Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Alor Archipelago - Nov 5 to 11 2010, a bit quiet
November 13, 2010, 01:53:24 PM
Just back from 5 nights liveaboard fishing at Alor on the splendid Ocean Dreams boat. 

The trip was OK but not great. Bite rate was lower than you would expect and we could not raise any monsters. Did not land any GTs over 25 kgs, although we got into at least 3 way bigger but they all bust off.  Plenty of GTs in the 15 to 25 category. Had a triple strike of 3 giant Barras on poppers in the 25 kg range, and got two of those on board.  Also Red Bass on poppers.

Jigging for Doggies around the Pulau Kambing mount was just frustrating. The current was running at anything from 4 to 7(!) knots much of the time. We had one exciting night jigging session there with multiple monster bust offs. Very big fish for sure but not landed.

Otherwise we had fun light casting at tuna boils and landed a number of small YFTs, Skipjacks and Rainbow Runners. 

Notably, I have pinned two new sites in the northeast both of which had 30-40 kg GTs sighted but not caught. We went up there on spec as the normal sites were not producing big fish and happy to pass those sites on to anyone who is interested. Good sites for sure with real potential for monsters, if a bit of a trek away from the main Alor locations - we sailed overnight to get there for dawn and then fished our way back.

It was an enjoyable trip with great company but ultimately a bit disappointing as the monsters were not coming out to play. 

Some pics with apologies for the size of the fish.

Our home:

Great boat for casting:

GT:

A grumpy black GT:

GT:

GT:

GT:

And a GT:

Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:27:31 PM by Mark Harris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
And some other stuff.

This was a triple strike of large 'cudas but one bust off.

Teeth with an Adhek Gecko 160 gram:

Nice little Bluefin:

Light casting fun with Rainbow Runner, YFT and Skipjack:

Red Bass on popper:

And a Wahoo:

Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:28:58 PM by Mark Harris

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Mark ,

I know that boat , used to be in JKT . A great boat for casting on the bow but the cockpit is a little cramped . Nice for maximum 4 guys + Captain n crews . In my opinion , this year the starting of the lull in the wind has been delayed till the end of the month or early next month . Good review nevertheless and thanks for posting .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Beautiful looking area - makes me wish I was going fishing instead of off to London  :'(
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It is stunningly beautiful Brandon. I will not clog the forum up with non-fish images, but the combination of low lying fertile islands with deserted white beaches, active volcanoes smoking on the horizon, daily dolphins and the odd humpback whale, and the most breathtaking sunsets, make for a magical experience out there in the archipelago.

I just wish I had some monster GT pics to post, but sadly not this time. As others who have fished East Nusa Tengarra will attest though, even a 20-25 kg GT is a mighty strong creature when it was born and bred in those wicked currents.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Usually Alor and the whole of NTT province wud be bone dry due to Australian winter but this year it's all green due to La Nina weather pattern .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Kaiser Pro Shop

Hi Mark,

Nice report. Tough luck on the fishing. At least you had great company with Ayie & Vincent!

The north east spot Alor spot looks interesting...is this off Tanjong Manomoni or Tanjong Irikaka?

See you next week,
MarkR

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
verry pretty indeed

Henry Sung

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Nice report Mark.

Hope your next trip will be even better. Have a great weekend

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Mark,

Nice report. Tough luck on the fishing. At least you had great company with Ayie & Vincent!

The north east spot Alor spot looks interesting...is this off Tanjong Manomoni or Tanjong Irikaka?

See you next week,
MarkR

The company was indeed excellent  ;).

The two best northern spots were off Sikka Island (there is a very healthy and extensive shallow reef here) and in far northeast between Tanjung Babi and the very northeastern tip of main Alor island (a long, dramatic drop off).

Yep, see you next weekend - looking forward to it.

Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 02:12:54 AM by Mark Harris

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The scenery there looks breathtaking, makes me really want to do an indo trip - soon!

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
Nice trip report mate,any GTs are great fun... ;)

Patrick Naslund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Nice report Mark.
Even though you didn't get any monsters on this trip .. it sure looks like a nice place to fish :)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks all. And no real complaints from this trip. It is indeed a beautiful part of the world and there were plenty of fish. Just missing the monster or two that would have made all the difference.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I thought I saw Vincent's broad grin there!

Hi Mark,

See you next week,
MarkR
If it swims; I want to catch it!