Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: thinest diameter braid
January 14, 2011, 10:23:22 AM
Warwick who is on this forum fishes Powerpro with no problems casting at all, much as Mark G has experienced.  Kriss,  I use Tufline XP on a range of reels and have had no issues with it at all, love it.

As Travis said, I have experienced no problem with the powerpro. However when I purchased the line it was still being made by the previous company, before Shimano bought them out. (if it makes a difference)
I was using 80lb. I have had no experience with powerpro since then. I found it rougher than other brands.

I am using Tuff line 100lb, sunline 8lb & 20lb and YGK jigman Dyneema in PE6. All of which I am happy with and have had no problems with.

My 2c :)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 14, 2011, 11:13:38 AM
That might be the key Warwick.  I have heard similar mutterings about PP formerly being reliable.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 14, 2011, 12:58:14 PM
The PowerPro factory is still the one and original. Shimano is simply the owner now and is encouraging and funding further research, devleopment and innovation.

The same Boss, R&D, machinery is all used.

Kevin Hulse

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 14, 2011, 01:07:22 PM
Has anyone tried Daiwa's TD Sensor Braid in the heavier beraking strains? If so how did it go?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 14, 2011, 01:17:18 PM
Thanks for that clarification Luke.

I guess that R&D is to thank for the PowerPro 10 metre colour change braid which is now apparently available (only) in Japan: http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/cat/detail.asp?k=100956

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 14, 2011, 02:13:27 PM
That might be the key Warwick.  I have heard similar mutterings about PP formerly being reliable.

As bad news travels faster than good, it is probably peoples bad experience and blaming the name change.

I have had no experience in braids exploding on the cast, maybe from a wrapped guide. I have seen a few bust offs at the reel from the impact of a big fish strikes, but you could blame that on old line and/or too higher drag.
I recon if your into tying on $100+ lures why skimp on the price of the line?
Maybe for me it comes down to the smoothness and roundness of the line, this equates to smoother casting for me.
Thats my other 2c  :)

kriss brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 15, 2011, 03:09:19 PM
Alot of your braids will break 20-30% less than what is said on the packaging or more less...Am i right?May only very top of the range might get to nearly 80% of on the packaging . So my question is why cant all the company state thier actual (real) breaking strength on all the packaging?Are they misleading us or there are more answers to the question?
Another point is also if my reel max drag is 10kg (22lb) .is there any point of using the line such as 30lb or 50lb??? cant i just get away with 25lb line?if my line really break at 25lb as packaging itself?

Sorry for all of these question.they are not making good judgements in my mind.

Jamie Moir

January 15, 2011, 03:51:18 PM
Kriss, a lot of braid breaks over, and mono too.

As for reasons it overtests so often, so badly, I have been offered the theory that because braid knots are a lower percentage of the line's breaking strain. Its not totally unrealistic either, the thinner the line, the worse the problems are with most knots and certainly one reason why a good braid to mono knot, then terminal is tied off to mono.

You generally fish about a third of line strength as drag, and your terminal knots are usually about 65% of line strength. That means on say 10kg gear, you would be pulling 3.33kg of drag out the guides, and your knots would breat at about 6.67kg. The gap between the drag setting and your knots failing is insurance and helps account for other issues, like the drag increasing as your spool empties etc.

Fishing 1/3 of line strength as drag is a rule, and rules are made to be broken. You might get really good knots and decide to fish more, you might move to jb hollow and uses 100% fingercuff splices and crimp!