Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
tackle shops in singapore
March 23, 2011, 09:50:06 PM
Hi all, I will find myself in singapore in late may for work.

Any recommendations for tackle stores in the area?

Thanks in advance.

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: tackle shops in singapore
March 23, 2011, 09:56:15 PM
There's quite a few shops of interest over there Geoff.  Anglers Hut, Kaiser Proshop, Anglers Outfitter just to name a few. Head down to Beach Road, the majority are located there.
AKA: Sunny

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 23, 2011, 09:59:07 PM
You will not find better than forum sponsor Kaiser Pro Shop. A few mins walk from Bugis MRT stop.  Map: 
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=kaiser+pro+shop&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I am sure KPS will not mind me telling you that there are several other tackle shops only a few minutes walk from their door in the Beach Road area, so loads of opportunity for a good browse.

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 23, 2011, 10:13:56 PM
Thanks Gentlemen.

I think I am staying at Orchard plaza. Is that near beach road?

What are the  fishing opportunities around singapore? (i'll fish ponds for different stuff if i have to) prefer flyfishing.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 24, 2011, 12:48:27 AM
Thanks Gentlemen.

I think I am staying at Orchard plaza. Is that near beach road?

What are the  fishing opportunities around singapore? (i'll fish ponds for different stuff if i have to) prefer flyfishing.

Fishing in Singapore is regarded by most Singaporeans I know as pretty grim :) . Best opportunities are probably artificially stocked pay ponds but others will know way better than me. Have a dig around at the Singapore fishing forum here: http://www.fishingkaki.com.

Orchard Plaza is right by Somerset MRT. Take the red line from there two stops to City Hall, change to green line, one stop to Bugis and you are at the stop for Beach Rd. http://www.smrt.com.sg/trains/network_map.asp

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 24, 2011, 07:13:18 AM
You can fish for prawns  ;D

There is a fly shop within walking distance from Kaiser shop, they might be able to put you onto some peacocks in the reservoirs

Call me , I'll give you some phone no's  ;)
Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:49:38 AM by Chris Young

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 24, 2011, 11:28:41 AM
Geoff, from Orchard Plaza, its not that far to walk to Beach Road and Bugis. http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel_id_6451/travel_site_22938/

Just walk along Orchard Road down towards Bras Basah - plenty of window shopping, historical monuments and eye candy to be had along the way. When you see Raffles Hotel, make a left turn to Beach Road and plenty of tackle shops there.

Kaiser PS and Anglers Outfitters are fairly close together for your popping and jigging stuff and there's Coho next door to AO - they supply fly tackle. There's also Sabre on Beach Road - varivas lines galore!

Richard's Anglers Hut is a little harder to get to - need a cab for that.

As for fishing, don't expect too much. There are a few pay ponds and you might want to try toman (snakehead) fishing at Bottletree pond, like what Brandon does when he's here. You can even do fly fishing there as well.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 24, 2011, 12:35:42 PM
Last time i was in Singapore i stopped in at kaiser Pro Shop and Eric was very helpful not to mention knowledgable.

A great experience and i highly recommend visiting this store.

Cheers,

Chris

Garry Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 24, 2011, 03:48:29 PM
and if time is an issue, just catch a cab (taxi is so dam cheap over there)to beach road from there on its all heaven for anglers within walking distance, there are a few tackle shops located not on beach rod but its very short walking distance from beach rod really worth of visit-one of them is the site sponsor kaiser pro shop.
i am sure the other tackle shop dont mind pointing you to the right direction like they did to me when i hop from one tackle shop to another to visit all of them in one day

Kaiser Pro Shop

March 25, 2011, 01:13:12 AM
Thanks guys for the kind words  :D

Narc

March 25, 2011, 01:46:34 PM
From orchard plaza to beach road by taxi, it'll cost you no more than SGD$10, so just hop on the taxi.

As for fishing, there are some freshwater ponds where you can try fly fishing for species like redtail catfish, mekong catfish and barramundi ... not too sure on the strike rate these days though.

Anthony Dillon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 26, 2011, 01:20:45 PM
Geoff,

there is a some reasonably good light tackle fishing with a guide called Ahmed close to Pulau Ubin just off pasir ris ( spelling). This captain is one of the best I have ever fished with and knows the water  incredibly well as he has fished these waters from a young age. Weekends he if booked weeks in advance. Weekdays much easier. Happy to put you in touch with him. send me a message

Anthony

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 28, 2011, 06:03:37 PM
With the current exchange rate, does anyone know if there is much saving to be had stocking up on poppers while in Singapore?

Travelling over from Aus for a couple of days shortly.

They seem to stock a good range at some of the shops there, so perhaps it is worth stocking up on that basis alone, but some of the sites I have looked at dont seem to quote prices.

Al Morrison

March 29, 2011, 05:58:58 PM
Geoff, I think i am back there then too. I've done a fair bit of light lure fishing in the reservoirs (mostly legal too) for peacock bass and have been known to fling baits out for Toman too, Kranji is one of my faves. Chasing wild toman in the reservoirs is best around spawning time (April/May might be OK) You can certainly fly fish for the PB's in a few places. Coho is the shop to go to - ask for Alvin. I dont know if many other people still do it, but i used to float tube fish for barra around Singapore and caught quite a few on fly back in the 90's. Just dont let the stingrays, mangrove snakes and the Salties get in your head. They all exist but are always somewhere else! Bottle tree park is a laugh for exotics such as red tail cats. Its VERY commercial fishing though. Its possible to fish for small barra, GT's etc from some of the beaches using soft plastics and lures. You just have to know where to go and be prepared to walk and sweat a lot for the reward. Lets face it, a bad days fishing is better than a good day at work. If you have a weekend or two in Singapore remember Rompin is only a short drive up the coast. All the previous shops are worth a visit. Halco lures are cheaper in Sabre on Beach road than anywhere i have found in Aus. Anglers Outfitters, Kaiser and Xpedition will empty your wallet with superb toys quicker than a Las Vegas Hookers convention.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 02, 2011, 11:04:49 PM
With the current exchange rate, does anyone know if there is much saving to be had stocking up on poppers while in Singapore?

Travelling over from Aus for a couple of days shortly.

They seem to stock a good range at some of the shops there, so perhaps it is worth stocking up on that basis alone, but some of the sites I have looked at dont seem to quote prices.

I think you will find prices significantly lower than in Australia.