Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pencil/skipping poppers
February 12, 2008, 02:49:41 AM
For what its worth, those plugs that Mark posted, the flat white square sided ones are also DYNAMITE on the Seychelles GT's... they call them GT Ice Cream Cones.... The Fly Fishing guides use them as hookless teasers for the Fly guys.... Amazing how a simple and cheap lure like that can call in a whole shoal of 20 kilo plus GT's into 2ft of water....

Cheap, tough, and they work.....

They work on Tuna too....

72 kilo YFT taken by Grant SPooner just a few miles offshore at Bellows Rock in October 2006.... on a Wayne Stanly Plug like the ones in Mark's pic...

Mark I believe you know Grant  from Marine Scene....He reckons his boat's gonna be done before yours!!! ;D ;D ;D Have you seen his new boat? 28ft Butt Cat, which he reckons is gonna be the ultimate site casting tuna boat.... I haven't seen her but looking forward to it...
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 12, 2008, 05:09:40 AM
Remind me to crap on grant for not tagging that fish.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 12, 2008, 06:30:36 PM
Remind me to crap on grant for not tagging that fish.

;D ;D - I know he probably regrets it now...... Bus fish though..... I want one... I'll be more than happy to tag too....  ;)

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 12, 2008, 07:38:50 PM
Geez, if only next trip off the rocks a 'fin like that hits my lure I would be oh so happy to say the least.....

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 13, 2008, 06:31:24 AM
Andre
 23 fish that size and bigger on last trip lost a monster on my last orion bigfoot so size no problem when we go     

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 13, 2008, 07:04:36 AM
Hi Andrew
what species are you targeting on those poppers?
mark   

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 13, 2008, 07:23:40 AM
Andrew, I have a stickbait from Adhek that I describe as a skittering popper. I have found it very effective on GTs when worked fast on the surface.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 13, 2008, 01:51:48 PM
Being Sydney based I target yellowtail kings - and anything other pelgaic. But bonito are scare these days, and salmon, well,Im over them so kings are what I try for on poppers. If I get a chance this year will head north for longtail tunas, but havent been able to get off work to do so usually, and now looking at changing jobs so might miss out again.

Brandon, will be keen to have a look at that popper some time and see if I can track more down later. Found this link actually - http://www.adhek.net/asfeng/popper_catalogue.pdf

Which one is the one you are referring to?

This weather sux here this summer and Ive done hardly any trips to test out any of the new lures I bought.
Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 01:54:29 PM by Andrew Poulos

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 13, 2008, 05:47:16 PM
Andre
 23 fish that size and bigger on last trip lost a monster on my last orion bigfoot so size no problem when we go     

Ahhhh man, that is MUSIC to my ears...... the Carpenter is gonna get a workout finally!!!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 13, 2008, 06:03:31 PM

it is the long goby

Being Sydney based I target yellowtail kings - and anything other pelgaic. But bonito are scare these days, and salmon, well,Im over them so kings are what I try for on poppers. If I get a chance this year will head north for longtail tunas, but havent been able to get off work to do so usually, and now looking at changing jobs so might miss out again.

Brandon, will be keen to have a look at that popper some time and see if I can track more down later. Found this link actually - http://www.adhek.net/asfeng/popper_catalogue.pdf

Which one is the one you are referring to?

This weather sux here this summer and Ive done hardly any trips to test out any of the new lures I bought.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 14, 2008, 11:30:21 PM
Hi Adrew
if you get a chance try a big treble -2 sizes up, on your poppers it creates more bubbles on your poly plug we catch all our tail that way .a square bottom also rides better in the water the rounded type not popular in south africa
cheers mark