Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Caledonia - January 2012
January 24, 2012, 08:33:34 PM
I was fortunate enough to be invited on a Carpenter testing trip last week to New Caledonia. I joined Konishi San, Kawachi San and Otsuka San on this trip. The charter was arranged by Carpenter Japan and was with an operator I previously knew almost nothing about apart from the fact that he existed. The operator was Powercat Charters, run by Captain Olivier Quach. Olivier runs a big powered catamaran, the Quo Vadis. While normally based in Port Moselle in Noumea, arrangements had been made for us to depart from Koumac in the north.

I'm a bit too tired at the moment to write a comprehensive report so straight to the fishing. We had some excellent fishing  even though there was some pretty rough weather at times. There was also one day when the reef sharks went berserk attacking anything hooked within seconds. I don't think I have ever lost so many lures in such a short time! In retail terms, I reckon we must have lost $4-5K worth of Carpenter lures!

Of the fish captured, I will let the photos cover this aspect. I have decided I will no longer be providing any estimates of fish size. This is for a couple of reasons. First, too many people decided it was more important last year to question whether Malcolm's fish weighed five kilograms less than what LPB estimated rather than simply accept it was a marvellous capture under any circumstances and of late, some of the more extravagant claims on the forum of fish size have been driving Luke and I crazy. To both of us, any GT 30kg and upwards is a big fish but there has become almost an unhealthy obsession around a 50kg capture as if it was the benchmark of a great GT angler. All I can say is that some pretty ordinary anglers can claim fish of that size and some pretty damn good anglers can't.

Memorable moments included:

Kawachi San's stickbait being taken by a mammoth GT that engulfed the lure in eeally shallow water (unfortunately, he lost the fish)
Otsuka San's being spooled in one run in about thirty seconds by something ridiculously huge. If it was a GT, I wouldn't let kids in the water!
Konishi San fighting what he thought was a potential world record only to find a foul hooked mid-szed fish after nearly 25 minutes
Stepping onto the back of the Jack Yvan (the LPB vessel was still anchored at Koumac) for what was almost certainly the last time. Wonderful memories there

As I have not cleared what I can or cannot discuss, I won't go into any details on the prototype equipment tested at this stage other than to say that it was a great testing trip and there is some wonderful stuff coming in the future for those who are patient  ;D

I have no doubt many of you will be interested in the charter we went on. We found Olivier to be a good captain and a genial host. He works very hard to try to get you onto fish and he kept us well entertained during the charter. I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending him.
Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:36:27 PM by Brandon Khoo
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: New Caledonia - January 2012
January 24, 2012, 08:42:49 PM
Some fantastic fish there mate. Looks like a great trip.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
January 24, 2012, 08:46:00 PM
Absolutely fantastic as always Brandon, and such a priviledge for us regular folks to get a look into the incredible world of Carpenter Test trips, so my many thanks for sharing with us...

Some incredible fish there as always, and love the fighting shots!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about the new products...

1st Class as always Brandon, thanks for sharing!
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Allan Chan Hian Lian

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 24, 2012, 08:51:02 PM
Wonderful fishing & nice rod bending Brandon.
Allanchl

Kurt de Villiers

• Red Bass
  • go ugly early!
  • Liked:
January 24, 2012, 08:51:59 PM
Mr Khoo,

would you care to share what hooks (reef anchors) Mr Konishi is/was using on the gamma in the fourth picture down from the top...

kind regards

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 24, 2012, 09:02:29 PM
he has Decoys on the Gamma, Kurt.

Matt Born

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 24, 2012, 09:31:12 PM
awesome!

these pics - along with Wangers movies are really showing off New caledonia, definitely have to get down there!

congrats! looks great! love the white on the gamma!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 24, 2012, 10:02:05 PM
Yep, quite brilliant and it is a real privilege to get an insight into these sort of testing trips.

Rob Langridge

• Fusilier
  • I intend to live forever...... So far, so good.
  • Liked:
January 24, 2012, 10:41:51 PM
G`Day Brandon

Very nice to hear the Carpenter testing trip was a success. The pictures speak volumes.
And i agree 100 percent with you about Malcolm`s fish being a marvellous capture that fish was huge. At present i can only dream of catching a GT of that size.

Thanks for sharing Brandon.

Cheers Rob
Cheers,
Rob

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 24, 2012, 11:46:04 PM
$4k to $5k worth of Carpenter lures lost?? That's just sacrileges!

Great catch report Brandon - some very nice GTs

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 25, 2012, 12:25:42 AM
I spy with my little eye...

a leetle guy with a really short, fat feesh!
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 25, 2012, 01:21:24 AM

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 25, 2012, 02:56:00 AM
very nice trip, Brandon.
care to share the contact for Powercat Charters.

can't wait to hear what Carpenter's the new rods for GTs...
i heard EP86/40...

cheers
izhan

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 25, 2012, 06:10:39 AM
yes, that was a really short fish but it was built like Mike Tyson. Here is a picture of a very sad looking leetle guy after an encounter of about thirty seconds with something monstrous

I spy with my little eye...

a leetle guy with a really short, fat feesh!

Martin Gundersen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 25, 2012, 06:57:41 AM
Some great GT's there
Thanks for shearing

Lost lures for 4-5k, i'll go broke in a couple of days  :(
Tight lines
Martin