kriss brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
thinest diameter braid
December 31, 2010, 01:09:27 PM
hi
I would like to know what brands have the thinest diameter braid and good breaking strength? from 30lb to 50lb line class.apart from the tuf line.any comment would be appreciated.

cheers
kriss

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: thinest diameter braid
December 31, 2010, 01:23:29 PM
Kriss, assuming it is casting braid you are referring to (?), I think you need to consider more than the breaking strength versus diameter.

A number of braids on the thinner side have questionable shock absorbsing characteristics and have a tendency to "explode" when loaded up and cast with a heavy lure. I don't want to bag any specific  product but the ones in question are quite well known for this.

Taking that into account, I would recommend Varivas Avani BigOne (designed as a jigging braid) as the best narrow diameter versus bs braid I have cast in the weight class you mention:

PE3 - 48 lbs
PE4 - 64 lbs

Unlike some of the "super braids" around, never had any problems with this one at all.  Expensive for sure, but very reliable in my experience.

Jamie Moir

December 31, 2010, 01:40:31 PM
Read the Paulus VG Braid Buying Guide.

Some of the very expensive jap name brand braids are breaking a little under strength, Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid is doing really well for price v's strength & thickness.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 31, 2010, 02:13:06 PM
For a casting braid, I reiterate that the ability to deal with shock is a very important factor, along with the BS.

Eg on Paulus' tests, PowerPro tests quite well. But as I have experienced along with many others, this is a questionable option for heavy casting due to its tendency to explode under shock in mid air.

He is doing an admirable job with those tests but I think a GT fisherman needs to know a lot more than pure BS.  His testing techniques have also received some criticism on "other" forums :).
Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 04:04:59 PM by Mark Harris

kriss brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 31, 2010, 03:52:40 PM
hay mark & jamie

Thanks for the prompt reply.i have the quires about the line becuase when i tested few of the braided line they break under than what is stated on cover.for eg40lb line break around 35lb or under .And some line explode due to heavy casting too.dont like to mention the brand.I am land base angler by mainly.when hook to decent fish like spanish n long tail i need quite a bit of line.
The more i thought i know more about my tackle the less i knew.

Jamie Moir

December 31, 2010, 04:49:54 PM
Paulus has responded to the criticism on the other forum.

Kriss: how did you do your tests? One of the big problems with braid is that its much harder to get a knot that holds a high % of the line strength, this is given as one of the reasons that line manufactures provide braid that tests so much over it's rated breaking strain.

This probably relates to why thinner braids may have much lower knot strength.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 31, 2010, 05:01:24 PM
Kriss, looking at your objectives, go for Varivas Avani BigOne if your budget stretches to it. Very soft and supple and tests high in relatively thin diameters.

Although I  usually use Varivas Avani GT Max for casting, I have cast BigOne PE6 with lures as heavy as 180grams and no shock issues.  Every reason to expect the BigOne smaller diameters to similarly problem-free.
Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 05:43:44 PM by Mark Harris

Mark Gonsalves

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 01, 2011, 07:50:20 AM
For a casting braid, I reiterate that the ability to deal with shock is a very important factor, along with the BS.

Eg on Paulus' tests, PowerPro tests quite well. But as I have experienced along with many others, this is a questionable option for heavy casting due to its tendency to explode under shock in mid air.

He is doing an admirable job with those tests but I think a GT fisherman needs to know a lot more than pure BS.  His testing techniques have also received some criticism on "other" forums :).

I am a land based angler and PowerPro has ALWAYS been good for me.  I've also used JB solid and hollow and these lines are good too.  I used some Varivas my friend gave to me and it got shredded on the 2nd time I used it.....so I never used it again.  Never experienced any beakoffs during casting with the PowerPro (10 lb all the way through 150lb).  I'm not the biggest guy, but I can cast decently, with large lures too.  The PowerPro has held up pretty well considering the areas  I fish in are full of obstacles.  Just wanted to give another view of the line I use the most.

kriss brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 01, 2011, 04:33:33 PM
i have looked through paul guide.well research.thnks for the guidence.
I test my braid by tied one of the simple loop at the end of the line it hold 95 % of its strength.pulled directly straight from the reel without running through the rod guide.my spring system weighing is quite accurate.i have only tested to 40lb maximum.i had use numbers of brand but not Varivas Avani GTand JB hollow.With powerpro i have tried in 10lb line classes not soo many issued only sometimes with wind knot snaps.i blamed it more on me than the line.
hay Mark what lb powerpro line do you fill your spooled with?and how many meter did you get away?

I did mention earlier in the beginning of the topic about no comment about tuf line.but i would like to know what about the Tuf line with casting issued?IF anyone had used.

Jamie Moir

January 01, 2011, 05:09:21 PM
Testing the way you did, its very hard to separate the actual line strength from the knot strength.

Imagine you get sold line as 30lb, test your knots and they come out at 27lb, that looks great right? What happens if the line is really thick old hairy 60lb line, but one that ties shitty knots?

Nothing really wrong with tufline xp, I'm using their 15lb as my PE2 jigger and its great. A few people use the heavier classes for GT pop too it seems.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 01, 2011, 05:30:36 PM
Warwick who is on this forum fishes Powerpro with no problems casting at all, much as Mark G has experienced.  Kriss,  I use Tufline XP on a range of reels and have had no issues with it at all, love it.

Andrew Pennisi

January 01, 2011, 07:20:48 PM
Ive been using the Penn Pursuit Multi Coloured braid for the last couple of years and find it great.
Its an eight carrier braid, has a nice rounder profile and Knot strength is excellent. Has anyone Else on here tried it.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 01, 2011, 09:12:49 PM
Berkley Whiplash is one of the thinnest braid but not my favourite , I still stick with certain Varivas but not the thinnest version , still prefer some " beef " in the line for additional shock resistance .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Jamie Moir

January 01, 2011, 09:15:37 PM
They just make up the numbers for whiplash. Actual bears no resemblance to quoted diameter.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 01, 2011, 10:02:10 PM
Pleased to hear that PowerPro still has some fans :).