Colin P

Working Wahoo & Ulua Stickbaits
November 30, 2008, 09:24:53 PM
Does anybody out there work these lures differently?

I've caught some good fish on Wahoos by imparting a rolling action working them to the surface then pausing (have had a lot of strikes and hookups on the pause) but I've not had the same success with Uluas. This could be nothing more than coincidence but I'd be interested if anyone uses a different approach to Uluas.

Cheers

Colin

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Working Wahoo & Ulua Stickbaits
November 30, 2008, 10:07:37 PM
Does anybody out there work these lures differently?

I've caught some good fish on Wahoos by imparting a rolling action working them to the surface then pausing (have had a lot of strikes and hookups on the pause) but I've not had the same success with Uluas. This could be nothing more than coincidence but I'd be interested if anyone uses a different approach to Uluas.

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin ,

Ulua is more a twitch bait thus getting maximum time for the lure in the water between casts . Used best with sensitive tipped rod .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Colin P

November 30, 2008, 10:53:57 PM

Hi Colin ,

Ulua is more a twitch bait thus getting maximum time for the lure in the water between casts . Used best with sensitive tipped rod .

Jon .

Thanks Jon - interesting - I work Wahoos pretty slowly anyway but I use more of a short sweeping motion than a twitch and this does produce a nice roll and flash. Guess this a question of fine tuning of the retrieve. Think I'll play around a bit and see what happens.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 30, 2008, 11:24:55 PM

Hi Colin ,

Jon .

Thanks Jon - interesting - I work Wahoos pretty slowly anyway but I use more of a short sweeping motion than a twitch and this does produce a nice roll and flash. Guess this a question of fine tuning of the retrieve. Think I'll play around a bit and see what happens.

Hi Colin ,

Ulua when twitched will produce zigzaging movement while Wahoo will produce more darting movement , that is the main difference of the 2 stickbaits .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 30, 2008, 11:40:57 PM
I have used the Ulua to great effect with short twitches, keeps it working under water better once you get a rhythmn going with alternating twitching and reel cranks , it is quite good alternative to conserve a bit of energy between chugging sessions.
Set the ray to GeeT

Colin P

December 01, 2008, 06:44:36 PM
it is quite good alternative to conserve a bit of energy between chugging sessions.

Amen to that when it's 44 degrees around The Musandam!! ;)