David Murphy

Attatching popper to leader
August 14, 2010, 10:58:06 AM
Could I get some advice on the best way to attatch poppers to leader.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Attatching popper to leader
August 14, 2010, 12:34:03 PM
Would be good to know what leader you are using David....  Just simple braided line -> shock leader -> popper set up? Or twisted leader? Or wind-on leader?

If the former, the simplest way of rigging the terminal end is leader -> swivel -> split ring -> popper. Spend some money on the swivels and split rings as there can be nothing worse than your set up failing because of weakness in those elements.

Given the excellent nature of the content of this forum there must be an existing thread somewhere to refer you to but I can't find it!
Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:36:43 PM by Mark Harris

Colin P

August 14, 2010, 06:15:01 PM
I tend to go leader>solid ring>split ring>popper - but I often use twisted leaders with an integral solid ring.

David Murphy

August 14, 2010, 08:32:42 PM
I'll be using braid to 10ft leader.  Do you crimp the swivel to the leader?

David Murphy

August 14, 2010, 08:46:41 PM
also what size split ring should I use and what would you consider to be the best swivels and split rings

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 14, 2010, 09:30:45 PM
A lot of this is personal preference.

There are different views on leader lengths but I do not think 10 ft is long enough. My rule of thumb is 3 to 5 turns of leader on the spool with 2-3 feet remaining past the rod tip.

When using a simple shock leader up to +/- 200lbs I do not find the need for any crimping, and attach to the swivel using a uni knot. 

For swivels look no further than NT...... if you can get them. Don't know about availability in Australia. I source them in Singapore. I am sure the Australian-based members have info on that and/or some alternative suggestions.

I like Owner and Varivas split rings and use sizes anywhere from 170lb to 400lbs depending on the size of set up.

Again, I am sure others will have differing views.

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
August 15, 2010, 05:13:04 AM
Hi
We've been using the same set up for both GT and Bluefin tuna with almost 0 failure,
it might sound a bit complicated but it is not,
5 to 6 feet of 130lb Jerry brown that has loop at both end,
first loop will be attached to the main braided line with improved albright knot,
second loop will be attached to your twisted leader (150LB) as loop to loop,
at the end of the twisted leader your choice of shock leader (300lb)
you lay down the twisted leader next to the shock leader and you form figure 8 knot (that knot will stay out of the rod tip while casting)
last you tie clinch knot to the solid ring and a 300lb of split ring of your choice,
now you are ready to battle,
Tight lines
  Sami

Marc Vandaele

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 30, 2012, 03:19:49 AM
Sami,what kind of improved albright knot you use best for that leader?
6 or 7 twists up and the same back and then another few on 1side from loop and the mainline or...?

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 10, 2012, 01:16:07 PM
Hi
We've been using the same set up for both GT and Bluefin tuna with almost 0 failure,
it might sound a bit complicated but it is not,
5 to 6 feet of 130lb Jerry brown that has loop at both end,
first loop will be attached to the main braided line with improved albright knot,
second loop will be attached to your twisted leader (150LB) as loop to loop,
at the end of the twisted leader your choice of shock leader (300lb)
you lay down the twisted leader next to the shock leader and you form figure 8 knot (that knot will stay out of the rod tip while casting)
last you tie clinch knot to the solid ring and a 300lb of split ring of your choice,
now you are ready to battle,
Tight lines
  Sami

sami, how's it goin? hope everything's well..

i was recently handed some 130lbs JB hollow and was advised that it can be used as a shock leader (replacing the FC or non-FC monofilament ones). the benefits i can foresee are basically, the hollow holds no memories and of course, it is much slimmer than the monofilament ones. The unforesee-able would be whether it'd be an able replacement of 'traditional' leaders.. what's your take on this?

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 10, 2012, 11:33:43 PM
Robin,

Is it (JB hollow) stretchable? I mean that one of the main purpose of shock leader is absorbing shock loads. I have never held JB in hands, but I always thought JB hollow braid made of Spectra was non-stretchable like PE...

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 11, 2012, 01:11:20 PM
Robin,

Is it (JB hollow) stretchable? I mean that one of the main purpose of shock leader is absorbing shock loads. I have never held JB in hands, but I always thought JB hollow braid made of Spectra was non-stretchable like PE...

hi Dmitrii, yes it's the hollow JB and i honestly don't think it's stretch-able.. i was just wondering if it can be an able replacement for FC/monofilament leaders.. i agree that the shock leaders main purpose is to absorb the shocks and truth be told, i'm just a little sceptical about replacing it with a hollow JB.. i guess there's only 1 way to find out  ;)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 11, 2012, 02:28:01 PM
I can't  see how any braided mainline can be used as a leader? It doesn't stretch and has little abrasion resistance.
Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:47:26 PM by Mark Harris

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 11, 2012, 08:02:30 PM
i agree with you, Mark. anyway, i will try it out...... just to kill the curiousity! haha!

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 13, 2012, 04:23:48 AM
JB Hollow 130lb > Fisherman 240lb leader > Owner King Stain Swivel > Owner 11# Split Ring > Popper

Does the job :)