the dearest ;D butt caps available

I am not a sponsor on here so I out of respect for the site owner am hesitant to say more but only mentioning what I have as I think I may know those 2 pieces very very well