Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Jigging Master 16000 Monster spool - review
February 18, 2012, 05:49:12 PM
I still regard this knob as the best on the market. I like it much more than the knob on my MC Works handle. After seeing the picture you posted, I should check out if I can fit it on!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
February 19, 2012, 07:03:06 PM
Hi Brandon, hi Lee,

The FISHERMAN knob does indeed match up perfectly to the JM Handle Arm ( thats my reel in the pic ), and is an awesome match..... feels super solid all the way through now...

Lee sorry for the tardy reply to your PM, but just replied now, hope you're well my friend.

Dre
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 19, 2012, 09:38:33 PM
Dre, where do you pick up the JM handle, looks nice, I presume if the fisherman knob fits it other aftermarket knobs will also.

Any chance of getting center to center handle length on the JM?

Thanks

Hi Brandon, hi Lee,

The FISHERMAN knob does indeed match up perfectly to the JM Handle Arm ( thats my reel in the pic ), and is an awesome match..... feels super solid all the way through now...

Lee sorry for the tardy reply to your PM, but just replied now, hope you're well my friend.

Dre
Set the ray to GeeT

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
February 20, 2012, 06:55:57 PM
Hey Andy,

We ( JigStar AFrica) are agents for JM here in Africa, so got it in that way... we bought a bunch of the spools and hadnle arms in and they have been incredibly well recieved here....

I'll try measure up the centre to centre for you and let you know tomorrow.

Cheers
Dre
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Robert Balkow

Hi @ all,

got my JM 16000 today and opened the drag to check if it's already greased or not but i was bone dry!
Brandon did you use your spool out of the box or did you put on some extra drag grease?
Thanks!

Greetings from Germany
Robert

Vinh Nguyen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I just checked my JM25000 spool and it was bone dry too.  I think it would be good practice on any aftermarket spool to check the drag washers before use.  My SOM16000 spool was also dry when I purchased it a while back.  My buddy just purchased a SOM20000 spool used, when he checked the drag washers they were pretty much dust along with corrosion in the inside of the spool which is consistent with the previous owner not checking/greasing the washers before use.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Rob

My spool had a dry drag out of the box and it was tested that way. If the manufacturers release them that way, I will test them accordingly. SOMs come that way too.

I would point out that I have since added a very, very thin film of Cal's grease.

On thing to watch out for with the SOM is that once a bit of water gets into the drag, it's dead! It won't even pull 8kg once it is wet. I expect that the JM would be similarly afflicted, as would most if not all spools.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Brandon, your comments about the water got me thinking.

You might remember that a while ago there were a couple of reports here on the SOM drag seeming to not engage properly. A bit after that the same thing happened to me. At full lock I reckon the spool was putting out about 5 kgs of drag.  Then mysteriously, it fixed itself!

I am now thinking that was simply because the drag stack got wet and then dried itself out.  Sounds plausible?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
That could well be a reason for it, Mark