Aaron Concord

Jean-Marc,

Are you related to Marcel Maujean of CCC??

On the unusal front, I had a bunch of Collared Sea Bream smack the heck out of 100gm sized poppers at Arlington Reef one day.......terrible hook-up rate on the things!

Here are a couple mammals taken by the lure of the lure out at Marion Reef 2006.

Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I was popping fishing for juveile g's that were busting up over a little sand drop off. Managed to land a 6lb flathead that come up from 4m to slam my little popper. Thought that was pretty unusual for a bottomr dwelling species
 :D

Daniel Kaggelis

I recently had a big black spot tusk fish have a go at a cubera. It was around 8 - 10 kg and would have been awesome fight on the stella. 

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I recently had a big black spot tusk fish have a go at a cubera. It was around 8 - 10 kg and would have been awesome fight on the stella.

That would have been a sweeeet catch  ;D

Daniel Kaggelis

The tuskys are thick up my way and often live in the same spots as the smaller 10 -15kg GTs. You can't miss them as they are so electric blue. I get several on soft plastic but keen for one on popper or stick bait

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
What's a tusky?

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
What's a tusky?

Mark, we call them blue bone or bluey's they come in a fair few variety's and their main diet is crustations etc.
Oh and delish! ;D
They would be a spectacular catch on a popper, they are hard enough to get a hook into to start with!

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=tusk+fish&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=dlf&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zbOaTeObEsr4ce-G6NkF&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1020&bih=595

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Ah Parrotfish of various species it seems!  Thanks very much Warwick.

Catching one of those on a light popping set up would indeed be a lot of fun. I have had a couple on inchiku jigs.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Ah Parrotfish

Thats the other name, it had escaped me earlier. ;)

Juan Sala

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
This sweet lips!!!bite a black seafrog in kilwa

Nick Darling

• Past Sponsor
  • Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Hi Guys, This is not so strange but I had to boat this wee Grey Reef shark to get my lure back!!!

Nick

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Ah Parrotfish

Thats the other name, it had escaped me earlier. ;)

However parrotfish have beak-like teeth whereas tusk fish are named for their tusk-like canine teeth. In this part of the world tusk fish are much more prized than parrotfish.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It seems from the link that the term "Tusky"  is used colloquially in Australia for both Parrotfish and Tuskfish?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It seems from the link that the term "Tusky"  is used colloquially in Australia for both Parrotfish and Tuskfish?

Perhaps on the east coast I'm not sure Mark but over here on the west it's usually bluebone or bluies for tuskfish and parrotfish for parrotfish. We don't really use the term tusky. Personally I think it would be incorrect to refer to a parrotfish as a tusky?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Yep, I would agree it is confusing Jay. Common or colloquial names for fish so often are!