Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cheap functional popper storage.
November 18, 2008, 08:43:56 AM
Bun - don't tell him that!!   >:(
I've got something like 8 spools that will need to be spooled just waiting for him!  ;D

Yeah Brock, with the 'Likley Lads' Brandon and Rob, April 5-11 .

Rob, are you coming over from the West early again? to respool for Brandon?

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Rob Ciotucha

November 18, 2008, 06:30:03 PM
Yeh i will probaly shoot over a few days early, Dam Brandon your lucky i helped you last time i just about died haha. 

This time Brandon we shall wait and see ;)

Cheers
Rob

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 18, 2008, 07:59:26 PM
I'll be kind to you this time, promise   :D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Rob Ciotucha

November 19, 2008, 07:25:01 PM
You better Brandon or you will be doing the winding this time  ;D ;D ;D

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2009, 09:21:20 AM
Ah time to revive the thread ;)

I was looking for better storage for all my lures and I came across this.
My requirements for storage were, A soft bag as hard cases tend to slide around on the floor of the boat and hurt when kicked with bare feet :o, something easily washable- waterproof storage doesnt work out that well for me as it always ends up wet anyway!! And the other thing I wanted was to be able to see the lures without taking them out.
The only thing i think could be improved on this design is for the pockets to be for individual lures, similar to jig storage bags.
They can easily be hung up to be hosed down and dry out.
Check it out.

Oh I have 30 lures packed into it as well ;)
Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:23:35 AM by Warwick

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2009, 10:05:23 AM
So Warwick (and anyone else), excuse my ignorance here, but it appears you store the lures without hooks. Does this mean you add hooks, rings etc every time you want to change lures during a session?

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2009, 10:28:09 AM
So Warwick (and anyone else), excuse my ignorance here, but it appears you store the lures without hooks. Does this mean you add hooks, rings etc every time you want to change lures during a session?

It's fairly pricey to have hooks for all lures - an Owner Sj hook costs $4 a pop (you need three for a full set), I used to use owner taff jig spin ball bearing swivels off the rear ($5 a pop) and the 3 owner split rings (maybe $1.50 each)...that's $20 worth of jewellery per lure.  I will often only use two sets of hooks during a trip out - changing them between the different lures as I want to use them.  One on a popper and one on a stickbait or other lure. It's not ideal and takes a fair bit of time but it's really not a problem. 

That said i've just splashed out a bit and bought maybe a dozen full sets of singles for a trip coming up soon, the reason for that being I don't want to be phaffing about on this trip - happy to do it on my own trips out though.  So yeah - usually only have a few full sets of hooks, easy to maintain and keep in good nick, lures don't tangle when being stored and saves a few dollars.

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2009, 10:42:44 AM
thanks Travis, that makes sense. I suppose it comes down to how valuable your time on the water is. That approach might force one to persist longer with a certain lure too? ;)

Certainly fit more lures into a tackle box too, which is a good thing.

Cheers mate

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2009, 10:51:12 AM
Angus, I threw the kit together last night and no lures were rigged at the time. my plan is to have 1 or 2 lures in each section rigged with hooks. As you might see the sections are sorted to lure style.
I am sure there will be no problem, though I use all singles, trebles will no doubt make it harder.
Oh not sure if i mentioned it but the roll is made by 7 Seas.

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2009, 10:58:45 AM
Yeah righto Warwick, thanks for that.....so not only will trebles make it harder to store your lures in that roll, they also rub and damage the finish of the lures (I have found this anyway), as well as supposedly being worse for the fish too. Makes one wonder why trebles are used at all?!  :D

Cheers

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2009, 11:03:27 AM
...That approach might force one to persist longer with a certain lure too? ;)...

Nope - you just get REALLY good at changing out hooks  :D ;) ;)

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 02, 2009, 07:17:28 PM

It's fairly pricey to have hooks for all lures - an Owner Sj hook costs $4 a pop (you need three for a full set), I used to use owner taff jig spin ball bearing swivels off the rear ($5 a pop) and the 3 owner split rings (maybe $1.50 each)...that's $20 worth of jewellery per lure.  I will often only use two sets of hooks during a trip out - changing them between the different lures as I want to use them.  One on a popper and one on a stickbait or other lure. It's not ideal and takes a fair bit of time but it's really not a problem. 

Yep this method is waaay more efficient than having all you're poppers rigged with hooks. Much easier for storage, cheaper and in the whole scheme of things you don't really waste much time. Usually when you change lures theres not much happening anyway so it's no big rush.