Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jewell Reef is just around the corner
October 20, 2011, 01:57:12 PM
Hey guys

Just been thinking, I am getting super pumped for my trip to Jewell Reef (countdown well and truly on, start fishing next Friday!) I am planning on taking two popping outfits (one heavy one medium), a medium-heavy jigging outfit, and at the moment I am seriously thinking of taking a light (pe3) outfit as well as a pe5 outfit

My reasoning is that sometimes when you are getting smashed in the shallows on the PE3 it might be a good idea to step up to a slightly heavier outfit to give you more of a chance on the critters like bass and trout.

On the other hand....taking 5 rods (and more importantly 5 reels) really eats into the baggage allowance and I am wondering if I am being a bit silly.

Any thoughts by way of encouragement or suggestions to restrict the rod numbers would be very welcome.

I have toyed with the idea of just taking one popper rod, my Ripple 79R and leaving the 79H at home....the reality is I can't use the 79H for very long periods but I do like to use bigger lures occasionally and feel this might be a good destination for it as I have heard there are some horse GT around there. Any thoughts on whether maybe this should be the one to stay behind would be welcome (Brandon, I am looking at you here!)

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • winner 2010 MC award Elusive GT tournament
  • Liked:
Re: Jewell Reef is just around the corner
October 20, 2011, 03:58:20 PM
Hey Buddy ole pal

looks like i get to scream and shout at you all week out at Jewell mate  ;D

With regards to the extra baggage weight with your reels, you could bring both rods and alternate the reel for which one you want to use at the time, not ideal but i am sure the helpful guides wouldnt mind tying a new knot for you each time  :D

otherwise mate when do you get into Cairns ?

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 20, 2011, 04:38:16 PM
You better be on top of your game bro, I am going to be putting you through your paces!! Super pumped

I have 2 spare 20000 size spools for my old 10000FA, so in theory I could bring those and use one for the heavier rod and one for the lighter....problem is, I prefer using my 18000SW on the 79R, it is just nicer to use

Gotta check the documents at home but pretty sure I get in to Cairns really early on Friday morning, like 8am, for the charter flight later in the day about midday? Would ordinarily get in the day before but think I was able to get connecting flights that meant I could avoid overnighting in Cairns either way, which means 2 nights less away from home = happier wife

Really looking forward to it. The Bligh reports have been almost pushing me over the edge here in Sydney, sounds like you guys had some epic times there recently with insane weather + hot bites.

I am starting to think that to get around the rod and reel conundrum I might bring the 5 rods and only 4 reels and not bring a separate 20000 for jigging, I can just take the reel off my heavier popper rod if we decide to jig at all....not ideal as won't have coloured braid and requires rod swapping but probably won't jig much anyway
might also only bring poppers and stickbaits (ie no jigs and no light tackle lures) and just use the jigs and light tackle lures from onboard as needs. That will probably save me a kilo or two, enough to justify the extra outfit!

Amazing how easy it is to solve these huge problems when you spend a while at work thinking about it :D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 20, 2011, 06:11:17 PM
Scott, I'd drop the PE5 outfit. The monster trout and other reefies there will waste you on PE5 as easily as they will do you on PE3. I take a PE3 in order to get wasted  :o and then after that, just go straight to a PE8. I lost a stack of lures on PE8 there and I know they were reefies!

I actually did not end up using my light outfits much at all. Conversely, my mate James Moran fishes something like a PE1 outfit. I don't know if the fish even know they are hooked on that!

My personal view is that if your weight is limited, drop the jigs. You can always borrow a jig outfit and buy jigs on board.

Hey guys

Just been thinking, I am getting super pumped for my trip to Jewell Reef (countdown well and truly on, start fishing next Friday!) I am planning on taking two popping outfits (one heavy one medium), a medium-heavy jigging outfit, and at the moment I am seriously thinking of taking a light (pe3) outfit as well as a pe5 outfit

My reasoning is that sometimes when you are getting smashed in the shallows on the PE3 it might be a good idea to step up to a slightly heavier outfit to give you more of a chance on the critters like bass and trout.

On the other hand....taking 5 rods (and more importantly 5 reels) really eats into the baggage allowance and I am wondering if I am being a bit silly.

Any thoughts by way of encouragement or suggestions to restrict the rod numbers would be very welcome.

I have toyed with the idea of just taking one popper rod, my Ripple 79R and leaving the 79H at home....the reality is I can't use the 79H for very long periods but I do like to use bigger lures occasionally and feel this might be a good destination for it as I have heard there are some horse GT around there. Any thoughts on whether maybe this should be the one to stay behind would be welcome (Brandon, I am looking at you here!)
If it swims; I want to catch it!

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • winner 2010 MC award Elusive GT tournament
  • Liked:
October 20, 2011, 08:55:30 PM
You better be nice to the guides, its amazing how much harder it is to cast into the wind than with it  ;)

Yeah mate Bligh reef was fantastic, the diversity of fishing there is amazing,

one day we had a huge Wrasse come up beside the boat and stick its head out of the water and told us he bashed that little Red Bass
that ate your popper in front of him last year   ;D  ( couldnt resist that )

In reality mate with a week left till you leave you will most likely change and re change your possible combinations of rods and lures
at least another dozen times i am sure you will work it out

Thien Dao

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 21, 2011, 02:44:13 AM

With regards to the extra baggage weight with your reels, you could bring both rods and alternate the reel for which one you want to use at the time, not ideal but i am sure the helpful guides wouldnt mind tying a new knot for you each time  :D

They would have to, Mr Maybury couldn't tie a decent knot if his life depended on it! ;D

Major jealousy here mate!

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 21, 2011, 07:16:17 AM

one day we had a huge Wrasse come up beside the boat and stick its head out of the water and told us he bashed that little Red Bass
that ate your popper in front of him last year   ;D  ( couldnt resist that )

In reality mate with a week left till you leave you will most likely change and re change your possible combinations of rods and lures
at least another dozen times i am sure you will work it out

Regarding the tackle....you know me too well! Is it wrong that I pulled out a bunch of poppers last night and started to cull them down to a 'short list' of what to take, to be worked on further over the weekend? My wife thinks I am crazy, but we all know women just don't get it

As for that damn bass....I have nightmares about that bass...it was so small too, definately the smallest one I caught all week!!

Haha Thien is right, I am the world's worst knot tier...but at least once I have tied one I don't go to trim the tag end and cut through the main line hey mate? :D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 21, 2011, 07:39:18 AM
I should point Scott, thet Jewell Reef is the red bass nursery - and I am not joking! Casting your lure over some  of the bommies there will see this red mass appear from nowhere and your lures gets mobbed by fifty red bass, none of which are over 30cms long.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 21, 2011, 10:22:23 AM
I should point Scott, thet Jewell Reef is the red bass nursery - and I am not joking! Casting your lure over some  of the bommies there will see this red mass appear from nowhere and your lures gets mobbed by fifty red bass, none of which are over 30cms long.

Dammit! It just took me 10 minutes to crawl out from under my desk where I have been curled up in the foetal position, rocking back and forth saying 'not the bass, not the bass'