Jay Kim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: JM Ocean Devil GT Special
February 10, 2015, 11:29:58 PM
No worries, could easily run PE10 off it the rod will take it, PE8 feels more comfortable to me.

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
February 13, 2015, 03:14:36 PM
NS Black Hole Big Bop 76 is way too soft.
IMHO its a PE5 rod at best.
Had one. It basically is good for fish up to 15kg if you want any sort of lifting power at all.
Sold mine as the Stella 10k I had it on was too much reel for it.

I had a look at the various BH rods and see that that all have a very wide PE rating i.e some from PE6 to PE10 and questioned how this could work and wondered which end of the spectrum they felt like.  Thanks for indicating that they feel way too soft and therefore are on the lighter end of their rating.

Craig
Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:33:49 PM by Craig Maree
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
February 13, 2015, 04:34:38 PM
NS Black Hole Big Bop 76 is way too soft.
IMHO its a PE5 rod at best.
Had one. It basically is good for fish up to 15kg if you want any sort of lifting power at all.
Sold mine as the Stella 10k I had it on was too much reel for it.

I had a look at the various BO rods and see that that all have a very wide PE rating i.e some from PE6 to PE10 and questioned how this could work and wondered which end of the spectrum they felt like.  Thanks for indicating that they feel way too soft and therefore are on the lighter end of their rating.

Craig

Craig,

I fish with BH Cape Cod Special 8,6N and 7,6G with JB Hollow and they are perfectly ballanced.

Have not fished the Big Bop rods yet...

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
February 13, 2015, 07:33:04 PM
Thanks Gerhard.

Its difficult when you can't feel the rod and you have to rely on their stated rating, which for the rods you use is from PE5 to PE10 and from PE6 to PE10, which to me is very wide rating and makes me question which side of the rating do the rods actually lean to?

I do see a few reports from members that BH rods are generally soft and lean more towards the lighter end of their rating.

Maybe one day we get to fish together and I will have a test cast with your rods.

Awesome that you opened your account with GT's on top water, did you get a measurement of your fish?
Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:50:38 PM by Craig Maree
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Damien Rynja

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 15, 2015, 11:54:11 PM
I'll sell you my (well used) PE8 76GT for > $250!

On a more serious note, I have an ocean devil 6" jig rod rated 0.8 to 2.5 and I think it's definitely in the upper range. I couldn't tell you if that characteristic carried through the range though. Are you not able to get to fish head to feel the rod for yourself? Duncan (from fish head) is an acquaintance of mine if you'd like I could ask some of his personal input?

(But seriously I'll sell you the rod haha)

Matt Bews

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 17, 2015, 01:32:00 PM
Thanks Damien, I'll give the guys at fish head a call for some targeted feedback and try to get in and see them. Thanks for the offer mate but I'm a bit pedantic with rod condition, happy to buy second hand though.