Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Musandam Oman heating up
August 18, 2012, 06:40:01 PM
It has been a long hot summer but the fish started showing up early about 3 weeks ago. We have been having some great fun with sails, smaller GTs, queens. But this last week bigger fish started showing up. I think that most of the fish we have caught up until now have been smaller resident fish but the bigger fish are moving in from the deeper water now that the inshore water is slowly started to cool down. Still a long way away from being anything less than bath water.

But there have been a heap of guys wanting to get in some practice before we start in Southern Oman next month. Plenty of equipment been bought and now need a test run before the main match! This last weekend David and Ian from Muscat Oman came up to Musandam and met up with Trevor from Dubai at our villa GT House. The weather was not that great with some wind making conditions tough. Cameron was skippering and guiding on our 40ft Seamaster and managed to get the guys around the top into some calmer water and found some decent fish. The guys had plenty of fun with queens with double and triple hook ups and then Ian hooked up to a bigger fish and he landed his first GT! Then as beginners luck would have it he hooked up again and landed another nice GT.

Ian with his first GT!

Trevor and Ian with the second GT

The following day Harald and Trevor joined up forces and headed up into the Musandam with the goal to target fish on the fly! With the conditions still tough with the khareef winds still blowing offshore. Harald stuck to his guns and was rewarded with a great GT on fly. Harald was using a #10 Sage and an Abel Super 12 reel. He had a small deceiver on to enable him to get a bit of distance and he hooked up. Fought the fish very well and landed the first GT in Oman for the season. the guys also caught several queenies on fly and spinning.  So in all a great weekend and good to see some bigger fish starting to show up.

Harald very happy his his GT on fly

Harald with a queen on fly

Trevor with one of his queens, definitely not wanting to let this one go!! My precious.......

Cheers,
Nick

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Musandam Oman heating up
August 18, 2012, 07:09:35 PM
Thanks for that Nick,

Cameron wanted to take that queenie from me and put it back in the water!! (he succeeded)

Noticed I ditched my hat, not sure which is worse the hat or the hairdo.

Fly is a real proposition in Musandam as it's such a diverse fishery. There's everything from light tackle sportsfishing to GTs and Sailfish and all can be targeted within the same day.

Regards,

Trevor 

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
August 19, 2012, 04:35:28 PM
Hi Trevor! Hope you guys had a good day out! Hopefully next time the weather plays the game a bit more!! Still 50/50 on the hat!!

Cheers,
Nick

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 19, 2012, 05:34:38 PM
Nick,

Nearly bought one of those golfing shades that you wear at the shop this morning then thought 'nah' I'd rather people thought I was an idiot rather than effeminate.  :)

Regards,

Trev

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
August 19, 2012, 07:48:20 PM
I think you could pull off the peak and the pink shirt no problem! Will have to make a plan next time you in the shop........

You able to fish this week?

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 20, 2012, 02:01:51 PM
Yes mate, sent you a text.

You mean like this?

Regards,

Trevor

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
August 22, 2012, 02:52:32 PM
Look how happy it makes me...........

andy cooper

August 22, 2012, 04:50:06 PM
nick, looks like a fishing utopia,what sort of prices are your charters? just wondering whether it would be viable coming from Australia!

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 22, 2012, 05:08:01 PM
Andy,

Being an Aussie but living in Dubai I can vouch that the fishing will knock your socks off!!

My suggestion for the best bang for your buck would be to fish Musandam for a few days (2 hours drive from Dubai) and then book one of Nick's trips to southern Oman. You could, of course, do it the other way around and fish Musandam on your way back from southern Oman via Dubai.

I'm always available to share the cost of the boat.

Regards,

Trevor

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
August 23, 2012, 05:40:04 AM
Looking forward to having more fly fishing guys aboard Al Sayyed. I thought GT fishermen were a bunch of fanatics but the fly guys take it a step further! Well done to Harald for persevering casting a 9 weight in a 16 knot wind is not for the faint of heart.
Trev looking forward to having you out again soon there's a big slab of a GT with your name on it lurking in the Musandam can't wait till we find him.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 23, 2012, 01:05:14 PM
Cameron,

I've already had a ball with what's scoffed my lures (except for those bloody gars), there has rarely been a dull moment.

As to a large GT, I've fished enough to know that trophy fish come with the hard yards. I'm prepared to spend whatever time on the water is required to get there. Makes it a lot easier with captains like yourself, of course.

And then there is southern Oman in October.......

Regards,

Trevor

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
August 23, 2012, 02:21:55 PM
Hi Andy,

We have been very lucky to have found some great fishing over here. When I arrived here and we started fishing 10 years ago Oman was not even considered a fishing destination, but over the last few years we have discovered and found great fishing in Musandam and Southern Oman and now we are very happy that it is considered one of the top GT and fishing destinations. I will obviously be biased and say yes it is worth the trip, but to be 100% honest I think Oman is a destination that you need to visit at least once. It is an amazing place but it is more because of the culture and incredible scenery and people. It takes you totally out of your comfort zone and exposes you to new experiences. It is not the traditional lush green tropical setting that you normally associate with GT fishing.

