January 02, 2011, 06:20:02 AM
jeeezzz i m kinda lost..... :D :D

Mark Gonsalves

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: thinest diameter braid
January 02, 2011, 07:20:31 AM
hay Mark what lb powerpro line do you fill your spooled with?and how many meter did you get away?

I use 10,20 lb for general purpose casting for small game (small GT, threadfin, scads, goatfishes,etc.).  I use 30,65 lb for soaking bait.  I use 65,100,150 for plugging and live baiting with leaders up to 300lb for GT.  I also use the JB hollow 200-300lb with l2l leaders for live baiting near pier areas.  I cant tell you how much line I put on the spools because I buy in bulk and just fill my spools.  My reels with braid are Stella 4000FD,FE, XG; 5000SW, 8000SW, 18000SW and 20000SWPG. 

When I compare the 65lb lines, Powerpro seems to have the smallest diameter....but I don't have the means to determine line diameter.  On the 200lb JB I probably get about 175 yards on my spare 16000SWPG spool.  With 65lb PowerPro, i suspect about 400+ yards on my 18000SW spool.  Not a rocket science report but just what I use.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 02, 2011, 01:00:14 PM
hay Mark what lb powerpro line do you fill your spooled with?and how many meter did you get away?

Only used 60 something lbs and 80 something lbs. Just spooled a standard 300 yards spool on a SW 18000 (with a lot of nylon backing). Both exploded (the 80lbs twice) casting 150 to 200 grams poppers. I sent an email to Shimano about this (along with a bill for the two Crafbaits lost forever   :'() and received no reply other than a standard "we value your custom" letter. There is a lot of fake PowerPro around but this was not - it was purchased at a Shimano direct dealer.
Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:37:19 PM by Mark Harris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 02, 2011, 01:09:44 PM
Another up for Tufline XP from me by the way - it's my 3rd choice casting braid behind the Varivas Avani in different forms and JB solid.
Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:37:56 PM by Mark Harris

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 02, 2011, 02:13:49 PM
So far my choise of braid would be Varivas , Sunline and Tufline XP , personally had never used PowerPro but witnessed a friend having had 4 consecutive line breaks using it .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 02, 2011, 11:21:48 PM
With Japanese brand PE line, I believe dyneema basically come from same company and only a few manufactures produce PE line within own factory and the rests are OEM, so diameter and strength shouldn't be too much different between Japanese brands.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 02, 2011, 11:49:31 PM
Tak, that is interesting.

Is the big Japanese Dyneema manufacturer Toyobo Corp?

Which of the main Japanese braid brands do you think are making their own product as opposed to badging from an OEM? .

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
January 03, 2011, 07:12:47 AM
It's my understanding that Dyneema is made by Nippon Dyneema in Japan, the other manufacturer is in the US, Honeywell makes Spectra. I think the original patent was called Dyneema, made by DSM High Performance Fibres in Holland, they no longer make it

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 03, 2011, 07:45:24 AM
Both are right - Nippon Dyneema is joint company between DSM and Toyobo.

Mark, my best guess is Sunline and YGK are making PE lines their own.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 03, 2011, 11:22:30 AM
Thanks Tak and Chris.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 03, 2011, 02:05:23 PM
Dyneema is the PE fiber and it still have to be weaved into PE line , it is true that DSM n it's affiliates produce the fiber but they don't make the PE line which we know as the fishing line , weaving them into fishing lines are done by the companies which are already familiar with us ; Varivas , Sunline , YGK , Western Filament , PowerPro , etc. .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 03, 2011, 02:26:32 PM
Sure Jon.

I think Tak's point though is that the weaving is done mostly by OEM factories and then badged by the familiar fishing brands we know so well, and that Sunline and YGK are two large companies that are likely to be doing that weaving themselves. At least that is how I read it.  I might be very wrong of course!

A small picky point  ;), but I think PowerPro is Spectra and not Dyneema?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 03, 2011, 04:34:26 PM
Hi Mark ,

Spectra is trademark used by Allied Signal which is the licensee of DSM ( Dutch State Mine ) for their Dyneema fibers , Allied Signal has been acquired by another company , if not mistaken by Honeywell which now own the Spectra trade mark , however some manufacturers of PE line in US tend to use different methods of weaving than the Japanese manufacturers , the US one is generally thicker but can be produced more economically , Tuffline XP remains one of my favourite n the best value in money spent on PE line .

Jon .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 03, 2011, 04:49:09 PM
Excellent information Jon.. thanks a lot for that.

I guess the us makers are more prone to using fusing techniques which makes the "braid" cheaper but rather more rough in texture? 

kriss brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 04, 2011, 01:23:59 AM
cheers for all the comments.

Open my eyes bit wide open. I think i will try both Varivas Avani and tuf line first.one of my reel is only 4500 sizel,up coming season for lbg i dont want my mate to be lauging out loud if i get spooled because of i dont have enough line.I will be throwing mainly pencil popper and stick baits.hope they will be all right.of course there will be many practice before time comes.
Tak, that is interesting.

Is the big Japanese Dyneema manufacturer Toyobo Corp?

Which of the main Japanese braid brands do you think are making their own product as opposed to badging from an OEM? .

I dont have much knowledge like you guys about lines.If my memory serve me right mate of mine told me Dyneema are manufacturer in china.Corp in Japan.The products come from china.wouldnt make diffrence in quality?