Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Smith Rod's tech talk
March 05, 2010, 06:00:02 PM
Hi. I would lightly sand with fine grit wet & dry and use wax to get it in all the way. My 3 month old KD broke because of such a problem around the fit and Smith refused to replace it saying the male should have been put in all the way. $400 USD for a top part + shipping to and from Japan. Will get it repaired elsewhere. >:(

Yep I also broke a KD last year at bugatti because of this problem. It's bee repaired now and it fit's perfectly  :)

Jin Kim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 05, 2010, 10:06:03 PM

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 05, 2010, 10:28:09 PM
It's funny you should bring this topic up Jin... I just checked my KD today and I too can only get the male ferrule in half way... but in Fiji, it slid in easily, all the way to just short of the epoxy???
I was just talking to Gav and he suggested honing the female part with fine steel wool. I have a little bit of knowledge of fly rod building and using sand paper on graphite rods is a really big no no. It might be safe to lightly sand a heavier GT rod... but it will be my absolute last resort.
Tanzania sounds like an awesome trip... you guys would have a blast! Just keep a close eye on Marco!
<*///><

AustralianAngling

March 05, 2010, 10:50:33 PM
Only use a very fine sand paper and clean out female / rod butt be very careful you do not remove to much though or rod will then be too loose.
Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:52:54 AM by Steve