NathanMcNiece

Whitsunday's extreme GT popping
September 30, 2009, 05:43:32 PM
Well ok, maybe not so extreme......ok depressing. but we are at the whitsundays at the moment and its not been easy, we have tried casting everywhere at anything, I've had one hook up on a good G which snapped me off on 90lb saltiga braid due to breaking strain which was devastating as the fish was  in relatively clear water, We've also had one strike on a stickbait and another follow but other than that it has been very quiet. We have tried casting at usual gt spots that have produced in the past but to no avail. We have used stickbaits, poppers, pencils and just about everything in between.

If anyone has some suggestions it would be great.

Ps: Jai bigheads get absolutely torn up by the big trebles smacking against them and lose there eyes.

Nate

NathanMcNiece

Re: Whitsunday's extreme GT popping
September 30, 2009, 06:06:54 PM
Just realised I posted this in the wrong section accidentally. Please Brandon or Luke if you want move this to the reports section it would be fine.

sorry
Nate

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
October 01, 2009, 10:46:41 AM
Nathan, firstly, you should be reminded that catching bugger-all in the Whitsundays is still infinitely better than struggling along at work! ;)

Mate, I reckon you should pull out the light gear.......from my experiences up there in that great part of the world, as soon as you start flinging lures around with lightweight gear, the big GT's magically (ironically!) switch on.  ;D Then once you've got the fish all amped up, go back to elephant guns. :)

Of course, using the lighter gear might increase your chances of bycatch (queenies, spaniards, trout etc) too.

What's the tidal movement like up there at the moment? On our Whitsunday trips, we've found that the less tidal variation there is, the harder it is to find feeding fish. I am going up there in about 8 weeks time, and we've timed our trip for the lead up to full moon, so hopefully that sees some good water flow and fish activity.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers
Angus

NathanMcNiece

October 01, 2009, 12:13:23 PM
Thanks mate, We managed to pull a good queenie out this morning from hook passage on a small roosta popper with light gear which lightened our moods a bit but still no GT's landed.

There really hasn't much tidal flow over the past week which has obviously made an impact on the fishing for the worse.

I' still kicking myself about the lost GT!

Thanks
Nate

NathanMcNiece

October 03, 2009, 11:49:55 PM
Well we managed to get out to edward island yesterday on our last day of the trip with beautiful and near full moon conditions so the tides were looking good. We found lots of current and more fuseliers! there were stacks of them. about 10 casts later at a small island/rock called yungilla island I managed to hook up to a really good gt which must have atleast been 25kg+ and after about a minute of fighting the fish and hearing the new sw18k scream one big run and then nothing! the hooks had pulled, and I was devastated. Kept casting to the spot to no avail. I was seriously bummed, so close yet so far  :(

Anyway I was using 90lb saltiga braid, sw18k and a T-curve GT special, I love the way this rod went over the trip. It pops medium to big chuggers really well and still works larger stickbaits efficiently. It also has alot of power once hooked up!

Nate