Glenn Travis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
All rounder rod
May 22, 2012, 01:44:01 PM
Hi All

I am off to western australia next month on a road trip from Perth to Darwin. As you can imagine there should be some good fishing along the way!! but will only be taking 1 rod. I will be casting stickbaits from 110 to 170 grams, and poppers from 120 to 150 grams. ideally i would like to pair it with my 10k stella and the jm spool loaded with Pe8, but also have a 18k stella.
3 rods i have been looking at, that i think could do the job nicely.
Hots Gipang 83H
FCL Labo 81 Extreme MH
Synit Topshot Gt
Any recommendations on these rods would be appreciated, and if any one else would like to add to this please do.

Cheers
          Glenn

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: All rounder rod
May 22, 2012, 02:05:41 PM
Carpenter DJ83MH! Enough rod to work all those lures with no problems and long enough to use shore based as well.
I have one and I love it to death.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 22, 2012, 04:02:58 PM
Carpenter Coral Viper CV79/40

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 22, 2012, 04:26:03 PM
Poor bugger...  Perth to Darwin and you're only taking 1 rod  :o  :-[ :-[

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 22, 2012, 04:36:17 PM

Unlikely you will be able to find a DJ83MH - otherwise that is a perfect recommendation from Ben.  It will be interesting to see if Carpenter ever make many of these again or if it becomes a discontinued classic.

Ripple Fisher GT82 would also be a decent choice for those specs.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 22, 2012, 05:19:07 PM
Hi Mark ,

DJ83MH and it's sibling DJ83ML will be available in the 3rd quarter of 2012 , it's still the longest most popular Carpenter rods in production todate .

Jon .

Unlikely you will be able to find a DJ83MH - otherwise that is a perfect recommendation from Ben.  It will be interesting to see if Carpenter ever make many of these again or if it becomes a discontinued classic.

Ripple Fisher GT82 would also be a decent choice for those specs.
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 22, 2012, 05:34:19 PM
Great to hear that Jon.

I guess the series is not being phased out because of the similarity with newer Monster Hunter blank?

The fact the the DJs have been around so long when other Carpenter models have come and gone, is great testimony to just how good they are.

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 22, 2012, 05:50:46 PM
The djs are available at several online stores, not site sponsors. Mark how can you recommend at rf82lc. It's not even a carpenter!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 22, 2012, 05:57:40 PM
Yep Chris, there are a few DJ83MH around the tracks in different stores. I guess left over from the last production which I think was a while ago now. It is good to know from Jon that this superb rod will remain in production for at least one more run.

LOL @ RF comment. It does all get a bit Carpenter-centric sometimes :) . I happen to really like the GT82, and thinking about it, this is just about the only non-Carpenter popping rod I use these days.

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 22, 2012, 06:13:36 PM
Mark,
If the 82lc is the only non carpenter rod your using these days I suggest you buy more rods! There are plenty of great rods coming out from other manufacturers that don't even get a mention anymore. My last purchase was a Fcl 81ext mh. A pe10 stickbait rod that weighs 370g and has a drag rating of 17kg! I haven't fished it yet but will post a review of this as soon as I do.
The synit you mention Glenn is another awesome rod and will do everything your after very well plus heaps of power to fish beyond pe8 if needed.
Chris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 22, 2012, 06:34:38 PM
Chris, with the notable exception of lures, I think the last thing I need more of is popping rods :).  Already have far too many of various brands that I never use  :-\.

Of those you mention the FLC Labo range has been talked about quite a lot here.

In all seriousness, there is a very good reason why so many GT anglers are Carpenter-centric when it comes to rods.
Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:08:57 PM by Mark Harris

Glenn Travis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 22, 2012, 10:10:46 PM
So carpenter are the only ones making fishing rods these days ;D
Thanks for the replys on the discovery journey, i have been looking closely at that rod, but considered the others as they are sum wat not as expensive.
Chris ill be looking forward to hearing your reviews on the 81 ext mh.