Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Orpheus/Fantome/Palm - anyone popped them?
January 09, 2010, 07:51:41 PM
A mate and I have 8 days from next weekend to chase GT's...the destination of choice is the Percy Group and reef out from there however i'm looking at the 7 day forecast and am trying to put together some plan B and C's in case we can't get to where we want. 

Ideally we'd like to be camping remotely and fishing by day however we're happy to be based out of coastal town also.  Also ideally we'd like access to both island and reef poppng should the weather gods agree.  The Whistsundays are probably plan C at the moment, mainly because any weather system affecting the Percy's will most likely affect the 'sundays.

So i've come up with Orpheus/Fantome/Palm island systems and the reefs out from there.  Has anyone fished there before?  Is there some reliable GT action to be had?

Jordan Hack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Orpheus/Fantome/Palm - anyone popped them?
January 11, 2010, 04:39:36 PM
Hey Travis, about a year ago myself and a few mates camped out on Orpheus and fished around the three islands you have mentioned. Absolutely beutiful spot to base yourself from, especially the camp site at yanks jetty. The fishing was a bit slow however but we did manage a few strikes including one gt around the 20kg mark. Other than that schools of tuna kept us busy along with a nice golden taken jigging and a few trout and other reefies for the table. The weather was average the whole time so most of the fishing was done on the inside of the islands. I think the ocean side may be more productive. You also have the sugar loader jetty out from Lucinda that holds plenty of queenys, gts and big eyes. I have been meaning to pop the end of the jetty with some larger poppers as i am told there are some unstoppables that call it home. I am yet to fish the reefs out from there but i am sure they will hold good populations of gts and the run from Orpheus isn't too far. I will see if I can dig up a few photos from the trip

Jordan Hack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 11, 2010, 05:46:07 PM
can't seem to find gt pictures from trip for some reason. Here are a few pics that give an idea how nice the place is

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 11, 2010, 06:51:38 PM
Awesome, thanks Jordan.  Does look like a cracking spot.  Looks like the Percy trip is on so will put this one on the "to do" list.  Cheers