• GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Luke,

Your reports are only rivalled by those of Nick (Wilbur Smith) Bowles.

The boys were a pleasure to fish with and the banter itself was worth the admission price.

On a personal note, getting to spend an extended period of time with talented fisherman such as yourself and Jono provided me with a fantastic opportunity to look at new ways and try new things. In such a prolific fishery as Halaniyat there is a tendancy to keep repeating the same patterns, be it in terms of lures, retrieves or locations. The fact that the GTs were unseasonally sporadic and generally scattered meant that good old fashion fish craft had to be employed, you have that in abundance and passed it on willingly. I also think that this diverse approach to GT fishing is probably good for the fishery as a whole as well. 

I'm pleased the fishing was tough and I put in thousands of casts. Big GTs are special and they have to be earned. As a result I'm a better fisherman and, at last, I can now make a Gamma dance regardless of the conditions or the drift. 

Bring on October!

Regards,

Trev

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Woah awesome report Luke! Indeed some chances at some big fish! We can only hope that even bigger captures come in part 3! Credit to Nicks operation for making these trips to remember where people smash PB's and have the time of their lives doing it. WAITING!!!

Thanks for the kind words Amr!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Luke,

Your reports are only rivalled by those of Nick (Wilbur Smith) Bowles.

The boys were a pleasure to fish with and the banter itself was worth the admission price.

On a personal note, getting to spend an extended period of time with talented fisherman such as yourself and Jono provided me with a fantastic opportunity to look at new ways and try new things. In such a prolific fishery as Halaniyat there is a tendancy to keep repeating the same patterns, be it in terms of lures, retrieves or locations. The fact that the GTs were unseasonally sporadic and generally scattered meant that good old fashion fish craft had to be employed, you have that in abundance and passed it on willingly. I also think that this diverse approach to GT fishing is probably good for the fishery as a whole as well. 

I'm pleased the fishing was tough and I put in thousands of casts. Big GTs are special and they have to be earned. As a result I'm a better fisherman and, at last, I can now make a Gamma dance regardless of the conditions or the drift. 

Bring on October!

Regards,

Trev

Hey Trev!

It was great to fish with you and like you say, the banter was worth the admission!

It's good to heave a team that gets on when the fishing is tough and nerves are on edge!

You definitely impressed with how quickly you tamed your Gamma - here's to many big fish in the future  8)

Luke

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Looks like the Hammer Heads did alright too?

Mostly Hammerhead E-Cups. Perfect lure to use all day that has great fish attracting power. The areas aren't too deep so you don't need the likes of a big heavy popper like a I-Cup.

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
Awesome stuff Luke
GT FIGHT CLUB

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Awesome reports Luke!! Really sorry I missed you guys as it looked like you guys had some good fun and fishing although tough at times!! next time big guy!!

I think you have started a new craze with the green fusilier get asked quite a few times a week if I can get them!! Looked like it was a perfect match the hatch!

Cheers,
Nick

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Awesome reports Luke!! Really sorry I missed you guys as it looked like you guys had some good fun and fishing although tough at times!! next time big guy!!

I think you have started a new craze with the green fusilier get asked quite a few times a week if I can get them!! Looked like it was a perfect match the hatch!

Cheers,
Nick

Incidentally, I actually didn't have one in my kit as they were all sold out!

There was definitely some market haggling and bartering for this exclusive commodity. I'm pretty sure I also witnessed Saud much like Golum rustling through Mitchell & Jono's kit bags!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

We definitely missed you, but it seems it's just going to be one of those years where fishing schedules don't quite gel! We will get there. Some big trips in the pipeline as you are aware. Sounds like Sami & the Brooklyn Gang have had some success - can't wait to see!

Regards,
Abu  Bob-Marlin

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Awesome stuff Luke

Thanks Charles - still hoping you are trying to get over that way this year!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:

Cheers,
Nick

Incidentally, I actually didn't have one in my kit as they were all sold out!

There was definitely some market haggling and bartering for this exclusive commodity. I'm pretty sure I also witnessed Saud much like Golum rustling through Mitchell & Jono's kit bags!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I nearly had a coronary when a Wahoo went for my only green fusilier Gamma last week.......... I just about got it back with a badly shredded leader. Damn Wahoos had already taken two other lures.

With all those fusiliers in Southern Oman I can see why this lure does so well!

And very well done to everyone involved in your trip. Great to see Jono with a stonking fish there.  Given Jono's casting, I am not all surprised that he was christened the "strong man"  8).
Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 04:18:10 PM by Mark Harris

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Mark,

Boy oh boy Jono can load up that rod, just look at that last picture. If I could put half that amount of kinetic energy into the rod and release it optimally like he does I'd be a very happy puppy.

On top of that, he can throw the top half of his rod further than I've ever seen anyone else do it.

Regards,

Trevor

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
There must have been some big bartering going onboard! Guys sleeping with lures under pillows etc! Looks like a great lure! I got a lot of my fish last week on the black and silver Gamma 160H, with the big flash bringing in the fish, seems it is the year of the Gamma! But barracuda, wahoo and shallow reefs make one very very nervous........

The Brooklyn Gang had a good trip with some nice fish but fishing was tough with water temps still going up and down like a yoyo, but Mr Sami landed a beast in about 1.5ms of water, spectacular stuff!

Hopefully we can get a few of the plans up and running, need to have a chat to you over the next week to confirm a few things. Hit it!!!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Mark,

Boy oh boy Jono can load up that rod, just look at that last picture. If I could put half that amount of kinetic energy into the rod and release it optimally like he does I'd be a very happy puppy.

On top of that, he can throw the top half of his rod further than I've ever seen anyone else do it.

First time I fished with Jono the casts frightened me and the whole boat  gasped :)  He was doing me by about 20 metres!