Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Moon phases
May 25, 2009, 08:35:20 AM
...GT tend to be more timid and cautious during conditions of no wind, whereas moderate wind conditions seem more conducive for feeding, particularly for larger GT. It's obvious to see that the more turbulent conditions make the GT less spooky and provide for an ideal scenario to hunt prey.

I only disagree in that if you take the rough conditions thing too far then in big/heavy seas the poppers just dont have enough presence to get the fishes interest I think.  To that end though I think some moderate wave action is definitely beneficial and won't kill the lures attraction/action, add in low light/cloudy conditions as well though and I think that provides the extra cover that will bring the bigger fish to the surface to hunt. 

Weather pattern consistancy is also a very big key in my books for success. Highly variable weather patterns and conditions during a trip, jumping from one extreme to another can be quite common in the tropics - unfortunately, it seems to me to be very counterproductive. Better to have consistant weather in general - whatever that weather may be.

That's an interesting one Luke.  I keep records of the 5 days previous Air Pressure but not general weather conditions.  Definitely food for thought.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 25, 2009, 09:04:54 AM
This raises another question I've had for some time and I probably should start another thread on it.

What exactly can GTs see from below during rough conditions on the surface? The reason I ask this question is I used to fish with a friend who loves using pencils (well, he couldn't fish chuggers that well either) and he used them in any conditions, including really rough water such as casting them into washes and into three metre seas.

The thing is, he used to still catch fish! It used to amaze me when he'd cast the pencil into foaming white water and hook up.  Obviously, the fish can still see the lure?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 25, 2009, 11:22:59 AM
...GT tend to be more timid and cautious during conditions of no wind, whereas moderate wind conditions seem more conducive for feeding, particularly for larger GT. It's obvious to see that the more turbulent conditions make the GT less spooky and provide for an ideal scenario to hunt prey.

I only disagree in that if you take the rough conditions thing too far then in big/heavy seas the poppers just dont have enough presence to get the fishes interest I think.  To that end though I think some moderate wave action is definitely beneficial and won't kill the lures attraction/action, add in low light/cloudy conditions as well though and I think that provides the extra cover that will bring the bigger fish to the surface to hunt. 

Hi Travis,

The only thing I take into account is the safety issues present when fishing such conditions, other than that I say let her ride baby!

I've had some of my most productive big fish sessions in such conditions. I am sure there would be loss of visibility as discussed but this is what the GT thrives on - I guess it's debatable as to whether this is harder work for the GT but my results conclude that they are very active during these conditions, and what a better time to hunt? Yes it is harder and more taxing to get the popper working in these conditions, but definitely possible - all about technique and timing. If anything, this added movement of water and current will help to keep the popper looking natural rather than causing a spook in terms of the angler waiting or taxing on a wave crest to pass before working the lure.

GTs spend plenty of time in the washes holding in schools or feeding so they must be using that environment to their advantage. The popper and action itself must be giving a different sound and vibration signature to that of the waves that the fish also home in on - nothing new....salmon, tailor, kingfish will easily sniper a stickbait or popper that can barely be seen by the naked eye in the wash of southern bommies and ledges. It's uncanny I acknowledge but they definitely are aware of an intruder or potential prey when millpond conditions will rarely initiate a strike.

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 25, 2009, 12:14:24 PM
Travis,
I'm with you, big tides to help the fishing, small waves to help the fisherman.

Our area is pretty different to most being deep rocky stuff rather than coral reef. A calm day against the big headlands still has plenty of surface movement, a rough day and I'm not leaving port!  I also wonder if our local lack of water clarity overcomes shyness on calm days. Most of the GT's are in water with say 3 to 5m visibility, no more.

Aaron Concord

May 25, 2009, 08:28:48 PM
I have seen bigger tides (full or new) preform the best.

During these times, on the East Coast of OZ, a big tide + a pressure build up from the SE has generally produced outstanding results.

The chop associated with a SE'erly of up to a fishable 20kn in open waters causes enough messy chop to make big GEE's hunt without fear.
Most good GT spots are rough from wind against current, that I like to fish.

Fishing the coming change combined with big tides is about as good as it gets.

I have seen in areas of the Coral Sea where even big tides + wind have no positive effect due to high (29 degree +) water. It pushes the bait and therefore the GT's into deeper water and generally, out of popper & stick bait range.
Glass-outs are worse in the middle of a tropical Aussie Summer from what I have seen.....only a good dose of wind aerating (and cooling) SE'ers helps..

Yep......its more than just water movement that needs looking at.....

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 26, 2009, 10:46:58 AM
Once again there are no hard and fast rules, when I fished Otter reef NQ its was about as glassed out as it can get and hot!! Fusiler schools could be seen from hundreds of meters away and the GT action was great! Visibility was also great, could see the sandy bottom in 10m of water.
Have to admit tho it was just after a weather change and also around a full moon. Cant remember what size the tides were but there wasnt much water movement.

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 26, 2009, 11:17:03 AM
I think I can summarise this thread,

There are things we know we know...
There are thing we know we don't know...
and there are things we don't know that we don't know!!!

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 26, 2009, 12:05:44 PM

:D
How true.
It comes down to the sea conditions for me, if its calm enough to get out and back safe Ill go fishing no matter what the other variables are ;)

Max Grimbacher

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 07, 2009, 10:04:46 PM

Thanks Donald Rumsfeld! ;D