Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Towards then end of the local sambo season I noticed a slight grinding & rough retriece on my SW20k when retrieving 400g jigs from the deep. Sent it in to shimano for a service and got it back today. Apart from some small scratches I don't remember having before, the reel doesn't spin as freely as before. Before I sent it off the weight of the handle/knob was enough to get the reel spinning (if that makes sense), not anymore.  Apparently they replaced the pinion gear/drive shaft(?), is it just a case of letting the new parts wear in? excessive grease?
-Eric
Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:24:34 AM by Eric Tai

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
umm.....with new reels, gears dont wear "in"....they wear out!!  If they need to wear in then they havent shimmed the gears up right.
Before you sent it off to Shimano, was the reel grindy and rough when you were winding in without any rig attached??
Mine did the same thing and it was the line roller bearing corroded.

Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Only noticed the roughness when winding up jigs/rig attached. Line roller appears smooth. Decided to send it in after a day out with Al Bevan jigging in 250-300m; winding up jigs from that depth with a even slightly rough reel is a pain!

I'm tempted to open it up and take a look, but I'm probably better off leaving it incase something does decide to die again in the near future. I can even hear a soft clicking noise every time the spool moves down, that can't be good. Maybe it was damaged on the way back from over east?

Thien Dao

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
That clicking noise you hear is most probaly coming from wear on the worm gears...or so I was told by the guys from the Shimano service department. I have had it on a 10000 and 20000 Fa, and a 20000SW. A friend also experienced it on a 6000Fa. Each time, it was fixed free of charge by Shimano. Great service.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Eric, I think the best thing you can do is send it back to Shimano service with a clear, written explanation of the issues with the reel
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Eric,

I was actually having a discussion with my local tackle shop owner on "reels wearing in with use" tonight as i questioned why my Stella 10000SW is 'loosening up' (if i can use that terminology.... you all know what i mean).

I was informed that both Shimano and Daiwa (amongst other companies) pack their reels with grease (as they should) and after they have been used a few times they slowly loosen up.

As far as the funny noises go i cannot offer any explanation im afraid.... dont need to grease your reel do you... ha ha ha ha.

Please let us all know what the outcome is though.

Cheers,
Chris

Jamie Moir

I was informed that both Shimano and Daiwa (amongst other companies) pack their reels with grease (as they should) and after they have been used a few times they slowly loosen up.

Not to call your local store liars, but shimano and daiwa are infamous for shipping reels with near-dry bearings. They do this because it makes the reels seem very easy to spin.