• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Suitable size poppers for Keyolhu
January 21, 2013, 05:38:27 PM
Hi all
I'm looking to get some poppers to be used with a Smith GTK77 Keyolhu rod
Will be targeting medium sized GTs, Bohar, trevallies and Baraccudas,
I'm currently interested in value lures

From what I understand, the rod is better suited to pencil poppers, so big poppers will not be a very wise choice
Was thinking of Heru Cubera, but not sure which size will be better suited, the 125 or the 150 gm
Also considering Heru Skipjack in 150 gm, Adhek long Gobi, Halco Roosta

Largest stickbait I have is the Shimano Ocea 110gm, others are smaller more suited to tuna and likes, so any recommendations is highly appreciated

Mahmoud
Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:43:41 PM by Mahmoud + Salem

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Suitable size poppers for Keyolhu
January 21, 2013, 09:38:13 PM
Hi Mahmoud,

As you know I have this rod and whilst I was researching it I found that the guys at Anglers Outfitter in Singapore had used quite large poppers such as the Hammerhead G Cups as in their photos, so it isn't that limited........it has also landed some respectful sized GT's as well.

Have a look through their blog such as the link below as a start as there are a few blogs from various trips they have done using various rods from Smith and in particular the GTK-77BG.

http://anglersoutfitter.blogspot.com.au/2009/05/popping-maldive-09.html?m=1

Cheers,

Ian

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 22, 2013, 02:42:38 AM
Hi
I had these rod a while back. Perfect with fisherman longpen 100.
Skipjack150. Big stickbait like bigfoot180-230.
I had used it with hammerhead G-cup. Is ok but i dont recond it works it effectively.
Better suit to something with a shallower cup face like fullscale big kong200, fisherman big mouth 150

Ricky

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 22, 2013, 07:21:02 PM
Hi Mahmoud,

As you know I have this rod and whilst I was researching it I found that the guys at Anglers Outfitter in Singapore had used quite large poppers such as the Hammerhead G Cups as in their photos, so it isn't that limited........it has also landed some respectful sized GT's as well.

Have a look through their blog such as the link below as a start as there are a few blogs from various trips they have done using various rods from Smith and in particular the GTK-77BG.

http://anglersoutfitter.blogspot.com.au/2009/05/popping-maldive-09.html?m=1

Cheers,

Ian

Dear Ian, Thanks for the link, I like the bend in the first pic
I will be very satisfied if it works big cupped poppers in the 150gm effectively, don't think I need bigger for the size of GTs and red bass we have

Regards
Mahmoud

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 22, 2013, 07:32:42 PM
Hi
I had these rod a while back. Perfect with fisherman longpen 100.
Skipjack150. Big stickbait like bigfoot180-230.
I had used it with hammerhead G-cup. Is ok but i dont recond it works it effectively.
Better suit to something with a shallower cup face like fullscale big kong200, fisherman big mouth 150

Ricky

Dear Ricky, your recommendations makes a lot of sense and proves that Smith are precise to a great extent describing the rod action.

To clarify my question, I will use this rod as an all rounder (for now)and I will need to get some big-cupped poppers(big cup not necessarily big popper),
what do you think is the maximum size I should go with so that the rod tip has surplus power to work it properly and not be totally killed by the super-heavy poppers

Regards
Mahmoud

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 23, 2013, 12:22:37 AM
Kong 200, kong 180, big mouth130-150, hammerhead d cup, orion monster150,
Personally anything around 130-200gm with a shallow cup face 35-45mm

Ricky

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 23, 2013, 06:17:10 AM
Hi Mahmoud,

Yeah the bend is a good one as it gives you an idea of the rods fully loaded action (I think it is more than the 10kg they rate the rod at). There are few more around the net if you google.

Remember elephants eat peanuts, so size doesn't always matter ;D

All the best,

Cheers,

Ian
Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:21:52 AM by Ian Cook