Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sebile Splasher 240
February 06, 2012, 08:03:15 PM
Guys,

Is anyone planning on giving this bad-boy a go, when their released? Was scheduled for a 2011 release, but was delayed in production.

http://www.sebile.com.au/Sebile_Products/SS_Splasher_240_FL.html

338g - That's a Big Lure!

Cheers Ben

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Sebile Splasher 240
February 06, 2012, 08:10:54 PM
A 240 mm lure weighing 338 grams??!!  Bloody hell.  An awful lot of that weight must be metal weights inside I guess?   

To put that in perspective a Long Kong popper is 260 mm and weighs 180 grams.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
February 06, 2012, 08:35:11 PM
Instead of an internal wire......its got a cut metal plate!

Doesn't look like much on the surface......... but that underwater footage is gold, specially the GT take!

Not sure I've got a rod that would cast it........bring out the popper cannon!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 06, 2012, 08:49:23 PM
Try the Trebuchet..

Not sure I've got a rod that would cast it........bring out the popper cannon!
Set the ray to GeeT

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 06, 2012, 09:17:41 PM
Hey guys,
               I got one of the original 20 that were made off one of the guides at nomad and I never put it on the scales but it certainly didn't feel like 338g to me. I was using a widowmaker to cast it and it did it easily, much easier than a icup with 10/0 trebles. It actually cast pretty good considering the shape it flew straight and far. They're designed to be worked with short pops and personally I didn't think much of it at all. It pulls out of the water really easily if you try big bloops even in pretty good conditions. I was hoping it was gonna be the monster popper to lure the big one up from the depths, but instead was very disappointed and gave it back. Someone mentioned something bout craftbait should make a 220g gt3 and I think that is the lure to look forward too!
     Chris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 06, 2012, 09:55:55 PM
Interesting Christoffer. Maybe it is a mis-print!

Fishing with an I-Cup is a thoroughly unpleasant experience. Something weighing 338 grams and made of plastic to boot, is unthinkable!

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 06, 2012, 10:09:05 PM
Yer mark maybe. I know it says 338g in the catalog and although I never weighed it comparing it to other lures I'm sure it wasn't that heavy. It was easy to cast a long way without over saturating the rod which is rated to 230g max. It's definitely a big lure but it's pop is not!

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 06, 2012, 10:22:55 PM
I think the splashers are normally sold rigged, so I guess that includes the weight of the terminals.......errr, and maybe the box......errr, and a couple of spare swivels and rings.......err, and a thumb on the scales!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 06, 2012, 10:52:34 PM
I think rigged with a Baker of these Pete:

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 06, 2012, 10:57:39 PM
http://www.sebile.com.au/Sebile_Products/SS_Splasher_190_FL.html

The 190 on the site is 165g, I've just weighed one without hooks and it's 145g.
So your right, their weights include Hooks and Split Rings.

Even still, you looking at at least 285g of lure, minimum.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 07, 2012, 01:06:57 AM
I really am not a big fan of these poppers at all. You don't work them at all like a conventional popper because if you try, you'll be imitating a flying fish. Any attempt at a real pop sees these fly out of the water. You work them with these little flicks of the wrist. I appreciate that these are great for anglers who have never done heavy popping before and find working any decent cup sized popper exhausting.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 07, 2012, 01:12:32 AM
I have one smaller one in my possession. It is a weird looking thing and I can see why it likes to fly. I hasten to add I did not buy it!

I had heard though that the Nomad guys were recommending these as the best thing since sliced bread? Is that because they get some less experienced customers and these work well for them?

michael north

February 07, 2012, 06:53:20 AM
I believe nomad may have some connection with sebile. Don't quote me on this but I noticed it when I bought a rod from them, I can't exactly remember what it was whether it was on a receipt or how someone answered a phone. 

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 07, 2012, 07:32:17 AM
Nomad is the Australian distributor for Sebile.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 07, 2012, 08:53:05 AM
I really am not a big fan of these poppers at all. You don't work them at all like a conventional popper because if you try, you'll be imitating a flying fish. Any attempt at a real pop sees these fly out of the water. You work them with these little flicks of the wrist. I appreciate that these are great for anglers who have never done heavy popping before and find working any decent cup sized popper exhausting.

I'm glad its not just me.  After seeing all the hype behind them I went and bought one of the 190 size about 6 months back to use on kings down south.  I thought it must have just been the rough conditions on the first try, but by the second go (in calmer water) I was convinced I must have had a factory second or something, spending more time skipping across the surface than chugging!  I eventually gave up and binned it!...........So that's the trick hey.......not really what I had in mind when I bought it.