chris coates

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
rowley shoals october 2011
September 22, 2011, 05:15:25 PM
hey all I'm going to the rowley shoals off broom in October this year.
i was wondering if anyone's been there and if so what success did you have with GT's and what on? I'm super doper keen to get a hook into one.
me and my mate are getting contour vid cams (like a go-pro) so we'll throw up some vids when we get back. ;D ;D
Hunt Smart Fish Hard

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: rowley shoals october 2011
September 23, 2011, 06:55:48 AM
Chris, I thought the pilbra boys might know about this area and given a reply.
I haven't been to the shoals but I have been to Broom, The amount of water movement in that part of the world is amazing. Derby gets an 11m tidal exchange! There would have to be GT's on the shoals and the jigging should be good as well with 200m+ up to reef that comes out of the water at low tide!
Far out just looking at it makes me want to go as well!
Hope you have a good trip :D

Mick Rowley

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 23, 2011, 10:39:23 PM
Hey Chris,
went to the rowley shoals with reel teaser charters years ago and encountered plenty of gt's, got them up to 25kg, lots around the 15-17kg range, heaps of fun, got dusted several times on the inside of the reef whilst chasing trout etc on lighter gear also, used halco haymakers and river2sea dumbells on the outside of the reef and the gt's smashed them. Plenty of incidentals also whilst chasing gt's, heaps of trout, red bass etc. Its a great place to visit and fish.
Mick.

chris coates

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 24, 2011, 06:13:24 PM
Hey Mick I'm going on the same charter Prity stoked that you got plenty of fish hopefully it's still providing. Did you do any jigging? I really want to get a doggie ay.
Hunt Smart Fish Hard

Doug Mac

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 24, 2011, 07:08:25 PM
Hi Chris
Have been to Rowley Shoals with Reelteaser also. The popping is pretty much as Mick said , you should have no trouble hooking into a doggie on jigs , landing them before the sharks arrive can be a bit of an issue at times though !! The size of the dogs there can vary from pups to unstoppables and you even get the odd GT on the jigs as well.
All in all it's a great place to fish onboard a very well run operation.

Doug

Mick Rowley

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 25, 2011, 10:38:49 PM
Hey Chris,
As doug said the sharks can be a real problem at the rowleys, never had them take any fish we caught on poppers but they would happily eat the poppers themselves and when trolling they were pests, they really love small yellowfin!!!!! every now and then they would also hit the troll lures (laser pros & x-raps) and give you hell for a while, some big ones too!!!!! We got maybe a dozen doggies for the trip, all small ones about 3-4kg and one at about 12kg all off the back of the boat at night on soft plastics. We did some jigging at night of the back of the boat but never got anyhting on the jigs, we probably didnt put in a huge effort on the jigs because we were buggered from fishing all day and found that the soft plastics were much more user friendly and also caught plenty, espicially when fishing to 11pm at night. If taking jigs over you only need a handfull in my opinion. Ross Newton has caught plenty of doggies at night there and plenty of big ones also, he gets some on poppers at night too. Also plenty of sizeable sharks lurk the back of the boat at night. You'll have a great time, awesome place to fish and a good operators too.
Mick.

chris coates

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 27, 2011, 10:20:11 PM
Hey Chris,
As doug said the sharks can be a real problem at the rowleys, never had them take any fish we caught on poppers but they would happily eat the poppers themselves and when trolling they were pests, they really love small yellowfin!!!!! every now and then they would also hit the troll lures (laser pros & x-raps) and give you hell for a while, some big ones too!!!!! We got maybe a dozen doggies for the trip, all small ones about 3-4kg and one at about 12kg all off the back of the boat at night on soft plastics. We did some jigging at night of the back of the boat but never got anyhting on the jigs, we probably didnt put in a huge effort on the jigs because we were buggered from fishing all day and found that the soft plastics were much more user friendly and also caught plenty, espicially when fishing to 11pm at night. If taking jigs over you only need a handfull in my opinion. Ross Newton has caught plenty of doggies at night there and plenty of big ones also, he gets some on poppers at night too. Also plenty of sizeable sharks lurk the back of the boat at night. You'll have a great time, awesome place to fish and a good operators too.
Mick.

hey Mick what size jig heads where you using and what softies when you got the doggies? iv got a few packs of white 6'' snapbacks and squidge's about the same size but as ive never been I'm not sure the depths of water ill be fishing in. how deep where the night time morings?
Hunt Smart Fish Hard

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 27, 2011, 10:33:43 PM
hey Mick what size jig heads where you using and what softies when you got the doggies? iv got a few packs of white 6'' snapbacks and squidge's about the same size but as ive never been I'm not sure the depths of water ill be fishing in. how deep where the night time morings?

Night time moorings were generally around 35-50m when I was at the shoals.

Mick Rowley

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 27, 2011, 11:29:20 PM
Hey Chris,
night time moorings from memory were about 30-50m as Jay said, jig head sizes ranged from 1/2oz through to 1oz and we used stickbaits 6" to 9", i think they were tiki worms, lots of 7" gulps and big squidgie fish. Lots of black trevally, small doggies, red bass etc of the back of the boat at night plus sharks!!!! Mostly only using light gear 6-8kg spin sticks 4000-6000 sized reels matched with 30lb braid and had heaps of fun, every night though we got towelled up big time by something that got us into the reef, we suspected bigger red bass or slightly bigger doggies. We also threw some halco max and tremblers around at night for some success, got a real nice spanish one night on a max that we only got the head back, all good fun.
Mick.