Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
We ventured to the notorious Break Sea Spit Bommie on the weekend, only managing to get one good session on the reef due to strong NE winds.

3000km round trip was well worth my first shot at the Bommie - will be better prepared next time which hopefully will be next month.

What can I say about this place? I had no idea what to expect...the Sandy Cape itself is such an awesome place and I was wondering how it could get much better. The bar crossing was rather pleasant, take it slow and keep focused - ignore the sharks surfing a wave higher than your boat 20 metres parallel! I was watching the GPS waiting until we got to the bommie - little did I know that a mere kilometre away that the bommie would light up with azure water and patches of coral gutters and bommies comparable to any tropical reef, atoll or lagoon I have been to. Someone please pick me jaw up from the ground?!?!?!?!

A big swell raised the boat to give an awesome view of a section of reef that was about to get smashed by a good wave. A 50m squared area of tuna suddenly chromes - flashing their bellies as an array of sea birds dive upon the hordes of baitfish trying to find safety somewhere on the famous reef. The swell was pounding the fringe of the reef, so much so that it made working bloopers difficult - but not impossible. A mighty cast later and CRRAAAAAAAAAAAAACKKK, a massive 40kg class fish belly-slaps a big swell as the Hammerhead ICUP submerses through it's face - my heart pumping - he missed and didn't come back for seconds. What an introduction to one of the famous Big GT reefs in the world - I was chuffed and honestly could've gone home then content with not catching a thing. Oh well - time to keep casting!

The next half an hour went quiet - so we ventured onto the bommie itself. You need a good skipper as we were surfing swell and the occasional breaker just like Kelly Slater - keep alert and make sure you are wearing a life jacket (note for next time!). The new moon obviously brought a lot of current and it was going to prove a perfect environment to really turn the fish on. No run, No fun! Naturally, fishing such an environment meant stability and footing was a big issue. And as luck would have it, the GTs started to strike only metres from the boat. A 30 kegger made a meal of my popper as my eyes were distracted elsewhere at the end of the retrieve - already on the backfoot I didn't like my chances of landing this fish in 25 feet of water. Luck was on my side, along with some handy boat work - our first decent GT of the Spit graced us with her presence on board "MV Moisty".

Some of the boys wanted to try their hand at popping but found it rather difficult to wind south-paw! It was rather hilarious to watch Jason hook up to a solid king and not be able to wind the thing in. Next thing we know, the king is screaming across reef, with Jason fighting the fish from the otherside of the cat (line under the hull). As luck would have it, we didn't get reefed and we eventually got the fish in. Another victim to the Watermelon ICUP.

Out of no where, a jet black GT fiercely tail slapped my popper creating one of the biggest holes in the water I have ever seen. You need to keep your composure in this situation in order to keep the lure working properly to induce further strike. She not only hit it again throwing the lure clear of the water but then hit it for a final time during the same retrieve mere metres from the boat. She spat the hooks after a 10 second dive. Definitely a fish that would've given the record a nudge - definitely well over 60kg. We will never know how big she was. We had just drifted into an area where the GTs were patrolling the gutter's edge. The next two casts got nailed but our monster was no where to be seen. I will be waiting for her next time.

Other highlights included reefings by big AJ's, a massive 45kg Cobia taken on the jigging grounds (bait) and plenty of other fish willing to smash a surface lure.
Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:08:39 AM by Amr Kehila

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:07:55 AM by Amr Kehila

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I was watching the GPS waiting until we got to the bommie - little did I know that a mere kilometre away that the bommie would light up with azure water and patches of coral gutters and bommies comparable to any tropical reef, atoll or lagoon I have been to. Someone please pick me jaw up from the ground?!?!?!?!

Awesome report Luke, looks like a fun trip. Bad luck you didn't hook your 60 kegger, always next time eh. Any pics that illustrate the bommie in question?

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Nice one Luke, been looking forward reading this report.  Conditions looked pretty good - photos are always deceptive though.  Shame about the biggun - a GT that size and jet black would be very impressive!

The hooks on that I-Cup...just making sure the potential record didn't get away I see! ;) :D

Looking forward to trying the area out myself.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
The hooks on that I-Cup...just making sure the potential record didn't get away I see! ;) :D

10/0's never lie  ;)

Everyone knows this place is a Mecca - the dangerous nature of the area luckily keeps most people away. If you have good sea skills as well as a sea-worthy boat - you are in with a shot. From HB it took us around 2.5 hours to get there running twin 20 4 strokes.
Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:26:06 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
I was watching the GPS waiting until we got to the bommie - little did I know that a mere kilometre away that the bommie would light up with azure water and patches of coral gutters and bommies comparable to any tropical reef, atoll or lagoon I have been to. Someone please pick me jaw up from the ground?!?!?!?!

Awesome report Luke, looks like a fun trip. Bad luck you didn't hook your 60 kegger, always next time eh. Any pics that illustrate the bommie in question?

Thanks mate! I promised myself that i need to get a photo but I simply couldn't spare a moment without a popper in the water! Hopefully I will get a good pic (with waves and current) next month should all things go according to schedule.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Great stuff again luke. 8)

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Just having a closer look - that photo of the stella and the storm - that's not the makings of a water spout in the background is it? :o

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Just having a closer look - that photo of the stella and the storm - that's not the makings of a water spout in the background is it? :o

Sure is - I have a nasty habit of attracting these things at the Sandy Cape  ::)

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Nice work Luke,

You got onto them ah, well done - the current sure does play a major role in that place working ah.

Like you say though, that is one awesome place isnt it

- but when their is a potential for the weather to turn you sure want to get back fast - not a place to be in the rough and it is a loooong way back.....

You sure got some nice fish - those kings are fantastic - as is mr GT or mrs as you refer to it as....

8)

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
That's insane Luke!
Not too shabby for a days fishing that's for sure!
<*///><

Ivan Verhage

great report   :o :o :o :o :(

loose many poppers to the macks?

i might go up with nomad for a three day trip

cheers

Damien Phillip

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
That water spout is craaazy! Great pics, fish and report Luke.

Aaron Concord

Hey Luke,

I'm just glad you got to see about a place that I have raved to you for 18 months to you!

Ya got a tad revved up at times with me recounting some of the ridiculous sized GEE's that live there.

An epic first time on the bombie mate....it reinforces the fantastic sportfish that inhabit Break Sea Spit.

Ah...yeah....water spouts & Sandy Cape go together WAAAAAAAAAY too well eh??

Congrats,

Aaron.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
Luke well done mate..
Fishing there looks good as there is a big variety of fish been caught on popper and jigg,nice cobes and nice looking spanyid on popper..

Good report mate and well done again.. ;)