Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Rigging knots
April 01, 2009, 07:23:32 PM
Brandon...I must have been lucky mate!, last sharky I got went 7-8ft, got it to the boat in quick time and then gave it a bit of slack and it shook the hook out?? gotta love it when a plan comes together cause it wasn't coming in the boat  ;)

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
April 01, 2009, 08:49:50 PM
Abit off topic but we had a number of sharks follow the poppers yesterday, no striks but id say give it more time and they would have had a go! only had shark hook ups after hooking fish jigging.
PoPpInG mAd

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 03, 2009, 10:35:45 AM
Yep... as Brandon said, alot more common than you think. Here's one from last weekend.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 03, 2009, 11:48:11 PM
that's a good photo!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Fraser Simpson

April 16, 2009, 09:19:15 AM
I tried assists and didn't like them. I always felt that they were the weak link. If you aren't confident in your rig, youy never fish to 100%.

I do however like the idea of assists. I have seen plenty of fish lost through hooks bending, which is no doubt due to the leverage fish are able to exert onto the bend of the hook whilst fighting. I get round this now by rigging an owner #10 split ring to the lure, swivel off that, followed by a further split ring to the hook. There is lots of free movement at the hook, and a fish would have next to zero leverage to bend or force the hook out.

Saves on rigging wire assists, there are no weak link knots or crimps, and still all the benefits of wire.

Cheers,
SIMMO

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 16, 2009, 09:35:55 AM
I tried assists and didn't like them. I always felt that they were the weak link. If you aren't confident in your rig, youy never fish to 100%.

I do however like the idea of assists. I have seen plenty of fish lost through hooks bending, which is no doubt due to the leverage fish are able to exert onto the bend of the hook whilst fighting. I get round this now by rigging an owner #10 split ring to the lure, swivel off that, followed by a further split ring to the hook. There is lots of free movement at the hook, and a fish would have next to zero leverage to bend or force the hook out.

Saves on rigging wire assists, there are no weak link knots or crimps, and still all the benefits of wire.

Cheers,
SIMMO

Despite the inherent problem of hooking a shark - yes I use this and don't have any issues.

However, if you are breaking assists and they aren't from teeth abrasion - then you are probably using pre-made rigs out of a packet?

Make your own from the appropriate class dyneema and i'm sure you will think differently.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 16, 2009, 01:27:21 PM
I think the big Shout assists are good notwithstanding Tak having out almost straightened out and the solid ring being deformed.

i've never seen so many hooks damaged during a trip!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 17, 2009, 02:27:22 PM
Has anyone tried the fisherman siden assist hooks? I have some of the no.13 which has a very wide gape.

Was thinking of taking some to Bugatti/marion early next month, comments for or against appreciated as I'd like to properly manage my tackle kit for the trip.

Thanks in advance.
Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:29:13 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Shane Hartstone

April 17, 2009, 07:36:11 PM
The fisherman Siden's are an awsome looking hook, I have used them for Jigging big NZ Bass, who's upper jaw can be as thick as your wrist.  I havn't seen a hook with a wider gape.