Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stella 20000FA drag service
October 20, 2012, 11:52:31 PM
Hi mates,
Preparing for the next fishing, I found that one of my spools lost drug smoothness and decided to service all spools not to get in trouble during the fishing. I could service Stella 16000FA spools successfully, but could not do it completely with 20000FA spools. The problem is that I can not get to upper drug washers. The access to upper drag washers is locked with a "C" lock (part #8361 n this schematics http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/shimano/Shimano_stl_20000fa.pdf) and I can not figure out how I can remove it. This C lock acts like retainer spring.

It also looks like this C lock is blocked from top by a thing which is not specified in referred schematics. This "thing" looks like packer (liner) screwed firmly in the spool (if you remove the drag knob you will see it). This packer really looks like integral part of the spool, which is confirmed by the fact that this part is not specified in the schematics, but I do not see any other option to remove "C" lock unless I can unscrew this "packer like thing" somehow...

Has anybody serviced upper drag of 20000FA spool? Please, help!

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Stella 20000FA drag service
October 21, 2012, 03:17:19 AM
Hi Dmitrii,

That is just a circlip that can be removed with circlip pliers or similar - just squeeze the 2 openings together and lift it out. Once out the assembly will come out as normal... :)

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 21, 2012, 02:41:11 PM
Thank you, Clem. I tried to remove it with regular pliers with thin bent lips. I cound squeeze the Circlip by the plier almost in full, but it did not open, so I thought I was doing something wrong. I'll try to get special circlip pliers and try once more. Thank you.

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 21, 2012, 09:36:14 PM
Clem,
I bought circlip pliers today and could remove the C lock. Thank you for your help.

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 21, 2012, 09:40:52 PM
Hi Dmitirii

Good stuff...that particular C-clip is actually quite thick - makes it very stiff and difficult to get out..

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 28, 2012, 08:24:30 AM
A Bluewater fishing issue had quite a detailed article on FA Stella servicing. I used it to do the drag on my 10K FA. Worked very well not that it was a slouch before that.