I'm not sure if you are the same but for me I love traveling to new places and meeting new people and seeing different ways of fishing and then bring everything back home and try implement new things and ways of operating or even tying knots etc. Also I think all of us always think the sea is bluer on the other side of the world. So there is always a longing to travel to new places to see for ourselves. Although we have some of the biggest GTs around and I can go fish almost anytime' I'm always planning new trips to Maldives, Andaman, Japan and hopefully Australia. So the short of it yes I would say it is worth the trip but not solely for the trip but to rather experience something new and hopefully catch a trophy fish as well.

We have a great bunch of friends and clients over here so there is always guys keen to join trips and make up trips so give us a shout if you keen and hopefully you can experience Oman and UAE for yourself! Trevor fishes with us a lot and would be a great help on a trip along with having great fun!

Cheers,
Nick

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
August 24, 2012, 01:53:39 PM
It has already been a great start to the season over here in Oman. We started fishing basically in the middle of summer and it has been paying off with some great fish and giving us awesome practice for Southern Oman which will start next month plus loosing a bit of weight!! The fish are by no means monsters but some solid fish up to 30kgs have started to come out but really good fun on the lighter tackle.

Stanty, Sakkie and Shaun drove through from Dubai to our lodge GT House in Dibba Musandam and met up with Cameron and Anura the guys set up all the tackle and had a braai (BBQ) with a few splashes of happiness! The guys were mainly fishing light tackle. Early the next morning the guys headed up for the top of the Musandam and from the first drift got into great fishing. They ended up with 10 GTs and a heap of big queenfish. Awesome fishing and made braving the heat all worth it!! Stanty also managed to get a couple of fish on the fly which was good fun!

This season is already looking fantastic and it is good to get back on the water so early. Hopefully we will head down to Southern Oman to start the season middle of next month and then have quite a few International trips planned so going to be a busy season with lots of fish!! Hit it!!

Cheers,
Nick

Early morning leaving Dibba Fishing Port

Sakkie with a bus queen on light tackle.

Stanty bending on fly

Sakkie bending on the Hots 711MH

Nice GT to start the day

Cameron getting into the action.

Shaun bending on the light Aerocast with PE1.5

Awesome fight and fish

Shaun with another queen on light tackle.

Sakkie with his second GT

Stanty getting in on the GT action.

Sakkie bending again on the 711MH, great fight and a decent fish!

Good sized GT

Team pic

Double trouble of MTs (Mini Trevally)

Cameron and Sakkie with another good GT
Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:48:59 PM by Nick Bowles

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
September 04, 2012, 12:38:24 AM

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 09, 2012, 02:42:03 PM
We did a trip up into the Musandam with Jon Viney, Alex Louw and Damon Beattie as captain and guide to target sailfish of our 32ft Center Console Al Sayyad which is perfectly set up for trolling. Alex is a pro targeting sails so we wanted to see if we could find some new areas and fish. It was an awesome day cruising up into the Musandam with the weather a bit cooler.

We passed several good shoals of small tuna but pushed through to the agreed area we wanted to troll and target sails. As we arrived we saw sails chasing bait great sign, we put out the lures and trolled the area, seeing a few more sails we thought we were going to be in action but unfortunately we only raised one fish and did not manage to hook the fish up. But was good to get out a set a spread for sails!

We trolled through a lot of big shoals of tuna and eventually we could not resist and Jon put in a cast to about 1 million tuna busting and hooked up and landed a nice fish.

We got to one of the islands and there was a nice current and we thought we would try for GTs for a little bit, but as we got closer to the area some massive longtail tuna started busting in the surface, I put in a cast with my aerocast and Stella 5K with a Shout 30gr Dangan with blinged up split rings, swivel and ST66 no2 hook. So I was ready for anything! I went tight and the fight was on! The aerocast is a great light tackle outfit but because of the length does not have to much lifting power on fish over 20kg. The fish sat in the current and we had a back and forth tussle for over an hour, towards the end of the fight the fish came up to the surface and I got a fright when i saw the size of the fish, it must have been 35-40kg, huge and would have come very close if not over the current World Record. All action stations when we saw the fish and we worked the fish another 15 minutes when the fish came to the surface again the leader broke about 10m from the boat. I was using 30lbs Fluro leader and wore through after an epic fight. I was a bit sad but still great fun and even better to see such an awesome fish. The fish and current had pulled us over 4kms from where I hooked the fish!

We set up for our GT drift and on the drift Alex got hit clean out of the water by a big kingfish and then on the next drift Alex, Jon and myself all got hit by good sized kingfish. I got cut off with a Hots stickbait (luckily got it back), Jons fish dropped the lure but Alex managed to hook his kingfish on the Hots 711MH. A great fight and Alex got the fish to the boat and landed.

Really great day out and a little bit of all types of fishing. Good company, good weather can't ask for much more, a few fish a bonus! We been building up to head down to Southern Oman next week to start the season. Everything looking good, the boyz hae been fishing for the last month up North and down South the guys have been fixing up the Island Villa so we have 10 rooms and now the boats have a good number of rod holders so everything is looking fantastic!!

For more products and fishing reports check out our FB www.facebook.com/oceanactive

Cheers,
Nick

Heading out on Al Sayyad 2 early morning

Damon captain for the day!

Jon and Alex setting the lines

Alexs home made teasers

Tuna by the million!!

Jon has to have a throw!!

Nice small longtail taken on light tackle.

Spoon and baitfish

Local fisherman handlining tuna in a big shoal.

Hooked into a bus tuna on light tackle!!

Alex with the kingfish next to the boat.

Alex with a big kingfish taken on the 711MH with a dorado slider.