Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Starter Pack- what type and how many?
October 16, 2007, 09:15:58 AM
I'm brand new to this and just setting up my gear (carpenter TBL arrived 2 days ago) so I'm looking for suggestions. Mooching around the local stores in Auckland hasn't helped much. It seems I could spend a truckload of money on poppers and not get what I really need. Can any body help me out and maybe suggest a list of types and numbers for a popper starter pack.
I've bought a bit of tackle from Plat.co.jp in the past - are their Tokara stickbaits OK?
Thanks
Trevor

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Starter Pack- what type and how many?
October 16, 2007, 11:02:59 AM
Blackjack/Heru/Nomad stickbaits work very well and are easy to use.  They are good allrounders if you're just starting out.

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 16, 2007, 04:13:44 PM
Hi Trevor ,you would be one of very few to have a Carpenter rod in NZ big congrats on that.
Have you got a reel for it yet?
As for poppers check out the Jone's tackle link on this forum they have all the good stuff.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
October 16, 2007, 04:57:25 PM
I'm picking up a Stella 10000 tomorrow- Only the second spin reel I've ever owned but the first one , a Stella 4000 for softbaits, was so smooth I figured Big Brother would be a good bet.
The carpenter rod feels a lot different to the Calstars I usually use  :o so with a long week-end coming up I'll be out practicing casting. :)
I had a look at the Jones site but without a CD catalogue there is not much to see.
Thanks for the encouragement
T

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 16, 2007, 06:24:19 PM
With the STELLA 10000 you will have an awesome set up there Trevor.
One site you could check out for poppers and stickbaits is the Bluewater Tackle World in Perth.
Practice casting poppers for kings they wont no what hit them if you hook up.
Plenty of kings in the harbour at Tauranga at the moment ,not huge but they are there.My guess is they will be in up your way too.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 16, 2007, 08:22:08 PM
The Tokara stickbait is very much a surface stickbait. It works best in calm water.

Which TBL did you get - the 711 or 80? While the TBL is excellent for stickbaits, big chuggers are not its forte. While you could probably get away with a smaller chugger, this will depend on whether you have the 711 or 80. The 80 may be a bit light on

I'm brand new to this and just setting up my gear (carpenter TBL arrived 2 days ago) so I'm looking for suggestions. Mooching around the local stores in Auckland hasn't helped much. It seems I could spend a truckload of money on poppers and not get what I really need. Can any body help me out and maybe suggest a list of types and numbers for a popper starter pack.
I've bought a bit of tackle from Plat.co.jp in the past - are their Tokara stickbaits OK?
Thanks
Trevor
If it swims; I want to catch it!

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 17, 2007, 05:00:11 AM
Can any body help me out and maybe suggest a list of types and numbers for a popper starter pack.

I think the best thing to do, it seems to work, is just buy everything until your money runs out. Then keep looking at things that are better than the things you've bought and get angry that you no longer have money to buy them!

Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
October 17, 2007, 05:50:57 AM
TBL 80. Does this mean if I want to pull in "chuggers" I will need to buy another rod? OUCH$$$$$
Would a Calstar 800H do the trick? It would be a lot easier for me to have one of those made than wait for another Carpenter. I see Luke has an 800M for sale , 2 piece. I've never seen a two piece calstar before.(not deliberately anyway) Is there a rod builder in OZ who does these popper rods well?....... and cheap?
Thanks All
T

MikeOsborn

October 17, 2007, 06:09:34 AM
Trevor where are you in Auckland? there is a guy up in manly beach that builds very very nice high end rods, I am sure he would be keen to build a popper rod if you can pry him away from his jig rods at the moment.

Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
October 17, 2007, 06:41:17 AM
Mairangi Bay
so Manly is close. Do you have any other details?
Thanks
T

MikeOsborn

October 17, 2007, 07:22:41 AM
I am also in Mairangi Bay

pm Sent

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 17, 2007, 07:26:15 AM
'It's a small world' :D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 17, 2007, 12:31:46 PM
Trevor ,

STL10000FA is a bit too big for TBL80/30RF SHP , either STL8000FA or STL6000FA is a better choise for this rod . This rod is fine for stickbait n pencil poppers up to 125 gr. , for chugger you will need another rod , perhaps SP78H SHP for chugger up to 150 gr. .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mark Gonsalves

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 18, 2007, 06:59:30 AM
Aloha.

I just returned from Christmas Island (Republic of Kiribati).  I used both the Yo-zuri Surface Cruisers and Surface Bull GT and the Bull outfished the Cruiser......more water pushing I guess.  Raised some large ones but only caught the smaller ones,  40lbs+ the largest.  My partners caught 12+GTs around 20-30lbs using Gibbs Pencil Poppers until the Surface Bull came out.  Hope this helps a little.

Mark

Paul Taylor

October 18, 2007, 07:40:04 PM
Brandon,

Your advise would be appreciated.

Within the Carpenter range which would be the prefered rods for casting medium to large poppers.

I am approx 6'6" tall.

Regards Paul