Gavin Swab

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: classifieds section
March 25, 2011, 08:50:22 PM
I find it funny that I  "have"  sold something recently on this website ( and the buyer will be happy to know that I posted it today)  and was looking to purchase something, but now I can't,  as I'm not eligible.  Anyway each to their own, I'm just thinking bad thoughts, as my one word posts were deleted ! So now once again I cant see the classifieds.  Booooo !    I guess I will watch and see if the gods delete this one. But hopefully this is post no:12  ?

Rhet Tainton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 09:41:08 PM
To add comment to this thread might see it deleted as well, due to it not reaching a certain amount of substance to this forum,............who knows? But I guess only I will know when/if it gets deleted.

However, my comment lies here-in that I also have a minimal number of posts, but I have spent a considerable amount of AUD on items posted for sale on this forum. If someone has gotten away with fraudulent activity, then that is terrible for the intended buyer.............why do we all need to suffer the consequences? I am pretty sure (because I read them before I partook in my sales) that the rules for the forum mention something along the lines of 'buyer beware'. I only yesterday was looking for the post that someone was selling some Jobu hooks that they had in excess. But because I couldn't see it...............not being aware of the rule change..................because I don't believe that it was posted publicly (although it could just have been because I didn't have enough mindless comments racked up to allow me access to that folder either) so I went out and bought them retail at a ridiculous price. Therefore I spent more than necessary and wasn't able to help out a forum member who was selling the same item a few days ago...................but I wasn't able to see his post.

Pretty annoyed about it all really. I don't get to fish for GT's a lot, so it takes a considerable amount of time to earn the "reputable" 20 posts. Just because I don't believe its worthwhile to contribute to the forum by saying the likes of 'nice one mate' or 'wow' or 'gee.....I wish i had enough posts to be able to get into that exclusive part of the forum that is supposed to be of benefit to all members'.

Sorry for my cynicism...................slash...honesty.

Rhet

gus cisneros

March 25, 2011, 11:16:59 PM
hello !
thanks for the info guys! i have read the classifieds rules before putting an add for a reel to sell, had no problem with that ! also i did't see any rules about 20 post etc..
now i find out i can't even see the add i put on!
i understand that there is some fraudulent people arround! but that won't stop them to post very short things as people mentioned before! great catch..wel done blah blah..
i have been a reader from this forum for long! i get very usefull info from here and looking forward to contributing more.
thanks all.
gus.

Luke Seyrek

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 11:53:20 PM
I must agree with what Rhet is saying. There are many people that refer to this site to learn and seek advice and many people who cannot afford to buy things brand new hence look to buy used items.
I think somebody with bad intentions will still go to the effort of contributing to posts to get there post rate up so they access that section.
Is there another solution i.e ban certain IP addresses of individuals who attempt fraudulent activity or setup some sort of system where buyers and sellers must exchange personal details prior to any sale example user names matching bank details or maybe even a phone call.
Anyway that's my two cents worth!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 26, 2011, 12:39:36 AM
I don't think the focus should be only on the fraud incident.  As Brandon explained quite clearly this initiative is designed to discourage those who drive-by for the purpose of selling items only and do not take part in the main activities of the forum - i.e. an inter-change of experiences, ideas, questions, whatever......, with other like-minded anglers.  This is after all, a community forum and not an online shop.

Rhet Tainton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 26, 2011, 07:05:11 AM
Hi Mark

It's a bit hard not to focus on the fraud incident as the catalyst to this, when Brandon states "One of the primary drivers for this was a fraud that happened a little while ago."

I completely agree with you, that forums are an incredible online 'meeting place' to exchange a wealth of information, ideas, ask questions and just generally chat about the subject.
My problem is that I have NO experience (I have to wait another 13 days for my first expedition), I only have the ideas of others to glean information from, I have asked questions, but it takes quite some time to rack up questions that have enough punch to warrant wasting the time of others to respond.

What about the message system? Do those posts count? (obviously not or would have the required 20) as quite a few times I will message someone for more info, or questions about things as I don't see the point to needlessly fill a thread. I make these points as I am sure I am not the only person in this situation.

And the other disappointing thing is that now I don't get to see what people are getting rid of, we are all tackle junkies right?...........And will buy things that we like when they are advertised.............even if we don't really need them? That might just be me :) Well I feel for the blokes trying to sell things now as they have just lost a massive chunk of the market. Sales through this forum will now fall.

At this rate, I will only need to respond to this thread another 10 times and I will have made it! But that probably won't happen as there won't be any benefit to the rest of the forum, I will follow my own advice from here on 'if you have nothing of use to say, don't say it'

Cheers, Rhet

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 26, 2011, 08:04:45 AM
The problem with having knowledgeable members willing to post in depth replys is it tends to kill off threads and discourage new members from posting or asking questions.  This is only exacerbated when so often new member questions are answered with "do a search".  I can understand why there would be a large number of "lurkers" on here. 

That said twenty posts is not many and on other forums I go to ive seen it up to 50.  The only other measure that is made available though is that trading access can be applied for before getting to set number of posts.   

Dave Hudson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 26, 2011, 08:19:19 AM
Hi Guys

I fall into the same category as a few of the previous members, I am obsessed with GT Popping but I have very little experience and hence not a lot
I can add to the always very high standard of conversation on this site.

I'm at a stage in my life when the purchase of this equipment and travel to the destinations I dream of is not an option, but in the coming years this will change
and I hope I will be able to contribute to this great information resource.

Would it be possible to control the viewing of the classified section using the 'hours spent on the site" which is shown in the profile dropdown menu, for members
like myself who have only made one post but have clocked up over 24hours reading posts.

I understand tough decisions have to be made to keep this site as good as it is and I look forward to making more of a contribution in the future.

Cheers

Dave

Jeff Larsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 26, 2011, 08:23:45 AM
Thanks for clarifying Brandon.  Understand you guys had to do something.  I'm also a GT newbie who is here to learn.  Your policy is fair and I'm happy to accept it.  Been getting out to the reef here in Fiji where I live a lot more lately so my body of knowledge is thankfully increasing.

Bill Maguire

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 26, 2011, 08:33:06 AM
If you don't like it, tough. Smacks of  Big brother attitude to me.

I don't understand why the "rule" doesn't apply to only posting 4 sale ads if you have less than 20 posts, to restrict viewing as well is crazy.

Why? Because we can, that's why!!!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 26, 2011, 03:32:53 PM
The rule will remain in place as is.

We do hear you.

Brandon and myself will discuss soon and determine when there may be a reconsideration on the matter, if we deem appropriate.

You sound a bit extreme Bill - big brother? If you are really that deeply offended then I'm not away of anyone forcing you to stay.

Luke

John Adams Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 26, 2011, 05:20:08 PM

Thanks for the information regarding the classifieds section going missing.  I spend most of my time on other forums but have picked up useful information on this forum.  I understand the intention of the twenty posts rule regarding the classifieds section however I think it could have been implemented better.  If this thread wasn't started then how would one know about the twenty posts rule.  Perhaps notification by either Brandon or Luke via mass email would have been helpful to clear up all of these comments and questions.

William Espina

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 26, 2011, 07:35:16 PM
hi,
i have been lurking on this forum for a long time now and have learned a lot.
i was wondering what happened to the classified section since i learned a lot from it too, just too bad that i was and am not yet in the 20 posts requirement.
will have to work on my posting some more, beggining with this ;).

fish on!