Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
South East Queensland would have to be having one of the best Trevally runs of all time throughout our Rivers and Estuaries.
Juvenile GT's,Big-Eye Trevally,Diamond Trevally,Golden,Cale Cale Trevally,Longnose and Tea-Leaf Trevally are all in the mix providing for some fantastic entertainment on 4 and 6lb gear.

The special captures for me are the Diamond Trevally and not only are these fish pretty stunning to look at,but they go like hell on light gear and give a very serious account of themselves.They are still one of the rarer Trevally Species but enough make an appearance to make them a viable target.That swear word 'Soft Plastics' accounts for most Diamonds and I havent heard of any taken from the surface unfortunately.

Few pics from this winter so far.

Cheers,
Pete

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Nice one Pete, looks like great fun - i've wanted to catch a Diamond for a long time now, interesting to know they are around in relatively decent numbers down there.  Few questions - is that a hairtail?!?  Third from the bottom - juvenile diamond?  What's that popper in the close-up...awesome prawn imitation.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Travis,

Yes, Hairtail....They too have been around in numbers on the Sunny Coast this year.

Third from the Bottom is a Cale Cale Trevally....funny looking fish with a pronounced bottom Jaw.
Great little fighters.

The little Popper is a Zipbait ZBL popper.

They seem harder to find than a Gamma.

Pete

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Mate that is some awesome light tackle fishing there, great stuff....it makes heading to Botany Bay for some bream down here in Sydney downright depressing  :(

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Third from the Bottom is a Cale Cale Trevally....funny looking fish with a pronounced bottom Jaw.
Great little fighters.

Cale Cale hey - you sure?  Looks like the bastard love child from of a tryst between a Diamond and a Silver to me  ;) ;D

Mark Armistead

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Very nice photos Pete

Ladd Yoshimura

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Awesome light game action!

Sam Owen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hey Pete,
Awesome photos and top fun on the ultra light gear! Those diamonds are beautiful fish to look at and go great on the light tackle! I caught one flicking small plastics in the harbour for frigates in Wollongong! Must have been somewhere at the southern range of their distribution?
Cheers.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Sam, for guys like you and Pete who are going to be in Bugatti in August, the light fishing there can be absolutely amazing. Pete can tell you how many varieties they got in a day when they went out one day to only fish light tackle specifically
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Sam, for guys like you and Pete who are going to be in Bugatti in August, the light fishing there can be absolutely amazing. Pete can tell you how many varieties they got in a day when they went out one day to only fish light tackle specifically

Brandon is very easy to talk into a day of light tackle fun.....just as I am..

Sam, the light tackle stuff is pretty awesome as there are just so many different species on offer.

I think our list was Bludger,Gold spot and some very respectable GT's on light gear.
Shark mackeral,Spanish mackeral,Mack Tuna,Longtails,Pennant fish,Spangled Emperor,Green Jobfish,Cod,Longnose Emperor,Trout  etc etc.....

Pete

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It's a great idea to have the light tackle with you because you can then have a lot of fun during the slow periods for GTs. The variety of fish on the flat when the tide is up can be amazing. The only difficulty is dragging yourself away from that when it is time to fish for GTs again!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It's a great idea to have the light tackle with you because you can then have a lot of fun during the slow periods for GTs. The variety of fish on the flat when the tide is up can be amazing. The only difficulty is dragging yourself away from that when it is time to fish for GTs again!

When you say 'light' tackle, Brandon, exactly how light are we talking?

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I think 20-30lb out there would be as light as I dare.....you just dont know what you are going to hook thats the prob...
I got my bum kicked pretty badly by red bass in Vanuatu using 30lb but I did stop a couple.
PE 3 for me this trip.

Pete

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Sweet light tackle Pete.
I think the whole trev population has moved south this winter, conditions have been perfect here on 2 trips and not a word of a trev anywhere :(

Sam Owen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Brandon, Pete

No ones going to have to twist my arm to hard for some topwater light tackle fun! Friends and I had a go at chucking stickbaits on PE3 (Yamaga 75/4 - 5000SW) to the masses of 30 odd kg sbt's the other week down bermagui was awesome fun! Got some pretty cool video of all the action will have to bring up to show you guys at bugatti  :D
Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:45:29 PM by Sam Owen