Tosh Auer

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
what split ring pliers to buy?
December 03, 2012, 05:58:19 PM
Hi guys,

Was this week putting some sj41 13/0 hooks on some lures and after alot of kicking and screaming at split rings I want some new splitty pliers but both pairs I own are the biggest each tackle shop in my town sell. Just wondering what pliers you use and where to buy them from.

Cheers for any help

Tosh

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: what split ring pliers to buy?
December 03, 2012, 06:03:34 PM
Tosh, see: http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=5641.msg47823#msg47823

You will find a lot of votes for Owner GP60 and Duo.

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 03, 2012, 06:49:29 PM
Hey tosh,
I have both owner gp60 and the duo's. For the largest split rings (250+300lb) the owners are better, but the duo are also fine and probaly better with the smaller sizes. The owner rust like anything and you have to spray them with lube after EVERY trip.
Chris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 03, 2012, 07:41:08 PM
Chris is spot on about the GP60s and corrosion. Worth it though in my opinion especially give their relatively low price (less than $50)

For any visible new corrosion I spray mine with WD40 and then gently scrub with a scouring pad. Also spray with silicon after each trip.

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
December 12, 2012, 08:37:28 AM
If its possible to mail order from Sansui Japan I highly recommend their heavy duty spling ring pliers. I routinely go to Tokyo throughout the year for work so not to sure if they do mail order? Their brand is called PELAGIQUE. I use carpenter 350# or varivas 400# split rings and I frequently change baits. These pliers are great, ive had them for over a year and fish at least once a week and as you can see its still got the showroom shine. Every now and then I blast it with silicone spray to keep it water resistance but thats it. They also sell the case for it where you can attach it to a belt or post via a velcro strap on the back. I forgot what I paid for them but it wasn't expensive. I think maybe 40-50 american dollars at the time? The case is extra.

I have used others that are popular on the market and to me this was the best.

I use a yozuri Split ring plier for smaller rings like 120# owners so I don't over stretch them with the Pelagique.

GT FIGHT CLUB

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 12, 2012, 08:59:02 AM
Has anyone tried the GP45 Owner? They look somewhat more rust resistant in comparison to the GP60 but I haven't seen anyone using one yet.

I have about a half dozen pairs of heavy split ring pliers but the GP60 is still the nicest one to use provided I keep it very well greased
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 12, 2012, 08:44:21 PM
Brandon I got a pair quite recently as a birthday present.

They are really nice in the hand and well styled, but nothing like as easy to use as the GP60s with size 10  split rings.  Being quite fine-nosed and stainless, I worry a bit about the nose and or hook snapping.  The tungsten cutter is absolutely excellent and that's a plus over the GP60s. 

I have ear-marked them for lighter weight work than the GP60s.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 12, 2012, 08:57:31 PM
Thanks Mark
I was hoping they had the same size jaws as the GP60s :(
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 12, 2012, 09:04:04 PM
The Owner spec says the GP45 is for split rings sizes 5 to 10 and GP60 for sizes 7 to 11.  I think they are pushing it a bit with the upper end of the GP45 spec.

They are much nicer looking and more blingy than the GP60s  ;)
Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:21:48 AM by Mark Harris

Hwee Guang Phang

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 13, 2012, 01:51:23 PM
i got a GP60 based on the stellar reviews here, you guys ain't kidding about the rust! Brown spots formed even with a rinse of warm water.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 13, 2012, 02:23:50 PM
I am afraid it is the price you pay for a very hardy pair of pliers Hwee.  Stainless rarely lasts the course for heavy split rings.

With the GP60s just keep them well lubed and they will last for years, rust or not :)

Robert Tapert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 13, 2012, 07:06:13 PM
owner GP 60 is the way  to go

i threw a pair of accurate split ring pliers over board in New Caledonia. They  were the worst things i have ever used. They  were brand new and couldn't open the first  split ring i tried.   With the GP 60 I  use a local lanolin and grease  product on them and the rust  seems to stay  at bay... somewhat.  The key is vigilance

Dean Gold

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 14, 2012, 10:46:18 AM
Does anyone use the pliers that Nomad sells on it's tackle site?

I don't know what brand they are, I think that they call them "custom" split ring pliers.

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 14, 2012, 11:31:58 AM
I know how you felt with the Accurates, Robert.  >:(
Very expensive and I agree, they are useless as splitring pliers.
The tip is too wide for small rings, and not long enough for large rings....
They have very good braid cutters though, and I only use them for this and dehooking.

The pliers Nomad sell work well, but are pretty big. I broke the splitring tip off a pair dehooking a fish, they were the Black Magic version.
To be fair, I was twisting them fairly violently, probably not good practice... ::)

Owner GP60's are my favorite splitring pliers.
With a lanyard clipped to a belt loop on your pants so they dont go overboard, they are small enough to live in your pocket all day.
Maintain them as you do your hooks after a trip, and they last.
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 14, 2012, 12:04:36 PM
Ken breaking the tips of that set of pliers (or at least ones that look very like them) is quite common. It seems that they are OEM produced in large numbers and tackle suppliers brand them as their own "house" pliers.  They look nice for sure but are not very practical with those relatively soft stainless steel tips. I have a couple of pairs, both with snapped tips, which I keep just for the braid cutters.
Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:18:59 PM by Mark Harris